Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do solicitors cost for traffic summons?

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Victorone

Yes I don't think they could defend, but rather would represent, for exactly the reasons you've said. The whole thing has been a lesson and one I hope I'll never have to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The insurance company might say that they believe they will ultimately be found liable. That does not mean they have settled or will settle anytime soon. They may well let the o/p defend the case and see if anything turns up. Insurance companies often have someone at an inquest to note anything which might help in dealing with a claim. Sometimes the claiming driver is caught out in a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Some years ago I remember getting insurance and an additional (apparently at no extra cost!) policy which would cover personal legal costs.

That may be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The OP's insurance has settled, it's a done deal. I stated that in the post you quoted. See post #3 - 'all settled last year'.

So the outcome of the careless driving case will have no bearing on the issue of civil liability, that has already been conceded. Because even if he is found not guilty, that doesn't mean the other guy was at fault and the insurance can attempt to claw their money back, it simply means that the Gardai failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. But the bar for civil liability is much lower and the OP's insurance have probably seen the dashcam video and thrown in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is still open to the other driver to make a personal injury claim. the insurance will not want a guilty plea in case that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it the practice for an insurance company to settle with a specific party for material damage while leaving the option open for the same person to later lodge a personal injury claim?

I thought they only paid out if the party agreed to accept the payment as a 'full and final' settlement. What you're suggesting is that a motorist could be compensated for the damage to his car but he would be free to lodge a whiplash or similar claim a year later?

Hi, the other driver made a personal injury claim last year and it was settled for 6k. (in addition to car fix of 8k) Are you saying there could be another personal injury claim, I would have thought that wasn't possible?

Appreciate that!

Post edited by Victorone on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Advice here. Best outcome is the guard doesn't turn up but still pay the solr. E4-5k a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

At this stage now you are dragging the a**e out of it. Just get a solicitor to represent you. They will seek disclosure the next time it’s up in court and you will know exactly what is in the careless driving charge against you (i.e the evidence) and your solicitor can advise from there. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭halfpastneverr

If this is in Dublin, go to Court 8 in the CCJ (the summons court that deals with most non drink drive road traffic offences) and see what solicitors are handling the majority of cases. There would be 3 or 4 who have the court sewn up, are there every day & know all the traffic guards and court staff and the personalities and pet hates of the Judge's that sit there. When the court rises, pull one of those solicitors aside and explain your situation. Unless you have a high income and have minimum outgoings like no children and no mortgage or rent, you will very likely be covered by legal aid. The solicitor would explain this to you as well.

Ringing around solicitors is no use, as many of them would cover regular district court cases alright, but plenty wouldn't be too familiar with road traffic stuff. The firm that's on about 3x court appearances and barrister sounds like one of them.

@peter4918 hardly, I'm responding if someone asks me something, is that not the norm here? I already have if you read my post from last week.

Tks, that's what I've done.

Advertisement