Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda asking for car insurance in shop

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

If the Garda deemed it important enough, he could have waited yes.

Not offended by the AGS doing their job. In fact I would have preferred a FPN to be issued.

The driver was not a potential law breaker…….they were breaking the law by not displaying an insurance disk. And the Garda knew that before he spoke to the driver as there was no disk displayed.

Re the nonsense comment, how sad it is when people are intolerant of others who have a different view.

Have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What is it that you want?

If you drive without insurance, tax, both or think you aren’t insured when you aren’t taxed, you pretty much lose the right to be treated by the authorities at a time of your convenience. Why on earth do you think Gardai should wait until you have finished wandering around a shop? It’s nonsensical, we have now reached peak stupidity when people who break the law complain that the time/place for Gardai to approach didn’t suit me.

I am reading and I see excuses.

The Garda told them to leave the car there which is different from not allowing them to drive away until evidence of insurance is provided. They resolved the matter at the Garda station, not in the car park.

What was to stop them from not returning an hour later to bring the car home ?.

As I have said before, car insurance is very important. The Garda believes it too, hence the questioning, but then allowed wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He was practicing being a detective. It’s called the “Columbo Technique” - you meet your suspect in an innocuous environment like a newsagent shop and then quiz him with questions like “I suppose you have insurance for that car outside do you?”

Takes the suspect rightly by surprise and they cave in and confess everything.

I take non compliance very seriously and have personal experience of the consequences.

If a Garda chooses to question someone in a shop, don’t finish it with “now don’t be driving that car again before you have this sorted out”. If you drive around without an insurance disk, you deserve to be penalised.

This started off well, but was watered down by the final act.

I think peak stupidity is when people can break a law which can have serious consequences, and the only consequence is a telling off from a Garda and promise to not move the car when the squad car leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Sure the TV recruitment add has them buying coffee in a shop!

Apparently there is still some room at the top.

Nothing was stopping them.

But do you seriously think the Gardai make these sorts of demands and wouldn’t follow up? Like do you really believe that if the Garda drove by Lidl and noticed the car was driven off they wouldn’t do anything about that?

Like you’re actually making no sense here yourself. You on one hand think the Gardai approaching them in the shop was unacceptable behaviour but on the other hand you think they were too soft? 🤣

So what they should have hung around waiting then when nothing was produced for evidence of being insured phoned up the tow truck and waited around some more?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm picking up a brand new car on Monday. Procedure for transferring cover is simple, and I've done it many times:-

1/. Call broker from Garage. Ask for permanent substitution w.e.f. now. Take old disc, and policy docs with you and drive direct to Brokers.

2/. Swap docs/disc old for new.

3/. Display and away you go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plus you would also have an email confirming cover was started on xxx date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

True but my point was that the OP had a few options to resolve the issue before they left the shop.

Anyhow, I reckon the OP was a troll so what does it matter...

I go back to my original point, started off by interviewing in a shop and ended with a verbal reprimand.

You think that is ok, but I believe differently and expect more.

We are never going to agree on this.

Have a good day 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The garda had to speak to them to determine if they were committing the greater offence of driving without insurance. Waiting outside for them is just nonsense talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Wow I am so impressed with the garda, it only took two of them (+Pulse😊) to solve the treasonable offence of an uninsured car. They deserve a special merit and immediate promotion. I hope the garda commissioner is aware, that is if they are on, shall we say, on speaking terms😉 It took a lot of courage, audacity, bravery and daring for two unarmed garda to approach a shopper in the middle aisle in Lidl and solve this crime. I worry on the after effect on them, hope they get the best treatment for PTSD etc.

Other police would spend their free time blowing into breathalysers for those phantom week end / late night check points so they could claim their double time + unsocial hours allowance etc. etc. But not our garda members - they are dedicated to solving both petty & serious crime without fear or favour, which explains why we live in a crime free society. No illegal drug issues, no unsolved murders, no drink or drug driving, no Dublin city centre riots, no robberies ...sure we're blessed to live in Paradise🤣🤣🤣

Obviously you are easily impressed, for the rest of us, as Roy Keane says, it’s their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't know the facts but your post confirms the cops were right

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement