Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAINFALL - May 2023 To March 2024 - how wet ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I have 400 bare root beech hedging plants that I need to get in the ground ASAP but parts of the areas where I want to plant are under water and will remain so for the next while, areas that don't normally become submerged at any time. The window for planting bare root is rapidly drawing to a close. If I manage to get half the plants in the ground in the next couple of weeks, I will be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Unlikely. The national average (keep in mind, I use different stations to what the Met uses when they give their public statements with regards to national records) is nearly 40mm below last March at the moment. Even March 2019 was wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

In Dublin last week it was mostly nice and dry. At least 4 or 5 dry sunny/cloudy days.

I am not seeing this constant rain at all.

It did rain today, but now dry for the evening and mostly sunny/cloudy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Your lucky. Even st Patrick's day didn't dry up until 3pm with me. Today was wet cold and miserable for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Unlikely probably but some stations are already wetter than last year. Shannon for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Mywifetoldme

If you go on Met.ie, click on climate, available data, historical data,the map will take you to over 400 local weather stations.

Zoom in on the map and choose the weather station nearest you.

The nearest one to me is Bawnashkehy which is near Castleisland Co Kerry.

Click on precipitation amounts and it will tell you how much rain every day had.

For the last 6 months of 2023 there were 19 dry days!

The data for 2024 has not been updated yet.

I don't rule out a new national record but individual records can always happen.

Shannon's wettest March on record is 2019 with 177.2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My weather station in Cork is bang on 100mm for March 2024 so far, and any bit of wind and it doesn't register at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I am gone over 150mm here in tipp on top of another 150 in February!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I never checked that before. Over 1500mm of rain last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

was shocked by this graphic but it checks out. very depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mywifetoldme

Yes,its sort of hiding away, I go looking for it ever now and then, and forget how to find it.

Now I have it written down here, I might remember where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pureza

299 for the year so far in Arklow which is about average but not dramatic

140mm last month,115 so far this month

It's actually less rain for me so far this year compared to 2023 at this time

It's still horrendously wet though after the September to December deluges

Just keep in mind, there will be discrepancy between the synoptic stations (the 25 ones you see on pages like current observations/yesterday's weather/monthly data etc) and the climate stations on that. Much of the synoptic station data is midnight to midnight whilst climate stations are 09-09. This may not seem like much at first sight but it's worthy to note when comparing.

For instance, say we had Valentia (a synoptic station) with a daily rainfall of 50mm and this is measured from midnight to midnight. Over 25mm of this falls before 9 am. Doesn't make a difference to Valentia as it measures from 00-00 as already mentioned. However, if we have a climate station at nearby Waterville that records similar amount for the sake of this. That means its daily fall will be half of Valentia with 25mm because it started recording for that day at 0900 despite both stations having the exact same amount of rainfall during the calendar day.

At its most simplest form that I can explain, be careful when comparing synoptic stations and climate stations in rainfall. Treat them as entirely different things because they are really with the times they record for. You may not compare yourself but others might do and it's important to say this.

St Pats was lovely in Dublin for the most part.

Currently bright blue skys here, though there was some rain early in the morning.

Clear night ahead and weekend looks dry & on into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Saturday: It looks set to be another rather unsettled but perhaps milder day overall. A brisk southerly flow will usher in plenty of showers during the afternoon and evening, some possibly heavy a times too. Highest temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees.

Sunday: Current models indicate that the unsettled weather will remain for Sunday with showers nationwide in the afternoon and evening together with blustery southerly winds. Perhaps slightly milder too with

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

South of Cork city and currently at 177mm for the month and 517mm for the year so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"It started to rain about the 15 June 2023, and it has never stopped since" says a farmer. "The incessant rainfall and shocking ground conditions are adding hugely to costs and stress levels for farmers," says another. Met say 2023 was the third wettest year on record going back to 1940.

Met says it was wet

Dublin Airport recorded 115.4mm, which is 219% of its average rainfall for March. 2024 and 2023 are now two of the three wettest Marches on record at the station, along with 1947.

The highest daily rainfall total was 45.3mm at Dublin Airport on 1 March – its highest daily rainfall for March on record.

The number of rain days recorded ranged from 20 days at Belmullet, to 29 days at both Shannon Airport and Ballyhaise

As I had thought, March 2024 didn't turn out as wet as 2023. It nationally averaged 131.8mm versus 144.7mm in March 2023 but make no mistake, that is still exceptionally wet. Likely the 4th wettest March in the past 45 years with probably 1982 and 2019 also being wetter on a national scale. 2019 averaged 141.4mm on this dataset of 11 stations I use, don't have a figure for 1982 but many individual stations had their wettest on record then.

It was the 2nd consecutive wetter than average month and 7 of the past 9 months have been wetter than average. November was basically near average (with a high average) and January was relatively dry but not especially so. Last May was the last month with an anomaly of at least 20mm below national average. February 2023 was the last very dry month.

July 2023-March 2024 had a national average of 1165.3mm. A typical July-March period would have 875.1mm. That's 133% of average which for national is huge.

If we go from September 2022-March 2024 as that's when the current wet era really started rather than last July, Ireland has averaged 2198.1mm over this 19 month period compared to a typical 1797.7mm and is 122% of average which again is huge. The longer a timeframe of incorporating more data, the harder it gets to get extreme anomalies so 122% is extreme in of itself. This isn't significantly greater than August 2019-February 2021 though which was also exceptionally wet at 2172.3mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'd love to see cumulative rainfall stats dating back to June 13th last summer.

That day I travelled from the Midlands to Limerick for a graduation. Like the first two weeks of June there was bright sunshine on my journey down. However driving back home I could see dark cumulus clouds developing in front of me. As I neared home the flashes of lightning appeared, and some of the heaviest downpours I ever witnessed. By that weekend some of the most spectacular thunder and lightning storms appeared that I have ever witnessed.

That was the end of our summer in 2023.

Exactly one month later floods arrived on the Shannon Callows, and have remained there since. I have never seen the callows submerged for so long. Four, five maybe even six months in a bad winter, but it is coming up on 9 months now. The callow lands will not be of any use this year.

Post edited by joebloggs32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The difference really between Aug 2019 - Feb 2021 and the recent spell is that we had that amazing period of dry, calm, sunny weather during the first lockdown. And the weather was alright that summer - you had nice days.

Since July 2023 we have not had a week of nice, high pressure dominated weather. The rain and misery is just constant. We now have an April storm to look forward to. There is also absolutely no end in sight to the poor weather.

Yeah I'm trying to find a reasonable metric of showing it. As you say, the 2019-2021 wet era at least had a very significant dry period of relief (spring 2020), which eventually turned into a hosepipe ban by the second week of June showing that period may have had more intense rain which could have skewed the overall stat.

10-day averages show the spring 2020 period amongst an overall wet era and especially a contrast to February 2020 which is one of our wettest months ever recorded. The May/June 2023 dry spell may have been more "flash" with the most amount of national 10-day averages at 0mm in the past 5 years but it was also much shorter. We have had drier periods like September heatwave, late November/early December and January cold spell. However, these were quite brief and in the case of the latter two, winter evaporative rates are very low making it much more difficult for the ground to dry out. The November/December period was also just relatively drier, it wasn't all that dry - especially here in the east where it was often chilly and damp.

Minister Patrick O'Donovan on Radio1 just said "it's been raining every day since last July", also said to any climate change sceptics to "just look out the window" to see the long term patterns

So there, every day it has rained

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭yagan

I got my annual blood test back, all good thankfully except for the first time ever my vitamin D was low, and I worked most of last year outdoors.

There must be large regional variations in the weather.

Its been sunny most of the weekend in Dublin. People out in the cafes with sun glasses on etc.

Wet today alright but clearing up later and sunny and dry tomorrow.

This raining every day thing is complete rubbish. At least in the Dublin area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's a figure of speech…. and it absolutely has been raining a lot more than normal, this is a fact.

Dublin had had 130% of normal rainfall over the past 9 months, so certainly not immune to the crap weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HouseEater

Feels like this should be the forecast lately:

Not immune no, but it still rains less often than it is dry by a mile. Even if rainfall is up. One month in summer last year i dont think it rained once for the whole month.

Grass was yellow for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ive given up hope of everything having a dry day again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement