Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on East Wall

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭havana

@Gary_dunne I have never felt any more unsafe in Rialto that anywhere else but I do understand why some do. It has its fair share of antisocial behaviour and I had to call the gardai many times but it was never enough to cause me to regret buying a property or living there for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Cant be stressed enough how the single most important place in picking a general area to settle down in and live is how you would feel raising your kids in that area, whether you have them now or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Having also lived near Sheriff street i can say the idea that East Wall is "quiet" is BS. Are you excluding the numerous times times multiple garda cars and helicopters have chased drug gangs through the area? Are you excluding the fireworks happening on regular basis, often fired horizontally at cars? Are you excluding the gangs of feral youths on bikes engaged in all sorts of criminality? Yeah other than that, a quiet upstanding community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭COH

Since living here I have not seen nor heard of any garda chases through or in East Wall.

I have encountered no roaming gangs of feral/criminal youths. I have met some young people on Church Road - they petted my dog. Terrifying stuff.

There were lots of fireworks on Halloween. They were targetting the sky from what I could see.

I'm not on Sheriff St - I know all about Sheriff St, I've lived in the city center most of my adult life I'm not a fool, I am fully aware what goes on in the areas surrounding here - I'm telling you about where I am, literally right now and have been since Nov 2022. If you want to call that BS then thats fair enough I don't know what to tell you man

As an aside - and not at the risk of pointing out the obvious... Sheriff St and East Wall are not the same place despite the geographical proximity. This isn't a thread about Sheriff St.

And even at that, there is a marked difference between the five lamps > luke kelly side of Sherrif St (we can all agree thats not a great place to be) and from the bridge > Dublin port side which is primarily expensive apartments populated mostly be tech/finance workers.

That expanse of redevelopment, combined with the train tracks do form a significant filter from what happens 'up there' and 'down here' for the most part.

Now, I have not once said that East Wall is perfect, that there aren't any mad heads living here or that there arent parts of it that are nicer/safer then others. Nor have I said that nothing has ever happened here or that nothing will again. But the same can be said for many areas.

We all have our own perspectives on life. my wife for example grew up in what would be considered to be an underpriveledged sh*t hole (Jobstown!) but you wouldn't know it to meet her or her siblings because they were raised well. I don't know if we will live in East Wall forever - but we certainly have no fear of raising children down here the same way we were raised ourselves.

Of the three houses on our road here that have sold in the past 24 months two have young children and we have one on the way. The parents all work and are lovely so I guess we aren't the only ones with the same idea , even if we are all blow ins 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You seem to ignore the people who have a much longer experiences of East Wall than you. If your child went to school in the area they would be at school with other children from Sheriff Street. You aren't fully aware of what goes on in East Wall and the surrounding areas after 1.3 years. I doubt you know the names of families to be avoided at all costs, these aren't in the newspapers. They still live there and have been there a long time. It is quite funny that you have been there so little and keep saying others are wrong who know the area decades. You have some things to see yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you're one of these "omg the city is out of control o'connell st is a no go zone!" types though. east wall is in the city centre almost so the garda will have to deal with stuff there sometimes of course.

i live in north strand OP, but a few mins walk from lidl and aldi in east wall. it's a great area. lots of different nationalities, people walking around everywhere all the time so that always gave me a feeling of security in places, not that i'm one to worry about safety anywhere in dublin though.

the only noisy thing at night for me is trains going past. parts of east wall are pretty secluded too and very quiet. you can nip over to clontarf in about 5 minutes on a bike, town is on your doorstep, and fairview park is lovely when the weather's nice.

i absolutely love living in the area and can't recommend it enough.

@Ray Palmer i went to school in fairview with people from east wall and sheriff street who were absolutely sound and am still friends with some of them today, you know nothing of the area it seems.

I know their names - and I know the roads they live on.

As I said in my original post I have friends who have been living here 20+ years, I own a local business not far from here of whom we have many clients who live here now far longer than me, my cousin lives around the corner. I spoke to all of them at length before moving here.

Its the opinions of people who THINK they know the area because they passed by a decade ago or that have never actually lived here (and by here I mean in EW) that I'd disregard, along with the obvious snobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have to laugh when people see a DEIS school as a negative.

Extra resources, more staff, smaller classes, different ways into (alternative requirements for) college courses - all sorts of positives.

All the better surely if your child is not from a 'typical' DEIS household, but can avail of all the options for those who are?

I live in North Strand and have done for coming up on 40 years. Would not hesitate to live in East Wall.

I also taught second level in the area and we got lovely children from the East Wall primaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is an indicator of incomes in the area. It is a great program

I lived in North Strand at the same time as you and loved it but I am not blind. A lot of NS has now been bought by wealthier people and has vastly improved from when I lived there. Before it was rough enough but better than EW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

OP - what are your alternatives? Personally, I would much prefer to live in East Wall than lots of other areas in Dublin but equally there are lots of areas that I would prefer over East Wall. Living in the city centre would appeal to me more than some distant suburb. My big worry would be schools for your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭havana

Dublin 12, preferably Crumlin, or Dublin 8 but I’m finding myself priced out, even for total doer uppers.

My preference would be for an ET secondary school but they are few and far between anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My main worry would be where are your kids and who are they hanging out with when they are 14, 15 or 16.

Im sure the majority of kids will be fine, but it is dangerous for some and best not to put them in that situation.

Consider that when you are looking to buy in any area.

Have a walk around the surrounding areas at night and see how you feel about it. Do it a few times. Ask your wife, daughter or girlfriend if they would be comfortable walking home at night on their own around there.

Advertisement