Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you get a bad meal do you complain?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its very rare I get a bad meal, I arrived late into a town recently and the only place open was this burger place. I cannot over state how bad it was, I refused to pay, it didn't go down well. After alot of arguing I agreed to pay a 1/3rd of the main course price. I always check reviews before I eat somewhere but we were tired and only choice we had so I got caught and it annoys me so much paying anything for terrible food that isn't cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

How can you refuse to pay ???? 🙄

you could ask for a reduction on price if it wasnt good/acceptable, but i dont think you can refuse to pay ??

If you went to a movie, and you didnt like it , would you demand your money back ?!??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I always remember a good restaurant quote - "if you had a good experience, tell your friends - If you had a bad experience, tell us".

I would definitely complain if the food was inedible, but if I actually ate it and felt it was not great, I probably wouldn't.

I recently had a steak served cold -so I cut into it in way that I would know if they microwaved it and didn't give me a new steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

Fish is a tricky one!

I remember a few (gastro)pubs in London local to me back in the day... you would walk in of a weekend and get blinded by the bang of rotten fish, never trust a restaurant where your food makes your eyes water before you see it 😀 rugby lads, yummy mummies and the rest all tucking into minging fish n chips.

I lived near a great fishmonger for a while, would be in there maybe 3 days a week so would be on talking terms with the staff, towards the start or the end of the week they would point out the fish to avoid, it wouldn't make you sick but it would be far past it's best I guess. They told me what they had left on a Saturday they would sell to the local (posh) supermarket!

I can see why so many people dislike fish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

Yeah most of time I agree, but it does depend on the place, if its somewhere that clearly puts an effort into the food, then they will want to know because mistakes happen, foods variable and the chef can't taste everything. If its a place where the staff don't check back then I tend not to bother unless its terrible.

But there is a fine line between complaining and being a kernt, can be a tricky line to walk after a bit of wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Ah! I see you know dishes well! Good one, Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'd ignore you too for putting chips with Indian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

I absolutely do complain. They need to be made aware, and given the chance to rectify it. Every place I've done it were happy to try and rectify the issue. Thankfully, it is few and far between, but one place local to me has been poor on two occasions in a row, and while they either replaced or did not charge, I've stopped going to them. I'm not willing to chance a third disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

If its a chipper, you eat it or you don't.

I'd like to see you go up to the counter and demand to speak to the chef ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thankfully the Basil Fawlty types are few and far between.

But I'm still wondering is that drunk in Enniskillen still cheffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

When you get a bad meal do you complain? Yes of course, and why not ...

Food ain't cheap these days so if it's a bad meal of course I'd complain, for two reasons, one it's my money and I was looking forward to eating my meal, and secondly, my complaint may help the next customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Ha good one. We are introducing the kids to Indian food and chips are part of the negotiations ☺️ with them

Seriously though would you wait 90 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah fair play, once you get them hooked on the Indian they won't look back.

But no, 90 mins for takeaway is ridiculous. Better off going to a restaurant at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Only twice have I complained about poor food. Once when I was in a "gastro" pub in Bray, I ordered mussels in a creamy sauce, the dish arrived and I knew straight away from the smell they were off. The server tried to insist they were ok but I had to explain that I regularly buy and cook shellfish so I knew what they should smell like, and they should not smell of wee! On another ocassion I was in a local coffee shop for breakfast with my sister. Towards the end of eating her dish she noticed a snail in the side sakad/ garnish. Notified the server, got a bare apology and waited 20 mins for the extra coffees we ordered; wouldn't go back there again, if they'd given us a complimentary coffee we would have been happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

No I wouldn’t complain unless something was horrendous. Life is too short.

I remember a mate had a boyfriend that complained about everything everywhere we went. It was so draining

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It wasnt a chipper it was a sit down restaurant. I was always going to pay but I wanted them to know how bad it was so I said I'm absolutely not paying for that burger. I didn't eat it took a few bites but it was so bad, I'm still trying to figure out how you could get a burger so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Had a charge on my bill for 'Table water' of 2 x €1 = €2...... you know when they come around when u sit down and fill up a small glass of water while you decide what beverage to go for. We never asked for water..... we like to save that space in our belly for alcohol!! The bill for the night for 2 people was close to €90 before tipping..

Called the Manager and told him that 'it was not on'.... especially as it was pissing down outside all day and the town was drowning in water!. And it came from the tap.... not bottled water which I appreciate has a cost. He blagged it off that 'it was double- filtered'!

Told him it was gauging and greedy...... and that he was lucky I didn't go on TripAdvisor - which to me is the worse thing that can happen to a Restaurant/ Hotel if they get bad reviews as I always check same when staying in an out of town hotel etc. Asked him politely to pass on my comments to Management / Owners to have it removed as it does not do the image of the restaurant any good especially as their food is excellent and gave my name and number if they wanted to discuss same with me.

First time I ever felt that 'TODAY IS THE DAY' when I am fed up being screwed over... and felt so strongly that I had to complain on the concept.

Don't think I will go back there again... as I be worried if they would take out their revenge on me on my steak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Chips make every meal better especially an Indian.

As for complaining, I wouldn't, I know I should if it's justified but to me it's just a very difficult thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If it was say stone cold or inedible yes.…if it was just a bit average, pay and never return and probably leave a no star review and an honest appraisal of the bad experience.

cafe bar on the outskirts of temple bar I was a regular at for years, over a decade , been there with friends, family and on my todd. ‘Was‘ superb….all of a sudden prices skyrocketed, they reduced the amount of items on the menu and the quality of food took a serious nosedive…

last time I was in there they had replaced their ‘homemade’ fresh and delicious lasagne with something that resembled a reheated microwave job from a packet, burger was advertised still as ‘home made’ but was quite obviously now a frozen beef burger you’d get in a supermarket freezer as opposed to a homemade / handmade mince burger…what were described fresh ‘hand cut’ fries were from a frozen bag too. The only hand involved was the one that opened the bag. Last afternoon I was in there I witnessed the manager or owner issue an almighty bollocking to his best waitress…. This was in front of customers. The girl happened to be the most efficient, pleasant, hard working and genuine person there. Surly cünt obviously had zero respect for staff or clients, just interested in €. Now I’m seeing charging restaurant prices for cafe comfort and food… love the waiting staff, love the comfort and ambiance but the food has gone way downhill and that grinchy fûcksticle owner and his missus wasn’t too nice either, …. Nahhh complaining in person won’t do SFA…. Leaving a very public appraisal for people to see will…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I went there a few times over the last 12 months- I thought it was way overpriced, lots of staff standing around, or else getting out of the way where work needed to be done. I was in front of the display where the food is/was, and was trying to order something, but the lady at the till, 4 feet away, would not come down, there was no name on it, so I didn't know what they called it, anyway, she would not budge, and said that was not her area, I was with my wife, said nothing, just ordered 2 sandwich and chips, then proceeded to try and find a clean spot among the dirty tables - Charged more than I would be for table service in Killarney, and it was basically self service crap at a dirty table where you had to hunt for cutlery- I swore we would never go back- I had no idea why people went there.

Advertisement