Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda asking for car insurance in shop

Options

Comments

when the OP is looking to poke holes in the legitimacy of the garda stopping them in Lidl in the first place it’s my assumption they were driving without insurance tbh.

I couldn’t say I’d be onto boards to find out if this was allowed myself unless I was doing something wrong and I wanted a way out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They were wrong to do what they did and you're wrong in stating it's a mandatory ban as well as a fairly hefty fine.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

They were wrong to do their job? Driving without insurance is a fine up to €5000 and potentially (really never) 6 months in prison so it’s hardly a minor offence.

The OP acting belligerent wouldn’t fill me with confidence they have insurance either not to mention nothing to show the garda otherwise.

When I took out my policy I could download my certificate of insurance and disc, besides that I had an email and my policy number. I could also login online and view my details which included my car details.

If I happened to be stopped with no disc on display because it happens I have no printer I’d just login on my account or show them the email confirming my policy. I guarantee you’d they let me drive home.

Enough people driving around with no insurance the Garda was right to potentially stop another one. As for any suggestion they should wait til the OP was finished they absolutely should not. I think they have better things to do than wait til it’s convenient for someone breaking the law to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would you expect to have to stop what you are doing, log in on your phone and show them your tax and insurance in the middle of McDonalds while trying to order a Big Mac?

Seriously, the absolute jobsworth replies from some people here is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

You're making a lot of assumptions about people you don't know. Personally I don't agree with approaching them in the shop.

If a local business man had his car parked with no insurance disc would he be approached in a shop. If he would then that's fair enough but we all know it would never happen.

I would never condone driving without insurance but I would expect everyone be treated the same.

I also can't stand the 'holier than thou' attitude responses to those kind of threads on here.

I'm not referring to you here just mean in general

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t have to worry about it I display my insurance disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Whats you opinion of those who drive untaxed cars, and think they are also uninsured? Would you have an issue with them being approached regarding it?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'oh look, there's someone speeding'

'better leave them be, they're probably in a hurry and if we stop them we'll make them even later for it'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If they'd waited outside Lidl for 40 minutes and approached the OP then, you'd be giving out even more.

Any Garda would let this go if they got evidence of insurance in a timely fashion, but it's pretty apparent from the OP that this isn't a simple case of not displaying the disc, they were driving uninsured. Every time someone does that, your premium (and mine) goes up.

Look, I don’t need to worry about the Gardai approaching me regarding my car discs. I have on display (at all times) up to date tax, insurance and when relevant NCT. If someone wants to drive around without their discs up to date then don’t be surprised if they receive attention from the Gardai.

Have no sympathy for anyone who doesn’t want to follow the law and pay insurance or tax. If they don’t stop and detain vehicles driving around uninsured the same crowd who are whinging about their approach here would be whinging they’re not doing enough.

It’s pure madness and blatant stupidity to suggest Gardai should stand around at the car till the shopping is done. As if they have nothing better to do. But I suppose this is coming from someone who doesn’t see any problem driving around sans insurance so what can you expect.

edit: don’t think I don’t know what you’re up to btw ;) if youre going to try “ah but you drove without tax”, sure did one day after buying a new car, that fine got cancelled by the way. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A shop is a public place. Do you have an issue with Gardai approaching people in a public place when they are clearly breaking the law?

Some people will find any reason to moan and complain about the Gardai. You do realise you are complaining about the Gardai approaching someone in a public place because they broke the law.

Why wouldn't this imaginary local businessman be approached in a public place?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes I would expect to have to stop what I was doing if a member of the guards witnessed me driving to said location and wanted to verify if I was insured to drive the vehicle as there was no disk on display. It would take a grand total of 1 minute to login and clear up the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

So this car wasn't insured. All private vehicles are on insurance database now, the gardai would have scanned the the registration and it would have showed up as not insured. Also, I don't for one second believe theat they were approached whilst doing their shopping inside the Lidl. That didnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

"The murderer fled the scene and went to the chipper. We had to let them go to eat their spicebag."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Are you totally unaware of how ridiculous this post is?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your attitude has changed somewhat from earlier posts on other threads, that’s why I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What do we want? The Gardaí to do their jobs and enforce the Road Traffic Acts1

Where do we want it? Nowhere public that might inconvenience or embarrass law breakers.

There may not be a policy on the car but that wouldn't necessarily mean the driver isn't insured to drive it using the third party extension on his own policy.

To be covered by the third party extension he can't own the car. I suspect, but don't know for sure that's what happened in this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

My insurance policy states I am covered third party only if the other car has an existing insurance policy on it.

Yes that's in some policys obviously you wouldn't be covered. I've been driving for over 40 years and never had it in a policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can understand you feeling intimidated by such an encounter.

But the Garda was in the wrong here. They are obligated to show discretion with new vehicles and change of ownership circumstances. They most certainly should NOT have prevented you from driving away, if you were certain that your insurance cover was in place and covered those driving.

Personally, I would have driven off anyway and put it up the Garda to make a thing of it, or not. I suspect he would not have.

But you'd be within your rights to make a written complaint to his/her Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Which is standard for a lot of policies now. You have coverage in your own car but also covered to a point in other cars.

To me, I could be wrong, the OP seemed to suggest they had no insurance at all to drive the car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I dont understand why anyone is debating the cover on the car. The OP clearly states this in their OP:

"By the way unfortunately the insurance company gave us false information on our policy and that's why we drove the car. Now they say that my boyfriend can't drive it because it is on his name."

So the car and driver where not insured at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

They had no insurance, garda was correct, he did what he is paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Nonsense, they had no insurance, if they drove off like you advise and had an accident people would criticise the garda for letting them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Mr guard I'm certain I didn't murder that person, the blood is all mine. I'm going to drive away now.

Yeh.... Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Two Gardai enter shop to buy one grocery item…..yeah they never waste time when on duty, do they.

If they were off duty and going to into a shop for personal reasons, do they still have the authority to question people ?

Not having insurance is wrong and should be punished, but some Members do like the bit of power

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You don't think there is a danger when an uninsured driver is milling about the place?

If they are willing to break the 2nd most important rule of being on the road after having a license then who knows what other rules they are breaking as they drive? The guards could have been called for any incident in the meantime and the people drive off and hit someone. Probably blame the guards then for not preventing serious injury.

If more people were embarrassed for their ridiculous behaviour in cars then maybe something would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'd say the op has moved on to a new account at this stage.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement