Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020s the Reign of Narcissism ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

(un)social media, decades of people getting well fcuked in regards their most critical of needs, housing, health care, rapidly rising precariousness of life in general etc etc, yea, id say its no wonder where we are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well done for tagging that on to a discussion on narcissim.

Social media has made people less social and more turned in on themselves.

It dosent occur to some that having to listen and take part in banal chit chat, saying hello, shaking hands offering tea and coffee is a social good and is part of being less narcissist.

There was an article recently in the Irish Times about young people and fear of talking on the phone.

Post edited by mariaalice on

ive autism myself, and a lot of these behaviors are akin to the disorder, and its really not healthy for us, we are social beings, whether we like it or not, physical connection is absolutely critical for our well being, im not completely anti unsocial media, cause here i am on it, but too much, is simply that, but its clearly been designed towards our more addictive traits and nature, and thats not necessarily a good thing....

...im hearing more and more problems about the serious inability of younger generations to engage in traditional social interactions, which is causing some significant issues including in the work place, this is a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ok boomer

no idea if thats pointed towards me, but im far from it, my generation is also knee deep in social media, and i frankly find it very very weird, boards is the only social media i do, ive enough addictions and a brain that just constantly tries to distract me....

• Advertisement

Was talking to the OP. Her generation are the ones with holiday homes and opposing new developments as it'll bring their house value down. That generation did a lot of ladder pulling upping and left younger folks in a mess. Not to mention totally destroying our environment and ignoring the threat of climate change.

...completely agree, and in line with the thread, theres a lot of narcissism in such.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the very same morally superior people who boasted about how many vaccinations they had are out in force today .. ‘I voted Yes & Yes’

Insufferable bores!

the very same WEF conspiracy theory anti-vaccine racist absolute nut jobs are out in force today with No/No to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Just watched the First thirty minutes of a Netflix docu-series entitled "Arnold". It is indeed about "Arnold" and not much else beside him. I found myself a good reason to go walk the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Please explain, how does 'ladder pulling upping' work and how did boomers leave us in a mess?

I honestly dont know anyone, of any generation, who would purposely destroy the environment, and most people are trying to do their own small bit to help, ie less car travel, more sustainable household habits, recycling, less printing, to name a few.

Some people are better at it allright, but tbf to older generations, they typically didn't have two car households or take several flights a year, or use tumble dryers, or buy fast fashion, or have groceries, food and products delivered, or constant tech upgrades, or even central heating and as for disposable everything - where to even start with that!

I'm sure there are numerous other conveniences we take for granted now that contribute to cc and thats not on boomers or older generations because they just didn't have excess stuff, that's on us. It's always easier to blame someone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I miss the nineties

Advertisement