Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your strength and fitness programming in 2024

Options
  • 07-03-2024 1:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It feels like only last month I set up a thread about what programs people intended to follow in 2023... And here we are, in 2024... I'm a few months late, but this thread is to discuss what people are currently doing, or thinking about, in terms of programming.

I'll start...

Currently on week 11 of a 12 week programme called Diesel Mass, which was written by James Smith. It used a number of 3 week blocks, with different focuses (Isometric strength, eccentric strength, concentric strength etc). Fundamentally, it was upper/lower/upper/lower and had an explosive athletic movement to start, a main lift, and then accessories in circuit fashion.

Overall was so-so, nothing to write home about. My jumps did get better, everything else maybe a tiny improvement but nothing crazy.

Next program on the horizon is a new version of Westside for Skinny Bastards from Joe DeFranco. He is calling it WS4SB 3.5, and has said it will be old WS4SB programming with some tweaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Working out how best to combine erg (rowing) and strength work...while working on the quad imbalance that a few years of hip troubles left me with.

Work travel limits opportunities to train, to a point, so 3 days a week and a sort of PPL structure but even when there is a focus on 1, I'll still do a few sets of each of the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

I also was using the w4sb template from nov2023 - although for the main lifts I was using the progression from defranco's build like a bad ass. which gave me 10 weeks cycle . this was 3 days a week and I also did 2 days k-1.

Ive now changed it as follows for this cycle in feb 2024.

• Upper max
    • Lower max - squat and deadlift only
    • repetition - full body working similar to upper repetition from W4SB but with quads/ham in there too.

Still using the sets/reps from build like a bad ass.

so its not really defrancos anymore . Its working in that I feel good and stronger and i'm enjoying it

The 1rm progressions are slow but at a rep level I feel a lot stronger. I'm not powerlifting so I'm good.

I'm not sure what my goals are if i have any other than showing up . I'm mid 40s so I'm not going for any world championships .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Upping my training frequency for 2024. But it’s still a bit of a mix. Aiming for 7 sessions a week. Hitting 5-7. Only 2 are strength.

Still trying to optimise strength by targeting minimum effect dose volume. But it’s certainly not optimal for strength progress.

Had knee surgery a few years ago, then a knee injury last year. So have been doing squat/deadlift assistance only for a long time. Single leg stuff, front squats, machines. Have returned to barbell now. My max is crap. But depth was shockingly easy with shoes back on.

I half want to keep going, rebuild my base and maybe run juggarnaut.

but another little voice says screw it run smolov or Coan phillipi

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

I'm running Jeff Nippard's 5 day Bodybuilding program, just finished week 6 of 10. It's an U/L/U/L/Arms+Weak point split.

I had to redo a couple of weeks already do to travel, visiting family and illness.

I'm also off in holidays for a week in a couple of weeks so will have to redo week 7 or 8 of the split. All in all probably going to take me 14 weeks to finish the 10 week program.

Will probably repeat the program with more emphasis on volume than weight as each exercise is a total of 3 sets. Will also do a proper cardio routine once I return from holiday.

I'm also doing an alternating 4 week fat loss/maintenance period. Down 5kg so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is his most recent pure bodybuilding programme?

I bought that, as I thought it was good value if you bought it in pre-sale, and got all the splits.

Haven't run it, however. I just can't commit to such a high frequency split. Even 4 days is pushing it for me at the moment.

• Advertisement

As you're probably aware, there's a few different WS4SB variants.

One I always liked is WS4SB 3, which has an option for what he calls the "washed up meathead" template.

I ran it a few times as ME upper, ME lower, Repetition upper, and then for the optional fourth day, which he suggested as a vanity day, I would do full body and include extra quads and hamstring work. I only mention it as it actually sounds similar to your approach except you've put those in what was the repetition upper body day.

WS3 was the most manageable. WS1 was similarly, basically the template for 3. WS2 was chaotic. Probably good for HS footballers, but not for gen pop.

I recently had a look at the original WS4SB article.

https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1/

I found it interesting that one of the 17 year olds who improvements he referenced was Brian Cushing. Then in high school. Post article he was drafted by Texans, played pro, went on to be the S&C coach for the Texans.

Another was Jim Dray, went on to play in NFL, is not a coach for the bears.

Its a good program, but when your dealing with 17 years olds with that sort of potential, weighted knitted needles would get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

yeah sorry i started on w4sb 3 and evolved a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Yeah that's the one! I am lucky that I have spare time everyday and my gym is within a 10 minute walk of where I live.

I suppose since it's 5 days a week is why the sets remain constant at 3 per exercise.

I got an email from Jeff Nippard to say that he is doing a pre-sale on his Pure Bodybuilding Phase 2. Not particularly fond of the thought of buying what will most likely be a similar programme with just some exercise variations. However, I know myself that I am more likely to adhere to a program that I spent money on, so may be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nates

I am still hooked with Conjugate style training. ATM iam doing from the Westside Conjugate Club the "tactical" program.

Iam looking forward how the new WS4SB program look like.

A friend of mine is a hugh fan of the Power Athlete porgrams. In Winter he used their Hypertrophie program and in summer their

atheltic program. Iam unsure if i will give it a try in the near future.

• Advertisement

Well, I did the first day of WS4SB 3.5 on Saturday, but I can see the first week's programming, so I'll briefly outline the similarities/differences between this and WS4SB 3.

• There is one exercise prescription, it's not a template like WS4SB 3 where you'd select your exercises. It's assumed you can and will sub exercises if you need to, but they prescribe just one exercise in the programming. So, for example, the max effort upper body compound lift is a floor press. This is likely because the previous 12 weeks have been barbell flat benching. Probably giving the shoulders a break.
    • It's still laid out ME upper, DE lower, Repetition upper, ME lower
    • Reverse workout ordering is used, which is very common in DeFranco's programming now. Again, theoretically with the goal of being more joint friendly. To take the example of the ME upper day, DeFranco programmes an active mobility warm up (Rotator cuff, chest, shoulders tricep focus) and then he has a row and rear delt superset before the max effort floor presses. So you've got a big back pump before you approach the heavy pressing. The heavy pressing is up to 6RM for the day.
    • There's otherwise a lot of the same accessories as earlier WS4SB... You have your two sets of max effort DB bench, 15-20 rep range, after the floor pressing, there's shrugs, curls etc.
    • The dynamic lower day looks like it used to, as does the repetition day, for the most part, although again you've got back and rear delts before the high volume pressing on repetition day.
    • ME lower day is also reverse ordered, and you'll do unilateral work and posterior chain work before doing your deadlifts as main ME lower movement.
    • What's totally "new", aside from the reverse ordering, is that there's dynamic jumping work on ME lower day after the warm-up, as well as on the DE lower day. On DE lower day there's also some Achilles/foot strengthening small agility jump work before the main dynamic box jumps.

All in all, it's very like earlier WS4SB but the main change is the reverse ordering.

That may or may not feel better on your joints. It does affect the quality of your ME work, but again here DeFranco says if you persist with it and your work capacity improves it's no bad thing.

He has probably also decided that DE lower remains important even for non athletes and older folks. In the past he ditched that for the "washed up meathead" template, if you weren't an athlete anymore, but now he says that we lose power generation so quickly as we age, that he thinks everyone should be doing some power training in their programming, in the warm-ups if not on a dedicated day.

Not sure one way or the other, but all I'll say is my jumping has come on leaps and bounds the past year, excuse the pun. When I started it again, I realised "wow, I really haven't jumped higher than waist height in about ten years". It did make me have to re-learn that ability to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I have been doing GMB Elements as back was beat up, rotator cuff injury etc, combined with Russian Fighter Pull Up programme.

Was feeling great, and went back to the barbells and a few kettlebell swings again, and back playing up again.

In more positive news Pull Ups up to 13 (not full extension from the video 😔)

Going to do another round of RFPU and GMB Integral Strength. It's not going to give me massive gains, but I think it will help my body with the basics.

Is it upper or lower back that’s playing up?

Playing up quickly after returning to barbell/kettkebells kinda pinpoints the issue.

Lower, it's a long term thing, have had surgery on it, a weakness somewhere there

Tried physio, but seems to solve it

Barbellds/Dumbells should strengthen and fix the weakness. But if they are aggravating your lower back, that suggests your form could be the issue.

Have you tried recording your lifts?

I agree and you are right on the form as my flexibility especially hinge, trunk is very poor.

It's always the same place it gets hurt though. Going to give the body weight stuff a while with some increased mobility work and revisit later in the year.

I agree with Mellor's post in general, but - kind of playing devil's advocate here - there are times when even with perfect form, something might aggravate you if the damage is already done.

For better or worse, if you have a low back or SI joint issue, it might be that something like pulling off the ground, conventional deadlift, is going to feel worse than a modification like pulling it off blocks, or doing a rack pull, trap bar deadlift with handles up, or maybe even pulling sumo. The combination of pulling from a higher position, and potentially a more upright back position certainly feels better on my SI joint.

I rotate conventional pulls off the ground in and out of my training these days. I just did 12 weeks of them, but now I can feel it's time for a break. I don't think, even with perfect form, it's something I need to keep in my training year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Agree with this and also the weight. Something I've had to accept with my own back injury is that just because I can lift it, doesn't necessarily mean I should. I've had periods of needing to stay at the same weight for 2-3 weeks to not trigger symptoms.

Certainly if someone finds some exercises are easier to load than others, then they should stick with them.

I have also been doing blocks of things like paused deadlifts and eccentric focus deadlifts. They both need very good form to do safely/well, but they do also allow you to use less weight on the bar, and I find that more forgiving.

