Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarry Large-scale Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wouldn't there have been thousands of lads going in and out to work there and using those roads before the Crystal site became derelict, as well as all the lorries and tourists too? Don't forget the ring road and the bypass have also diverted probably hundreds of cars away from that area every day.

I'd also counter that locating students right next to where they study could actually reduce traffic in the area as students will be able to walk across to college every day rather than driving in from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

I imagine the car parking spaces will be limited due to the proximity of the site to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I wouldn't say there were thousands of people working there on one shift? Also there has been a huge amount of development out the klibarry road in the 14 or so years since the Crystal has been closed, The Six Cross Roads exit to Outer Ring Road is always backed up due to bad planning which is the point I'm making, That exit is always backed right up to the Tesco roundabout and is a bottle neck as the exit bottles down to one exit and back out to 2 at the very last 2 or 3 cars, There is an issue with traffic in all the arteries leading to outer ring road at that particular time and it is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...theres far more traffic on the road nowadays, a significant proportion of students now also drive, compared to previous generations, yes students may walk to college from this location, but noting not all college activities take place on main campus, with some having to move between various locations, meaning they ll be driving, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The suggestion that the road from the firestation through Ballybeg to the Six Cross roundabout is jam packed with traffic all the time is risible. I use it very regularly in both directions. There are natural hold ups at the Cork Road and ORR junctions at busy times, but what do people expect? We do have some kind of functioning economy. The suggestion that large scale student housing as opposite Morris's and at Riverwalk on the Inner Ring are not on busy roads is likewise risible. Neither ever cause any traffic hold up even though according to Wanderer 78 "a significant proportion of students now also drive, compared to previous generations" as far as I can see and I pass both places multiple times per day. Anyone who remembers the glass in full swing will tell you about the thousands who worked there daily (I don't recall shift work) and hundreds of thousands per annum who visited the showrooms.

Throwaway, catch all remarks of "bad planning" in the Ballybeg area, simply because traffic backs up at peak times are just plain wrong and unfair. Perhaps those making that allegation would care to expand in detail on what they mean by"bad planning"? All the land out along the road mentioned is within the ORR circle, convenient to most facilities and has been zoned for housing for a long time. New access roads were opened up for new housing along the road which was redeveloped and widened with roundabouts to give access to the ORR.

Those posting about traffic delays should try accessing the M50 at peak times to see what delay really means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and again, there is now a significantly higher volume of vehicles on the road compared to previous generations, this includes a significantly higher volume of small trips including school runs, work related trips, and of course social related trips, this includes student traffic, as many students also have to balance their studies with work, and other life commitments, including social commitments, all of this increases the volume of traffic on our roads....

...yes its best we use current traffic situations such as the m50 to highlight what it is like when significantly increasing traffic in areas, and come to conclusions in order to try prevent traffic problems elsewhere, so great point, thank you....

You cannot have it both ways. Either the proposed student accommodation will cause traffic problems or it will not. Large scale, existing student accommodation does not, either in the Manor or in Riverwalk, despite your (Wanderer 78) suggestion that "a significant number of students now also drive". Traffic problems, such as they are on the road between the Fire Station and ORR, are a result of peak time traffic caused by ecnocomic growth which your posts have constantly viewed in a very negative light, unless I am mistaken.

Your posts suggest to me that you live in the area and are espousing a clearly NIMBY point of view. This LSD will be permitted for obvious reasons both by council and/or by ABP, because its in the right place.

I have no connection in any form with the developer involved.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

For anyone who has or currently uses the college, the car park is an absolute nightmare, if you are a student staying in the newly proposed accommodation you will 100% walk over to the main campus as trying to get parking there is a disaster.

Any students with cars will most likely use them outside of peak hours so while it might see an increase in traffic I don't see if being a significant increase especially at peak times.

I'm not but if I was worried about added traffic volumes I'd probably be more concerned about the plans for the innovation Centre, if this is full of businesses the majority of people working there will drive to the location.

What's the alternative? Leave lands idle? Build housing? Which adds more traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

This planned development is in the right location. It could not be a better site. Nobody is affected by it. If anything it most likely will take students out of the likes of Templers Hall estate. But then again people would rather moan and look at an empty overgrown wasteland.

So you're comparing it to the M50 and we should be happy that its not like that.

• Advertisement

Its not about moaning and what we would prefer or not prefer, its about bad planning and hoping that this isn't another case of that, I'm all for it otherwise, but I think too many people are too quick to jump the gun and say yep will be great go ahead there bosco no bodder boi, I also think that a few posters on here are either in planning or related to someone in planning. I think to not argue (DEBATE) about a proposed development is lunacy.

Ill give an example of bad planning, if you come to the lights on the Cork Road outside Heaton Buckley(Chadwicks) if you want to turn left down towards Meadowbank and a bus happens to be stopped at the bus stop cars on a green light can no longer turn left on a green light as the bus blocks the progress of traffic as its at its stop, this then backs traffic up at that junction, that is bad planning, that stop should be no where near those traffic lights,

My concern is the proximity to those traffic lights and entrance and exits of cars into that new facility and of course extra traffic in that area, I'm not going to speculate on it any more that's just my opinion on it and time will tell, I will be avoiding that area in the mornings and evenings coming to and from work.

These are traffic management issues for heavens sake, not bad planning.

Have you contacted your local councillors to see if a proper bus stop can be built there?

Might I suggest if you do intend to take your traffic management concerns further that you contact the council Road's Department and not the Planning Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

I think you mean turning right and not left at heatons ,the same issue on the manor outside the circle k garage ,and its like that in all cities across Ireland i was in Limerick Dublin and Cork recently and it was the same with bus stops on the road ,as others have said these are traffic management issues not planning department issues .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

So are you suggesting that students will add to the traffic congestion locally as they will be driving from the new development to the SETU campus during peak times….?

Another question….does the waterford urban area really suffer from traffic congestion..? outside the two week day peaks of 8am to 9am and 4:45pm to 6pm traffic flows fairly freely unless there is an accident or it’s the Friday of a long weekend…!

No I'm not, Im suggesting that if an entry exit is put in close proximity to those traffic lights any traffic coming and going will add to traffic issues.

I'm sorry, traffic management is a part of planning if you're planning a new build traffic and entry exits are taken into consideration in planning and objections.

• Advertisement

Ps i meant turning left if you are heading away from town

I tried several times but was left on hold several times or moved from one dept to another, I think this part of the conversation now is just tit for tat

Phne calls no good. E mail to several councillors whose e-mails are on council page will help. Bus stops are decided upon by TII after housing built and subsequent demand emerges.

No, not being tit for tat, genuinely wondering what the reasoning is for having bus stops like that one.

As someone else said you are waiting your time ringing, email is the only way while cc'ing your local councillors, I found I always get a response that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looking at the plans, it's forcing the cars coming out of the student complex to go left - so making them go towards the roundabout.

Yeah but hold on, how many degrees do people need to see putting a bus stop 10 feet away from a junction is gonna cause problems and possible crashes, several cars overtake the bus that's at its stop and go into on coming traffic a few near misses I've seen myself, part of planning and planning petitions are because of traffic an increase of or congestion to, that's why people put in objections, and why planning is amended in the planning phase, I have contacted the council a few times on a few issues and have spoken to the door knockers looking for votes about several issues but they don't seem to care, you really need to be right in there and rattle cages keep emailing and keep calling them on particular issues to get anywhere, but who has the time to do that and I think half the time they know ah people will give up complaining about these things.

Can I just ask, what was the reason for this particular build to be rejected when it was proposed for the green space outside the Templars Hall estate?

Having bus stops on the road is a regular occurrence across the country and not just Waterford.

It can be due to a number of reasons, the council do not own the land where a bus stop would be built, there isn't enough room to relocate the footpath, they don't have enough funding to realign the footpath and so on.

The putter ring ring towards ardkeen is another area where the bus stop is on the road.

• Advertisement

Which is why its a good idea to look at planning that's about to be approved to see is that area impacted by bus stops or congestion etc etc etc

Advertisement