Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarry Large-scale Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

A new & large roundabout needs to be put in place at that junction before any developments start!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Looks like a real positive step towards what's necessary for proper student accommodation in that area. Get students out of "normal" housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

Great to see this, it's a pity it won't be owned by SETU as it would be a nice revenue stream for future developments.

They might regret closing the Dome bar with so many students living near by!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

very much needed, but im sure they residents of templers will have a few issues with it!

I'd imagine they would be delighted to see students leave their estate and live in properly managed accommodation. There never seems to be any issue with student accommodation in Manor Street or un Riverwalk on the Inner Ring Road.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Advertisement

...i just cant see it happening that way, maybe it would simply increase the number of students in the whole area, with very few, if any great numbers actually leaving templers, i suspect this is the way residents will also see it, and present this in their proposals in refusal of planning...

If they eventally appeal this development to ABP. They will lose hands down. It is positive for Templars Hall and for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Why would lunatic students that have a free run of templars hall move into monitored accommodation.

I hope it happens but can't see it happening, unless the accommodation is significantly cheaper than tenplars.

Because you are looking at the dark side? The Riverwalk place works perfectly. Things work out over time. Some laughif people in Temmplars Halll objected to something that will improve their area. But NIMBY is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Can't for the life of me figure out why the map has omitted labels for the halting site and the civic amenity site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Lets not be naive, students love the party atmosphere. Student accommodation, no party. Housing estate out of scope of the college housing students, party central.

...i think some people live in cuckoo land when it comes to such things, its clearly obvious this is exactly what would happen, and residents are more than likely also gonna see it this way, hence why they ll be out in force to try prevent this, and rightfully so, templers is a dreadful place at times, i know people that had to run out of there due to the serious distress it was causing them and their family, and also know some that had no choice but to stay, i wish them the best...

I may be among the naive ones, but I bet that it will get planning even if it is appealed to ABP. It's somewhat away from Templar's Hall on a detached site (as far as I can see). If we follow your and other's logic then student accommodation can't be built anywhere in the vicinty of the college because student's might go to Templar's Hall. If the college is to grow to 15,000 students which seems to be the target in the university I believe we all want and is necessary to stop the brain drain, then student accommodation will be a fact of life. Residents have had a difficult time in Templar's Hall,because a lack of proper accommodation forced people into houses in a family estate, but better management with improved access to proper accommodation is probably the key to the issues you mention.

Trying to stop this development is trying to stop part of the solution emerging IMHO.

...the reality is, the damage is now done in the area regarding student accommodation, the situation in templers should have never been allowed to escalate to where it is or was, residents will simply do everything in their power to never allow this to happen again, and/or to allow it to escalate to where it is or was, there will clearly be extremely strong resistance from them, and you cant blame them either, again i know people that have lived there, and still do, its taken a significant toll on them and their family, with serous sleep deprivation, and other serious issues, try live under those type of conditions, and live a normal life, it causes serious stress in relationships....

...yes we re in desperate need of such facilities for students, but again, the damage is now done in this area.....

...ive been a student myself in the past, we of course had our parties and what not, but theres major differences to then and now, theres been a monumental rise in the use of drugs, especially class a's since then, this is causing a significant rise in antisocial behavior amongst its users, of which is extremely high amongst students, again, try live a normal life around such behaviors, and you ll know all about it....

...again, its highly unlikely that student residents would reduce in the surrounding areas, as thats what the properties were build for, this can be very lucrative for landlords, but many simply turn a blind eye to the anti-social behaviors, and as others have said, if the proposed is indeed a well managed facility, the problems will simply migrate to these surrounding areas....

...the only way around these issues is green field sites away from non student accommodation, to give these non student residents at least a chance of living a normal happy life, cause otherwise, its hell....

That's the Northern ireland attitude. Damage done, so nothing can be done or fixed? Bad landlords do have responsibility. As far as I can see its a greenfield site away from existing "normal"housing. Offering trenchant opposition based on past issues is simply preventing a solution emerging. Its always the same. As I said, I believe this will get planning.

no, this is our now reality, i.e. nothing to do with northern ireland, nothing at all!

...theres clearly serious anti-social issues with a cohort of students, whom many are consuming extremely large amounts of cocaine, and other drugs, this is having a serious and detrimental effect on others, including inducing serious mental health issues, due to sleep deprivation from these anti-social behaviors....

...go and talk to these individuals, better again, go and stay with them during college term, and see for yourself....

...the site proposed is clearly surrounded by student and none student accommodation, in close proximity....

...significantly increasing student accommodation in the area is not a 'solution', its a big 'fcuk you' to those none student residents, that have been very negatively effected thus far.....

...i may stand corrected on this, but i believe such a proposal was made before, and was refused, so.....

My understanding is that the refused permission was on a site almost in Templar's hall. The present one, again in my understanding, is that this is part of a large scale urban renewal development on the whole site from the Yellow House outward which has been worked on in council and with the developer for more than a year as is normal with these LSDs . God know's the site, the city and the area needs it. The attitude you espouse is as we have heard from Northern Ireland voices over the past 50 years, ie, we cannot forget what happened in the past, therefore we cannot move on to any solution. Of course the present site has nothing to do with Northern ireland.

The condemnation of student life as all the same and drug fueled, because of a cohort, is bit of a stretch.These are issues for the forces of law. The site faces the Cork Road Road opposite the old glass works and is surrounded by an independent road network. It is detached from Templar's Hall as the map supplied above shows. Your post suggests that student accommodation would have to be built miles from anywhere lest it interfere with anyone. I rather fear from reading your posts from time to time that you are opposed to any development. Nimbyism perhaps?

15k students is debatable. The plan is for SETU to get to 25k, presently there is 19k students.

Waterford has 9k approx students. That would mean Waterford would need to obtain every single one of those places, with a new campus planned for Wexford and extending the Carlow Campus I don't see how we get to 15k students in Waterford unless the board grows a pair and establishes Waterford as the driving force behind SETU.

A possible 3 2 1 split in favour of Waterford. Would give Waterford say 13000. That still needs a lot of accommodation. Hard to see Wexford doing much more than 1000 in short term. Carow numbers always a bit of a mystery and subject to massive fluctuations.

You would think that would occur as it's the most logical, a lot will depend where the minister of the day is!

i.e if Wexford have a full minister we will see funds made available for Wexford campus.

Same for Carlow/KK as it would be for Waterford. The whole sham of the TU, local politics will now play a major role.

Either way the accommodation is very welcome but also confirms the state of the TU process.

TUs unable to borrow from the ECB to build such developments in order to provide a revenue stream for further developments without depending on the minister of the day.

Instead these projects will be built and owned by private industry where the TUs make zero income from such developments.

Mr Frisby will own all the student accommodation, own and redevelop the old crystal office block and rent it to SETU. Master stroke by him.

• Advertisement

I believe that SETU will develop its own student accommodation on the site they have purchased as borrowing will eventually have to be allowed for TUs. Mr Frisby will develop his as well. How that will work out I dont know.

One caveat about ministerial power. Howlin and Hogan were in power, the former for a long time. He tried to get Carlow iT to improve its offer in Wexford over many years, all with no result. HEA would not agree. There has been a fairly unsuccessful Carlow IT campus in Wexford for years, even the strongest politician can't wave magic wand and move courses from one place to another. SETU board permission and HEA agreement would be necessary for a start. They will need to develop courses that are not already on offer and make a business case to stand them up AFAIK. They have a a hard road ahead. Anyone who knows Poppyfield outside Clonmel will know what I mean.

I'm not convinced, IT Carlow rarely mentioned having a campus in Wexford as you said they had little interest in it.

Whereas SETU always state, Carlow, Waterford and Wexford Campuses.

They even hold graduate ceremonies in Wexford since the establishment of SETU. There seems to be a focus on Wexford with the whole "regional" balance that TUs play into these days.

Howlin and Wexford politicians in particular were very keen in getting SETU over the line they surely have something lined up.

That said I'll keep that talk for the SETU thread and let this thread get back to the kilbarry development

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

Looks good and to be honest the site is a mess currently. The not in my back yard brigade will probably still be out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Why? It will be a building site the same as many others on the road to the Six Cross roundabout, none of which have caused any problems. There is a very large student village in Riverwalk and another opposite Morris's in The Manor which never cause any traffic problems.

Stop looking for difficulties in advance and winding up people.

I'm gonna get some grief on this one, but I would rather see this go up, a well managed maintained building that's creating jobs and revenue for the local economy, than the estate that's just been built just off from the proposed site, given out to people free or for very little rent and its already a rough looking spot, Piles of pallets been collected and sold from the very first building and it just gets worse.

Do the council not have an appointed person that goes around and checks that their properties are being properly cared for?

I'm doing nothing of the sort, I live in a very close proximity to that area, the traffic up the kilbarry road is always very heavy at certain times of the day, the traffic coming upto that junction is very heavy at certain times a day, it will add to traffic in that area, Planning and adequate planning is what I have an issue with, all of the traffic that's on that main artery all leads to ONE lane coming off Six Cross Roads to the Outter Ring Road, and as a result backs traffic up way down nearly as far as the Tesco roundabout, Traffic will be impacted by this, The council aren't great at amending infrastructure as a result of massive amounts of building work over the past number of years, Templars, Foxwood, Tesco Carraig an Aird Musgraves etc etc etc

Funny I seem to recall your early posts when you thought nothing was going on in this part of the world..? Now that its going on to improve a situation by providing proper, well managed, student accommodation, adjacent to a university, you are against it. Nimbyism, or am I missing the point?

Of course the area may need traffic remediation, as do many places in the city. Car ownership has multiplied three fold over past three decades after all. I use the road to the Six Cross very regularly by the way as it provides access (built by the council) to and from the Outer Ring Road. You should go to Galway and see what traffic problems really mean as they do not have road infrastructure as good as that in Waterford.

Questions about management of council properties and negative behviour therein, as you mention, has nothing to do with what is proposed and should not be conflated with proper student accommodation, such as Riverwalk to which I again draw your attention as to how a well managed student village works.

• Advertisement

I don't think Nimbyism has anything to do with highlighting a problem that affects most road users, I mentioned my location as a means to justify the fact that I can see on a daily basis how busy that junction is and the traffic on it, I have nothing against this development it seems to be a nice development and here's hoping it goes well, but I do have concerns about the increase in traffic in that area and I think as a tax paying, voting citizen I am entitled to raise my concerns and furthermore I think debate is a good thing, I think its very dangerous if things get introduced without argument or debate. As to your comment about my previous posts I think that reflects more on you than me.

That proposed site will be on an already major junction that is already very busy, unlike that other places you mentioned.

I also have a concern when it comes to this particular developer, putting objections in on other major proposals in their own financial interests not in the interests of the community, Decathlon was blocked by Frisby on the basis that it would affect his business not because it would affect the greater good of the community.

Advertisement