Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you get a bad meal do you complain?

Options
  • 27-02-2024 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

A friend had a meal lately in the Carriage House in Adare manor (a fancy spot, quite expensive and has a great reputation) recently and said it was awful. I asked him did he complain and he said no, what's the point?

I get it but it annoyed me too. We're all so afraid of causing a problem we'll put up with pure shite.

Do you complain about bad food or service or do you, like most Irish people, take it on the chin and moan about it elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if it was something like the beef was very tough, I would say it when im leaving, I wouldn't trust what they would do to the food if I sent it back.

but if the food was inedible, I would say it and leave without eating it or paying.

Then I wouldn't ever return to the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Just the once that I can remember. Got fish and chips and the fish was sitting in a big pool of grease on the plate. Brought it to their attention and they kindly offered to make me another one but I politely declined 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I do if its really bad.

I got a steak in a place inn Galway once, it tased like it was a 3 euro job from Aldi. Said it to the waiter, the manager came out, said he tried a bit and said it was worse that he would give his dog. Got the whole meal and a round of drinks for free.

I also like fish, and the amount of places where the fish isnt fresh is mad. Usually they are ok when you say it. One place the chef himself came out and thanked me for saying it, he had served around 5 before me and he said it was 100% turned. He was actually happy as it saved him more sick customers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I only ever got one really bad one. The food was so tough I even had to cut the gravy with a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, cold meal served in the Old Spot recently and had them heat it back up. Kind of ruins things when someone has to wait for their food to come back while the others eat or let their food go cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If it's just not great, I'll eat it, pay and not return.

If it's bad but edible, I'll probably soldier on but then when they inevitably ask "was everything OK?" I'll be honest. Last time I did this was in a place in Portrush where the food was passable, but all clearly frozen and not very pleasant. They denied that it was from frozen but comped the lot.

If it's brutal, I'll return it and leave (I also don't trust the chef not to wipe his hole with it before returning).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Sometimes it’s a matter of appreciating local fare. You may not be aware of the epoxy type gravies that grace Alabama plates. It’s an acquired taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you don't tell them they don't have the opportunity to put things right.

Anyone running a restaurant will know what to do and so should the staff.

You're actually doing them a favour by giving them a chance to put their planned response into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The chicken was so tough it asked me outside for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

`I went to a restaurant with my wife a number of years ago. Very new place but connected to a very well known butcher in Dublin.

The place looked great and the starters were good. When the mains came my wife had a lovely main. My main was stone cold in the centre but looked great. I called them over explained and they said they would make me a new one. After 20 minutes a new one comes out I cut into it and it was frozen on the inside. They obvious prepared this stuff in advance and then defrost them some way that is meant to heat them through and claim they were made on the day. Called them over and showed them and they were all apologies and asked if I wanted something else. I declined and we prepared to leave.

They gave us the starters free and didn't charge for my main. I was disgusted as they did ruin a night out. I had choice words about the food not being fresh and their inability to buy a meat thermometer to check their food.

It didn't last long in that location but they do still have a restaurant that is pretty pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Had an issue with a meal in a bar near the 3Arena before a gig. I completely understood that it was busier than usual but was waiting nearly an hour for some chicken wings and chips and a chicken burger and chips.

Food was definitely just reheated in the microwave before being brought out to us. Was starving so reluctantly ate it quickly, paid and left as we were nearly late for the gig.

Emailed them explaining the situation and as we had a booking they could find our bill easily, sent me a voucher for the full 2 meals and a drink each as an apology. Went back without a gig on and had great service and food was 10 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Not if it's a succulent Chinese meal!

On a serious note i probably wouldn't but i would make sure that i wouldn't get food from there again or give it a pass for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Complained once and the Missus hit me on the head with the saucepan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've had some bad experiences with takeaways. And followed them up in writing by email and letter.

Never heard a word back, so I'm happy to warn others and rubbish the establishments since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I have not had a bad meal in decades. I have tried things and did not like them or asked for a steak to be put back for a extra minute or two that kind of thing. But nothing truly awful for years.

The one that will always stick in my mind will be an afternoon coffee in Temple Bar. I popped in for a coffee and they had six beautiful apple pies on display dusted with some kind of sugar. So I ordered a slice and sat down. I put a fork full into my mouth and spat it out immediately, I did not even have the will power to hold it long enough to get a napkin - it was salt! They had used salt not sugar in the making and for the dusting. All six were found to be the same as was pretty much everything else, except a tuna sandwich which I politely declined.

