Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAINFALL - May 2023 To March 2024 - how wet ?

Options
  • 13-03-2024 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

i wasnt sure to start a new thread or not.....but i couldnt find the info.

this current weather, miserable and drab, dull, its been for months now, since before last summer ? Been a constant topic with ppl in work...

how wet has it been, anyone know the stats, amount of wet days / rainfall in a 10 month or so period ?

i know we had record falls throughout mid / late last year, but it just seems never ending. the fact it started well before winter doesnt help. Storms etc come/go in winter but the rain is never ending. its like middle earth from lord of the rings.

forecasts are constantly wrong, dry periods are forecast and you get out of bed, an its sh1tty and wet out with rain ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

It's definitely been a very wet year, alot wetter than recent years, however 2008, 2009 and 2012 were notoriously wet years, I'd say maybe wetter than the last year, 2008 was a horrendous bad summer

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I fish a lot, water levels have been high all year up and down the country. Would like to see the stats aswell but also wind direction. It feels like we get more East and North in recent years. It has affected fly populations, notable Mayfly hatching in parts of the lake they never hatched in before. Blown into areas they would not normally be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It would be very interesting to see a breakdown of weekdays, weekends and bank holidays. Anecdotally a lot of weekdays have had one or two acceptable days, but weekends since last June have pretty much been universally awful. Its soul destroying for workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Last Summer nearly all weekends were washout the weekdays were actually OK. There was a period of 6 or 7 weeks where we would get 5 to 10mm in the 5 day working week then 30 to 50mm on the weekend. So seemed a much worse Summer than it may otherwise have been.

My own rain gauge was bought last May. It currently has 1509mm on it since then. That's over a years rain for Sligo in 10 months. I suspect some other areas are worse.

Weatherwise if someone asked me I'd say we had a very good 2 week spell early June and a couple of good days in September. A few pleasant days here and there besides. Extremely mild nights bar a quick frosty spell in January. Nights 2 to 3c above normal and days 0.5c to 1c above normal bar June and September which had days of 2 to 3c above LTA.

The rain usually dies out eventually. I'd expect a prolonged dry spell in the next few months.....surely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The past 18 month period has seen the wettest conditions in England since records began in 1871. Not sure how those stats line up with Ireland but they can't be far off. Certainly here in Meath I have never seen or remember so much consistent and heavy rainfall over the past 18 months and you don't need to look at weather charts to realize this. I have never seen the fields, ditches, gardens in such a bad state since I've been born, fields here are still saturated, the ditches are still waterlogged. Meath county council spent all of last week trying to improve the drainage between the fields and the local road as our road has had constant flooding and waterlogging since Christmas, hopefully that work will pay off.

A friend of mine recently flew into Dublin airport and he said the appraoch to Dublin airport is full of waterlogged fields, he has flown into Dublin many times over the past 30 years and has never seen the landscape look this waterlogged so rainfall, here in the east at least, has been excessive compared to normal over the past year and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And even more impressively so than the England record outlined above by Gonzo... the even further back England & Wales precipitation series since 1766 has had its wettest 18-month period on record from September 2022 to February 2024.

Sep 2022-Feb 2024: 1907.8mm

Aug 2019-Jan 2021: 1862.3mm

Aug 1999-Jan 2001: 1854.5mm

Sep 2000-Feb 2002: 1816.9mm

Aug 1876-Jan 1878: 1814.2mm

Unfortunately our Met don't make long-term series like this as easy to view in the public domain and require a bit of manual calculation - I've heard in the background they are working on improving the historical database which I hope is true as it's in need of huge work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ever since that month of sunny weather in June last year broke with the thunderstorms, it has been near constant rain since then

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I absolutely agree with you regards our own county of meath. I've never seen land so wet or flooded. The rain coming from west to east seems to pep up in intensity before exiting to the Irish Sea, and then when we get the easterly it drives prolonged rain over us. We only got two days of harsh dry easterlies last week before the rain joined in. A good April used to signal a good summer from my recollection so hopefully something good is on it's way, because this is just misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well April 2007 was the warmest April on record at that point, very summer like month with plenty of sun and warmth. Was followed by the washout summer of 07. April 2011 was then the new warmest April on record then followed by a pretty poor summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Well, i am not imagining it judging by posts above.

its literally has been a washout for months on end.

i travel by motorbike daily to work, and i constantly seem to be in raingear, the raingear works, but its just abysmal every day to be looking at grey dark skies and driving in sh1tty conditions, morning til night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eight wettest months since records began

Abbeyknockmoy weather recorder, Brendan Geraghty, collected 5.85 inches (nearly 150mms.) of rainfall in his gauge in February with heavy falls on the 5th (0.75 inches), 7th, 8th, 13th, 14th and 28th (0.53 inches).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's basically been raining here almost non stop since Saturday with barely a few minutes break from it, alot of the time it's drizzle and misty rain during the day but some incredibly heavy downpours at night. I've had to wear rain gear every day since Saturday and usually I'd only wear this rain gear a few times per year as walks are usually possible between the rain and showers but not over the past week, it's relentless at this stage and no end in sight for rain on the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

The east has still been 'dryer' than the west. There's been no change to that.

Around 80% of the country's rain comes from the west/south west and it almost always decreases in intensity as it crosses the country.

So however wet you think it's been in the east it's been even worse in most places further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Dunsany (your nearest station) has actually been the least wet station in the country since the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

And yet......5 fine days in Summer = hose ban.

We should be able to export water if we harvested what we get, such a waste of a natural resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Passed a field today on the outskirts of tralee under water. Seagulls are loving it 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'm not denying the West is wetter than the east. I'm just saying what my own county is like. It's just my opinion, but the last few months, in the north east region, the rain has appeared to intensify as it crosses the country. County louth and Down would verify this and even the last 12hrs on the rainfall radar. It's just my observation when tracking the radar in recent months compared to what used to happen.

The real issue has been the months and months of excessive rainfall totals in 2023 particularly the autumn and second half of December. January to present day isn't as overly excessively wet as previous months but the land just can't take much more and it doesn't take much rain for flooding to happen and fields to be waterlogged. It absolutely poured last night all night so Dunsany's rainfall total should tick up a fair bit in tomorrows reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

A quick look at the data on Met Eireann's site shows that Valentia (the wettest synoptic station we have) had 1944mm of rain in 2023. 1678mm in 2022 and 1548mm in 2021. It shows a long term average (no idea what the scope of that is) of 1557mm. So for that station 2023 was 25% wetter than the long term average; but that's only part of the story because that 25% was back loaded to the second half of the year. Basically June to December with the exception of November were all well above the long term average rainfall figures, and October and December were incredibly wet at nearly 50% above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

20 odd posts and nobody can answer the OP.

Its a poor look for our national weather service that they cannot make data like this readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Also rainfall totals don't give a complete picture at all, days with rain would probably be equally as useful in determining how unpleasant the past while has been. A day of drizzle is a rotten day even though it might end with the same rainfall as a sunny day with one or two showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Haha I counted 8 terrible weekends in a row.

Theme continues this week.

Friday looks like a lovely day actually - it'll be sunny in Cork.

Saturday bollocks

Sunday likely drizzly

Monday acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

And for all the rain there hasn’t been any widespread severe flooding like 2009/2015? If I remembered the years correctly. Locally there was severe flooding in parts of Cork and Donegal but nothing large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The amount of days it rained all day (from dawn to dusk) that really surprised me . I just don't remember it been this frequent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another filthy morning in Cork, class

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A historical context of Valentia which as you say is our wettest synoptic station.

I'm going to start at March 2023 for 12-month periods as that's when the current period really started, not May as per the thread title, without a significant break and March 2023 was extremely wet.

I am using the Met.ie data which uses 00-00 and only goes back to October 1939 when we know Valentia has records going back to 1891.

Wettest calendar year (Jan-Dec): 2009 2174.9mm

Wettest 12-month period: Jan-Dec 2009 2174.9mm

13-month period: Jan 2009-Jan 2010 2336.4mm

14-month period: Sep 2022-Oct 2023: 2503.6mm

15-month period: Oct 2022-Dec 2023: 2725.1mm

16-month period: Sep 2022-Dec 2023: 2900.9mm

17-month period: Oct 2022-Feb 2024: 3035.2mm

18-month period: Sep 2022-Feb 2024: 3211.0mm

What a shocking turn of events, September 2022 to February 2024 is also the wettest 18-month period on record for Valentia - at least since the available records on the Met site started in 1939. Bet nobody was expecting that. Sarcasm aside, this is not surprising one bit.

You know what also happened in September 2022? A record warm North Atlantic sea surface temperature. Then we also had a North Atlantic marine heatwave through the summer of 2023 with unprecedented warm conditions continuing to the day (all relatively speaking!). All linked to the current historic wet period in my opinion. With warm air (or in this case, warmer sea temperatures) being able to hold more moisture and the prevailing wind being westerly off such a warm ocean relatively speaking, it makes sense. I even mentioned this as a warning sign going into the autumn and winter of 2023-24 and it has verified. I've seen El Niño being mentioned as the reason for the very wet latter but the previous year autumn 2022 which was extremely wet (in fact the wettest on record for Valentia) was during La Niña. Also, North Atlantic sea temperatures are normally cooler during El Niños for similar reasons why North Atlantic hurricane seasons are usually less active with increased wind shear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Just to follow on from Sryan's excellent post here, the North Atlantic marine heatwave continues to build on last year's increase. 2024 is trending about 0.4°C warmer than last year at the same time, and about 1°C warmer than the 1982-2011 mean (this is according to estimates from NOAA OISST v2.1).

The NOAA last week also published their predictions for the end of El Niño: A transition from El Niño to ENSO-neutral is likely by April-June 2024 (83% chance), with the odds of La Niña developing by June-August 2024 (62% chance). For us, we have had periods in the past where La Niña has driven blocking in the Atlantic allowing highs to move northwards but that's about the extent of my knowledge on it, but if that doesn't take hold until late summer I wonder are we going to remain in a wetter than average period for another few months to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Was covered on Countrywide earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is this now going to be the wettest March on record after 2023 was the wettest March on record??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I feel sorry for the kids more so

Rained in all Christmas, now looking like the same deal for Easter.

I coach underage football and rugby and the amount of matches called off is unbelievable. 4 games into a 20 game football season coming into April. The rugby is a bit better but the kids are frozen solid after 70 minutes playing up to the ankles in cold mud

It will come to a stage where every sports club in the country is going to have to have an artificial surface to keep matches going, which is bad for the players, bad for the environment and very expensive.

I remember as a kid hearing all this talk about Global Warming but the timelines were always way off in the distance. Fair to say we are living in the midst of it all now.

Advertisement