I think the evidence is relatively clear that if you were healthy, you'd be better off not using training intensifiers like this, straight sets would be better overall. But basically I could do several weeks deadlifting this way, and progressively overload, and the weight on the bar will be modest and I feel less beaten up. If I just did straight reps and pushed the weight for the duration, then as you say, it feels like there comes a certain number where I will have symptoms flare up in following days.

That's fair. But I'd add the caveat that if you have an existing injury/issue, than is aggravated by the ROM of even "perfect" form, then that form is not perfect for you. Form should be reviewed within the limits of your personal mobility. That needs to happen.

If the issue is muscular, then then contracting the target muscles could even be an issue - but in that case working the same muscle in isolation, on a machine etc is also an issue. I'd say that is rarely confused with "X exercise hurts my Wazoo".

Either of the above scenario could be an issue, but that said, I'd guess that 90% of the time the issue is simply the person being pulled into a bad position.

If hinging is always hurting you, I'd start to suspect hat you hinge pattern is the issue. Most likely rounding you lower back and arching the weight as weel as hinging.

If you are targeting hamstrings (RDL, good mornings etc). Shorten the range so that your back stays completely flat. Pushing past that range is hurting you.

If you are targeting hips, bend you knees more. Release hamstring tension on the pelvis. Don't let tight hammies limit your hip hinge (when targeting hips)

• Advertisement

Thanks totally agree with all that. I have rack pulled/box squatted for years due to issues. My whole posterior chain has taken a pounding over the years with ACL, Achilles Tendon, Slipped Disc, multiple hamstring injuries. It's probably about just knowing my limits 😂 and with age I'm getting more and more comfortable with that.

Thanks for the comments, always like this thread, it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Thanks to Brian? I have started this. I added my own twist by doing one week on followed by two weeks off.
    2 full body days a week. All exercises 2 warm up sets and then 3x10 with a weight you struggle to do 10 with. When you can do 3x10 comfortably add weight next time. 

Day 1: Squat, bench, pull ups, curls and tricep push downs. 

Day 2: deadlift, rows, military press, curls and tricep push downs.

I also try to do limber 11 minus the foam rolling bits everyday. This workout was very popular about 12 years ago when boards fitness was a hive of activity. Does this workout stand the test of time? Would anyone suggest a there is a better flexibility workout?

I still follow DeFranco's stuff, and basically the Limber 11 is still fine, but I think he'd say that there's a point where might want to consider individualising it, and varying it up a bit, if you've been repeating the same movements for a very long time. He has some current material on his IG that you could look at.

I'm not the biggest mobility guy in the world, but I do find it beneficial to do rear delt stuff in my warm-ups, and shoulder mobility stuff like wall slides or light behind the neck presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nates

@Black Sheep so whats block 2 be like?

Sometimes they mention their "big programs" like WS4SB 3.4, Goliath, Legend123 etc. but whats between this? Is the program than more or less Deload, or gap weeks? → Cant remember :(

I also like Limber 11 as warmup. I add 5-7 TGUs per side and 3*5 Pylopushups or Boxjumps.

Since i added Romwod in the Evening as (nearly) Daily evening Routine my mobility is getting better and better.

Its about 15-20 minutes and beside getting better mobility its nice for "calm down from the day"

Block 2 for WS4SB 3.5 is the same layout as Block 1, but the exercise selection changed.

So the max effort movement has gone from floor press to bench press, and for the accessory work everything is still laid out the same in terms of body part, but the exercise changed. Different single leg variations, different curl variations and so on.

With a bit of time to digest the way this has panned out, my thoughts:-

PROS

The reverse ordering is probably not a bad idea for anyone whose shoulders gives them issues when benching. I like it less on the lower body days, I'd rather pull deadlifts first rather than after several sets of unilateral exercises that I've tried to push weight selection on.

CONS

I feel like DeFranco - in all of the recent programs - has probably strayed too far into the realm of choosing highly unstable movements and corrective exercises at the expense of remembering that a program must also contain stable, easy to progressively overload, "meat and potato" movements.

I'm conscious this is a slightly unfair criticism because a lot of people end up doing DeFranco programming because they have jacked up shoulders, or whatever, and he's very good at bringing people back to normal function.

With regard to what's between the 12 week programs… Nothing, really. There have been maybe 2 occasions where there was a "transition program" but where there's been something like that, it's rarely a deload, in fact they're usually higher volume.

The 12 week programs taper to a testing week of some kind, but generally they're pretty auto regulated in terms of what you're doing. You'll execute a "heaviest set for the day" any given workout, on a main lift, but that's not the same as having a target you must hit.

Some of the 12 week programs are more taxing than others, there are some that were very very corrective-heavy, a lot of unstable movements where not much big weight would be moved.

Advertisement