Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on East Wall

Options
  • 05-03-2024 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I think I will have to expand my search area to find a house within my budget. I have till now been focused on mainly D8 and D12 

Location is what is most important to me and I have always been happy to trade space for the right location. It’s only me and my young child and we don’t need much space. A 2 bed house is perfect. I really do not want to commute and looking at East Wall it could potentially be an option. 

I know little about the area so any thoughts would be appreciated. I have lived in the south inner city for a long time so am no stranger to living in the city - I know it’s not for everyone but I love it. 

Any particular roads to consider? Being within easy access of the 151 or G1/2 buses would be a bonus. What is the area like in terms of cafes and shops etc?

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about D7? Right across the Liffey from D8 and still some deals to be had.

Would be looking there long before East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It one thing to put up with a rough area as an adult but another thing to raise a child there. East Wall is rough and your child would be influenced by their peers in the area. So I would suggest not moving there

I have friends from there and worked there for a while. The one story that should turn you off is when a teenager shot a man who stopped them smoking weed in his house. The teenager knew where there was a gun stashed in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭COH

My wife and I bought our house in East Wall last year and love it.

It was a rough enough area in the 90s/00s but given its proximity to the silicon docks it is gentrification central. Of all the numerous places we have lived over the years its actually one of the quietest areas we've lived in, We spend quite a lot of time here before we bought, on weekends, evenings, Halloween night etc and there has never been any trouble.

I have friends, family and colleagues who live/have lived here for up to 20 years and none have ever experienced any anti social behaviour. Thats not to say it doesn't exist at all but no more so then any other central location in any major city in the world.

The area suffers from its history/reputation of being rough - but most of the criticism of the area is from people who have either never set foot in the place, or haven't been here in decades. The protests last year painted the area in a negative light despite being orchastrated by people that are nor from here. The 'East Wall' protestors as they became known are now doing the same thing in Ranelagh, Ballsbridge, Ballina etc. yet they are still referred to as the EW protests. Lazy journalism I suppose.

There was a flood in the early 2000s (Tolka River) that many will point to and say you can't get house insuranance with flood cover, but the area was declassified as a flood risk last year and policies are readily available.

Pros:

• Proximity to the city center
    • Transport links (bus, luas and rail)
    • Amenities (there is a large Lidl, Aldi and newly opened Dunnes Stores)
    • East Cafe and the 112 are both great places for a coffee/chat
    • Fairview Park and Clontarf Promenade are beautiful and within walking distance
    • Community - it is quite a settled area, especially the West Road side.
    • There are no roaming gangs of youths terrifying the local.
    • Gentrification: They are building more apartments, hotels etc , with that comes further amenities. Marshalls Yard, The Comfort Inn etc are all due for completion over the next 24-36 months
    • Walking distance to the Three Arena and Croke Park for events.

Cons:

• There is a lack of greenery around for sure. DCC cut down the trees on West Road and its surrounds a couple of years ago unfortunately.
    • There is a younger population, and that scares some people.
    • If you are bringing up a familiy like we are you may need to look further afield for schools.
    • Sea level rises - could be an issue down the line, but given the proximity to the most expensive real estate in the country they will invariably have to build sea defences, but that will be a global issue not localised to here.
    • Like anywhere there are some areas that are preferable to others. Probably avoid Island Key in that regard (not that there aren't nice people there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Some parts of it are fine, and some are awful. There's high enough anti social behaviour, and a lot of illegal dumping in the area, which drives me nuts. Almost bought a house there about ten years ago, but it fell through. Glad it did, looking back.

Master of the Universe

Don't want to take away from the area you are living, but there a chance you might have just 'gotten used to it' to a degree.

I lived in D1 on Gardiner Street for 7 years. By the end of it I was telling everyone it was fine, 'Gentrifying' and so on. All I could see was the new buildings going up, how a few bits and pieces had changed since I'd moved in initially and was hugely optimistic.

Bought in Stoneybatter a couple of years ago (which is IMO a genuine gentrifying area) and now anytime I go back to D1 / D3 I can't believe how rough the areas look.

There's so much social housing that I don't think it will ever truly gentrify as you have generational poverty and social issues just dug in and not going anywhere.

Even the newly developed docklands area with loads of people living in fairly pricey accommodation looks rough.

It's unfortunately as infrastructurally there are some great houses/buildings around the area.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that happen 16 years ago?

I know what you are saying 100% - but we haven't been here long enough to be used to anything really (we are here just over 12 months) and knew what we were getting ourselves into having spoken to residents, DCC, the community officer in Store St (who is very sound) and a few other 'characters' who would be well known enough around.

We did our due diligence, and chose to be here having previously lived in places like Ringsend, Donnybrook, Rathmines, Blackrock and Dundrum/Ballinteer.

I have friends and family who live here now who love it (none are from here originally), our house is great, its quiet and our neighbours are lovely. We are on the quieter 'half' of the area as I mentioned above. but we targeted the exact area based on the feedback of others who basically drew us a map and said here is good, here not so much etc. Our commute is under 10 mins into town, we have off street parking and a back garden.

I am not naiive to think that there is nothing bad going on around, or that nothing bad will ever happen in the area again - but that doesn't frighten me at all really and I suppose that is the trade off for the house/life we wanted.

As an aside the Mrs and I were down here 5 years ago and she remarked at the time that she would never live here when I suggested it ... now she's refusing to entertain the thought of ever moving in the future.

I think it was about 12. Still something to note. There was also the stabbing of a bike thief more recently. Last time I was there I still see they dumping of rubbish there by the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Young lad stabbed and killed there a few years back, after his mates attacked a chap who was working in the area.

Edit: I see it's been mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I bought in East Wall around 18 months ago. I'd be in agreement with COH's post. The area is surprisingly quiet, neighbours are lovely, and you end up located well for public transport, as well as being walking distance to plenty of amenities (I love being able to walk home from the 3arena in 10 mins).

I knew it had a bad rep when I was moving here, but I haven't seen a single instance of trouble. Not that I deny there is trouble, but I thought I'd have seen something by now! Possibly it helps that I am more toward the Spencer Dock Luas stop than main East Wall (which I think of as the area around Lidl). I wouldn't have an issue recommending the area.

My only criticism would be that there's no real village feel to the area. I feel like other places I looked at (Rialto, Stoneybatter, Drumcondra) there's a hub of shops/pubs/eats where you could go out.

• Advertisement

There was a fatal stabbing in Dundrum around the same time - are you suggesting that people should be weiry of moving to Dublin 16 🙃

I'm just back from a full loop of EW with the dogs - didn't see any of the illegal dumping you are referring to.

Well I would live in Dundrum before East Wall. The OP is looking for opinions , we differ in views but I have no vested interest like you. It doesn't sound like you are not raising a child in the neighbourhood but you did suggest sending a child to schools outside the area. Why would you do that if everything is fine?

There are plenty of original residents down there with lots of kids who are generational social welfare households. Totally different being an adult there to raising a child. As I said I friends from there and they moved out and never thought about raising their kids there. I worked in the big round glass tower by Church Street and had a great view of the area. Watched the drunks and other addicts on their daily runs. I also lived in North Strand which is much further along the gentrification train, and the train tracks was a big divide.

I believe all the schools are DESI which is an acknowledgment the area is considered to be impoverished and children in the area need additional help. In terms of raising a child that has to be a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

Funny,in the

Funny that in the 25 years that I lived in various parts of Dublin, the two times I was assaulted and the one time I was stabbed by a group of scumbags was in D16 in the dundrum and rathfarnham area.

To expand on my comment re: schools there just aren't many (if any) gaelscoil or non-denominational schools in the area as would be our preference, so we will probably have to look further afield in that regard thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf ray you're talking our your arse. I'd a neighbour shot on his doorstep 20 years ago in an affluent area.

Because like many fool hardy middle class guys he decided making big big money was his priority over running his dad's normal functioning business.

Do people remember it.. no. Do people tell others not to live there because a hit happened ? No.

Wasn't the general gunned down in Ranelagh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Incorrect, it was as @COH said, 16 years ago, not 12.

OP I'd take what Ray Palmer says with a pinch of salt. He has a history of reviewing areas he's never been to or hasn't been to in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭havana

Thanks so much for this. Having lived in both Crumlin and Rialto I have heard all the negative comments but I have never felt unsafe in either area. That’s not to say that there are no issues but there are few areas that can claim to have none.

my plan would be to leave him in school where he is (there is a direct bus route that is no further a commute than most of the areas of crumlin I have been looking). But I do need to consider secondary school options.

i am going to do the evening commute one of the days next week and see what it is like.

Thanks. Yes that’s something I like about Rialto, the village has developed really nicely in recent years. To be honest I’m not too bothered by the reputation - having lived in south inner city for a long time I have heard it all. If I don’t want to rub shoulders with the locals I could go live in a gated community out in the suburbs but that’s just not for me. I love the character and liveliness of Dublin 8 and it’s residents and it’s that that I’m looking for when I ask about an area

someone suggested D7 but from what I have seen I am likely priced out of there for the most part, but I am open to looking at all areas close to the city.

I grew up in Dundrum. If I had the money would I live there now? Probably not! That might surprise some, certainly surprised many of my friends who dream of the 4 bed semi, with room to extend, in the suburbs. That’s never been my dream.

the school issue is an important one, as we are in ET now and that will be a requirement at second level. I’ll have to do some research.