I guess it was the deliberate act of someone or other as I can not imagine they did not taste what they were making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A few years ago in Enniskillen in a restaurant I ordered monkfish. Starter was fine but the monkfish turned up swimming in gravy. I asked the very nice young girl if perhaps the chef had mixed up the orders. After checking she came back and told me the chef said that is how it was served. I asked her if he was drunk. Her answer was "I think he is."We both agreed there was no way I was paying, and after paying her a good tip, (in cash), I left never to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I rang an Indian at the weekend to order a takeaway at 7.40pm and was told 55 minute wait over the phone. Arrived at a chipper at 8.15pm to grab chips to go with the food. Arrived at indian at 8.25pm.

The food came out at 9.10pm. 90 minutes after the call. While leaving another customer was complaining about waiting times

I sent a complaint which has been ignored to date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

If it was bad enough I would complain, smaller issues I just wouldn't go back. I commented rather than complained lately re a dish I got in a place that seems to have a chef who thinks pesto is great squirted on every plate even pancakes! I'll be back again but will remember next time to stipulate no pesto when I order!

As it happens I stopped in a shop lately for a look around and decided to have a coffee and cake in the cafe there, the cake was beyond woeful, it was rock hard with a dried skin on it where it had obviously been cut for days and lying around, totally inedible. I looked around at the staff and to be honest it was a just a couple of very young staff so I figured pointless making any fuss, decided to myself I would hold fire and mention it to the owner of the cafe when I next saw him or his mother in their main location. Guess I won't be doing that now! Think he has a lot more on his mind than a bit of stale cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Havenowt

I heard the food is lovely there. He was properly too focused on the the export side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

This was in the place in Limerick, can't remember name of shop, out past Regional Hospital, food in Tralee is indeed very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

has to be Franko’s 😁 constantly swinging from utter shite to half decent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Always wary about complaining and sending food back as I'd be reluctant to take a chance on what might be in/on the replacement.

Had a chicken dish in a busy local Italian and it was by far and away the toughest chicken I've ever tasted. Couldn't eat it, it was awful so just ate the salad and chips. We complained when they were clearing the plates, and they could see the un-eaten chicken but they still charged us. We've never been back and make sure to tell people to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No it wasn`t Franco`s. As hit and miss as Franco`s can be I cannot see them serving gravy with monkfish. As a said this happened a few years ago so things may have improved there since. Not that I would ever be tempted to see if they have, but at the same time, it being some years ago, I would rarher not name it on the basis of giving a dog a bad name because of a drunk chef back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Schnooks

If it is a special occasion and an expensive restaurant, absolutely I would complain. But only if it was really bad. For other places like pub grub etc, if it is bad and they ask is everything ok, I will say no and try to give positive feedback rather than straight out demanding not to pay etc, and see where that takes us. If it is passable but not great, I usually say it was ok and say no more, but not go back.

I suppose for me it all depends on where you are eating and how much you are spending.

For example, one of our worst ever experiences was in Kinsale in a place where the owner is "mad about fish". Everything from the service to the food to the wait times to the staff attitude (40 min after our booking, which we turned up for on time, before we were seated. And 25 of those sitting at the bar where we were told to go before anyone came and served us) was absolute rubbish, and expensive rubbish at that.

There was no senior management there on a busy Sat night, so venting at my early 20s waitress who is probably just earning a few bob at the weekend, wouldn't acheive anything, she just hadn't a clue what she was doing, and she wasn't the only one. We had to ask 3 times for cutlery to eat our main course with, I eventually asked a passing manager do you want us to eat with our hands? And this 10 min after our very substandard mains came out. Left no tip and when we are asked as we were leaving "was everything ok", I just said "no it was absolutely not ok and I will never be back again" and left it at that. Left an interesting Tripadvisor review though, which was never answered in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In general, I would complain about chaotic service because the restaurant, pub, or cafe can see what going on.

I would complain if it's about laziness by the chef or kitchen staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yes, i would/do.

If you complain, it doesnt have to be an attack on the restaurant/cafe/hotel ...

The last time i did was in a fairly pricey restaurant, the steak was very tough/chewy for both of us.

So when the owner came around doing the usual 'how is everything for you'...

I said the steak is very tough, its dissappointing.

She said straight away ' thank you for telling me , we have changed supplier, and you are not the first to say that , apologies , and we will put your desert on the house'

I did not expect anything free, i just wanted to let them know...

So fair play to her , to take the complaint, and not get offended or bitchy about it.

So my main take after eating there was how good she is at looking after her customers, not how tough the steak was....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Would it not have made more sense to put the steak on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Actually - she did ! 😣

But as i said - i didnt complain to get anything for free.

The desert free was in another restaurant where they forgot about our desert , and when i reminded them about it, what we had ordered was all gone - so they gave us a choice of the other deserts for free .......

Jeez - i dont have much luck eating out !!!! 😲 😂

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Advertisement