Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

I'd actually like to see England give us a really hard time so long as we win in the end. The players and coaches don't learn enough coasting past underperforming teams without having to be near to our best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd like us to smash them. They've been irritating and hard to beat enough the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

BBC weather forecast and met office forecast show a 40% to 80% chance of rain between 5 and 6 pm in Twickenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Hopefully you’re wrong but the level of cockiness in some places is off the charts. Confidence is one thing but thinking we’re gonna walk it before a ball is kicked is crazy, it’s going to be a tough, tight match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Ireland by 40+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Very torn. I expected France to beat us, but Ireland did a great job of controlling the game. Since then the performance seems to have dropped and they are not winning as well as i expected. If HK is ready to go, I think we will be okay, anyone else, will be a hard slog if England kick as much as expected.

Roll on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The quality in this Six Nations is dreadful, it's a real cause for concern. Ireland are in 2nd gear and only playing "ok" but it's enough to blow away the opposition.

I never remember a time when all of France, England and Wales were playing this poorly. Scotland will be kicking themselves because this year was a rare opportunity for them to have a chance at winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think its a 70/30 in our favour,they get a nudge in the scrum and disrupt our lineout and we are in a game.Will be nervous but get ahead on scoreboard and i think we will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd (obviously) like to see us get back to making fast starts to games. Feel we've struggled to score quickly this season and during the WC, as we did last year. It was seen as a achievement when the opposition didn't allow us to score inside of the opening 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Waboso v Lowe will be an intriguing match up.

Waboso - Can he defend? Can he field the high ball?

Garryowen time!

Ireland targeted Penaud in Marseille.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is a very good post and is where I'm at wrt tomorrows match. England are definitely targeting the lineout and the tight collisions. An extra lock playing at blindside to disrupt the lineout and Underhill to slow down the ball.

It's very complimentary in a way as England are clearly setting up to stop Ireland from playing their game.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I was watching a discussion on Rugby pass between the South African guys and Shalk Burger makes some interesting points about the Irish attack and why he thinks that England will struggle. From about 1:30 to 3:00 in the below clip

Making the point that SA struggled to gain parity with Ireland and England are miles behind in their development of the rush defence..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Shehal

Exactly this, I remember the Ireland v SA game at the RWC and I dont remember their linespeed causing us that many problems, it was other area's of the game that SA hurt us.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be honest , in that game it was our own lineout that hurt us the most..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

That could well be an issue again. Our lineout has been better, but not perfect, and I don't think anyone has tested it the way england will.

I have a small concern about our kicking game in the face of England's rush defence. We've had a few chips and grubbers blocked down in recent games and that fast up England defence could convert a block to points if they're organised enough in transition.

It's at a lower level, but Leinster's defence did exactly that last week against Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

A quick start will be ideal. Otherwise it's an arm wrestle for 50 odd minutes. I think the England midfield is suspect. Aki can really cause them problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭letsbefair

What's the odds on a wound up England getting another red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

'We believe we're going to win... This is England. This is home' as per George https://the42.ie/6321378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just occurred to me that this could very well be the last time O’Mahony runs onto the pitch at Twickenham.

Weather appears to be dry for the match.

Expecting Ireland to go well at set-piece today and win 12v29

And win The Championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Has anyone won the title with a round to go in the 6 nations? Tempting fate I know!

Ireland last did it in 2018.

England in 2016 & 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoy everyone over at it

I'd avoid 'The Timberyard' something odd about it. 'The George' and 'Cabbage Patch' great pubs

Said it in the main thread that I'm worried about England's defence. They're up so fast that there's a good chance they'll completely frustrate our attack.

Our phase play attack hasn't been as accurate as in years past. Feel like our linking and pull back passes have been read too easily. If we withstand the English physical onslaught which is sure to come I think we'll win. But we'll need more than parity against them yo be sure of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

I think their rush is exactly where we'll hurt them. They've been making bad reads, they haven't really got the rush defence right yet. Reckon we'll get a try or two off it today.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. The South African defence was far better drilled and we scored tries against them at the WC and the Autumn internationals. We have the pack and a good set of backs. I just worry about our lack of accuracy at times.

With that Italy win it means any Ireland win will win us the championship today!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nightmare. Nash is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Advertisement