There is an ET in Grace Park which isn't far from East Wall

• Advertisement

Huge difference between a hit and a teenager having access to a gun to shot somebody who stopped letting them smoke weed in their house. If you don't see the difference that is your issue.

I personally wouldn't want my kids going to school or living close to peers who's parent are part of organised crime. Are we going to say Sheriff Street isn't there?

Master of the Universe

Just be cognisant that you've come onto a thread asking for advice about an area and honed in on the one person who lives there speaking about it positively, confirming your bias of thinking it's potentially okay to buy there.

Even if it all comes together and you manage to get a house in a nice little enclave of East Wall with nice neighbours, you still have some of the worst parts of the city around you. Sherriff Street and Ballybough are literally on your doorstep. Try wandering around there when the sun goes down too as part of your investigating the area (just be careful)

I'd to commute up through that area every day to get to my apartment on Gardiner Street for the guts of a decade and it would wear you down. It's not all about feeling unsafe per se, it's just having that all around you constantly. Dealing with junkies walking around screaming at each other, the general lack of care and pride for the community around you. Scrote kids wandering about causing trouble.

I don't know why there's this notion as well that the only options seem to be leafy D4 or in the thick of it beside Sherriff street. Dublin is full of nice spots in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah yes. The person I just said that was shot was not part of organised crime... at all ever... hence they were shot for... nothing.

Point stands you're talking out of it.

People are fleeing rathgar because the general lived and was killed there. Oh he's buried up the road in mount Jerome too. Crazy crime stuff. Makes you think.

Incorrect - there were two of us who spoke positively about living here, it just so happens that we are the only two people who have contributed to the thread that actually live here, lived here, or have seemingly even spent any time in the area recently. I'm not making slight of the commute you used to make - I drive up Sheriff St to Dorset St and past your old abode on Gardiner St every day myself, from my perspective it gets progressively worse the further i get from the house but that's for another thread :D

Anyway look we'll go back and forth on this forever so I'll bow out. I totally understand and acknowledge your points above and I have enjoyed the conversation.

@Ray Palmer ... man 16 years ago. SIXTEEN. What is wrong with you! If you want to avoid having neighbours involved in organised crime you might want to avoid places like Foxrock too 😉

OP if you have any Qs feel free to PM me and I'll happily answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Rented on Church Rd for 2 and a half years back from 2018-2020. Really enjoyed my time there, close proximity to Fairview Park, 3 arena, public transport links through bus and Luas and a short cycle into town. I was in my mid 20's at the time and it was ideal for me.

Would I choose to raise a family there? Personally, I wouldn't. There isn't the village feel that the OP was asking about, couple of cafés and a Centra near East Rd but that's pretty much it from what I remember.

As for the safety aspect, I never felt unsafe as a mid 20's male but my partner said she never liked even walking from the carpark to my apartment during the day. There are some nicer areas but I can understand why some felt unsafe around where I lived, always seems to be groups of young lads hanging around that I know some people find intimidating.

I'd happily live there again myself if I wasn't planning on having a family but it would be down the list if I was planning on buying near the city.

Are there still armed police on Sheriff Street? How many years were they there and how long ago?

Areas don't change that quickly so 16 years is valid.

You like the area and I own a property relatively close so down there very regularly. The addicts are still there.

One of they guys I worked with was nearly hit by a car in East Wall and he flipped them off. Gardai pulled him over to warn him it not a good idea as you don't know who was driving and there are so many dangerous people there. It was 14 years ago and these people still live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The best people to ask are the deliveroo cyclists. Ask them where they like to avoid when making deliveries. They have up to the minute information on rough, tough and unsafe areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Live in EW after living across various places in D8 for over a decade. I would say it is much quieter here than almost everywhere in D8 apart from maybe Islandbridge. It's definitely far less scaldy than Rialto when I lived there but I've heard Rialto is coming up in the world so maybe it's different now.

Master of the Universe

As long as it's getting worse the further you move away from your house you're doing alright 😁

When I was looking for a new place a couple of years ago there was a gorgeous ground floor Georgian apartment with its own front door going on Mountjoy Square for a reasonable price (I think it ended up selling for north of 400k in the end) that I was incredibly interested in and was nearly going to stay in the area if I could nab it, but was told on no uncertain terms by the wife that she was leaving D1 with our without me. 😁

• Advertisement

@o1s1n I won’t comment on your use of scrotes or junkie and instead thank you for your time in replying to my thread.

I didn’t hone in on one person and replied to as many as I could. My son will most likely grow up in an inner city area or somewhere close by. For a couple of reason - but mainly because that is where I want us to live. I am not naive and am well aware of the negatives of living in an inner city area but I have happily done so for almost 30 years.

@COH thank you for your offer - I might just take you up on that as I am going to view a house at the weekend. I am concerned about secondary options for my son so that might that rule the area out.

Advertisement