Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport, Terminal 1, near gate 204 selling Sandwiches at exorbitant prices.

Options
  • 23-02-2024 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

At Dublin Airport, Terminal one, near gate 204 they are selling packaged sandwiches at a price for around Euro 8.50. That's utter madness considering there is nothing really special about them.

The usual prices for similar sandwiches in Dublin are between 3 and 4 Euros, and maybe 5 or 6 Euros for really bigger ones.

Are people really buying them at these prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

Been awhile since I saw a sandwich for around the 3 euro mark - even the plastic sandwiches in the likes of Costa are at least a fiver.

As for Dublin airport pricing? Captive audience, simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Captive audience… absolutely

the airport was always expensive for food going way back…

yes there are extra costs involved in operating at an airport but also there is captive footfall for about 18 - 19 hours of 24.. maybe more with early AM summer charters….

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

If you want your choice of routes to improve then always give your trade to the Airlines, not the Concessions in the Airport. Once passenger cap is lifted airlines making good profit out of Dublin will offer more routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Most airports are famous for it now,Turkish airports everything about double what it should be in the towns/resorts,French airports well known for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

Nothing new, Seinfeld was doing routines about it in the early 90s

Jerry: Do you think that the people at the airport that run the stores have any idea what the prices are every place else in the world? Or do you think they just feel they have their own little country out there and they can charge anything they want? "You hungry? Tuna sandwich is nine dollars. You don't like it? Go back to your own country." I think the whole airport airline complex is a huge scam just to sell the tuna sandwiches. I think that profit is what's supporting the whole air travel industry. I mean think about it. The terminals, the airplanes, it's all just a distraction so that you don't notice the beating that you're taking on the tuna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do yourself a favour and bring a bit of grub from home.

Cheese sandwich, apple and KitKat about €2.50.

My standard fare for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Some other trolley in the RA departure area selling filter coffee for the same money as barista coffee.

No idea what the concession costs but that's just a rip off. Everything about Dublin Airport is substandard for top price. T1 is horrible and T2 looks like its already due a refurb. Go to somewhere like Zurich to see an airport designed for people. The price of food etc is high but % wise not marked up as much as in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This!

The most I've bought either in the airport or on a flight in years is a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Agree with @elperello. I'm not mean but I just like plain stuff, so a cheese sandwich, a banana and maybe a couple of plain muffins, and I'm good to go. Keep some for the plane. On the way back I'll just bring a bag of scoff consisting of the local cake like delicacy that's easy to eat and some fruit. I wouldn't eat in the airport unless I'm delayed. Extortionate mundane craaap and the sit down places are like a flippin zoo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Go to somewhere like Zurich to see an airport designed for people. The price of food etc is high but % wise not marked up as much as in Dublin.

Zürich is a great airport but the prices are outrageous. It was CHF 7.60 for a coffee in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Sure once you go through security at any airport, prices are unreal!

Everyone knows that, either be prepared to pay ridiculous prices, or bring your own grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

Food tastes different at altitude maybe they're charging for the experience if you eat it on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭chrisd2019

overpriced food and drink is normal at airports, captured clientele, bring your own food !

It's expensive, but priced for Swiss economy. Minimum wage is 24chf which is high, but inflation is low, things don't go up like they do here and sometimes go down.

Also, the problem for us in Euro land is the current weakness of the Euro and strength of CHF, now less than 1chf for a euro.

I worked over there. I never felt I was being ripped off for anything. I do feel that in Ireland. In 2002, a euro bought 1.4 CHF , strengthening to 1.65ch in 2005/6. If visiting at those rates, Switzerland would not expensive.

(Airport coffee would be €4.50)

All said, Ireland is also an expensive country, more expensive than many other European countries.

Hopefully the euro strengthens and we can afford to splurdge on a Zurich airport coffee. It's nice.😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

This is the classic Irish answer.

We are not alone on this and others are doing it as well.

Whilst higher prices on airports do exist, I've never noticed it that extreme as in Dublin. A sandwich for slightly above Euro 8.50 is more than a bit abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I presume Dublin Airport has a WH Smith store or is it Boots in Ireland, surely you've heard of the Meal Deal, a sandwich, soft drink and bag of crisps for about 7 Euro.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Dublin Airport has both WH Smith and Boots. The meal deal in the former is €7.95. That's pretty good value. Good luck with finding a deal like that in western European airports outside Ireland and the UK.

To be fair to Butlers and Boots, they don't seem to charge any more than in their non-airport locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jonathan2712

Your kidding right? Zurich is a nice airport but I bough a sandwich and a juice there last week for Euro 18! I fly most weeks for work and have passed though a fair few airport doing this for almost 10 years now. Dublin isn't the best airport nor the cheapest, but it is a LONG way from being a bad airport or overpriced (when compared to airports, not the real world obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Supermacs opening in Dublin Airport soon. Hopefully it’s airside. Snackbox and some taco fries before departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And terminal 1 is still far better than terminal 2. the food and service in terminal 2 is woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Hope op never flies through US airports.

$27 for basic sandwich and coffee in Baltimore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Giving out about Dublin airport is another sort of national obsession. It’s pretty good tbh. T1 shows its age at arrivals and baggage reclaim. Decent amount of food options, paying a premium of course but not outright exploitation like some countries (States, Spain, Turkey, UAE etc).

The lounge offering in both T1 and T2 is pretty terrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Maccer will have special airport prices sure enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

€17 for a pint of Heineken in Zurich 2 years ago.

€11 for a burger (not a meal) in Burger King in Copenhagen airport 5 years ago

€10ish for a Diet Coke and a small Pringles in Philadelphia 7 years ago.

just some of the prices that have stuck with me. As has been said, airport mark up has always existed and Dublin isn’t the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

795c is not a meal deal.

Go to Dunnes before you travel.... 399c.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yep I came here to say if you have to buy food in the airport and don't want to spend a small fortune, a meal deal from Boots will sort you out. Don't wait until you get to the gates :) For some people a pint and a bite to eat at the airport is all part of the holiday experience but I fear the prices will be stopping this for some.

Post edited by miamee on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I bring two rounds of sandwiches to the airport, there's no problem getting them through security. I have one while waiting at the departure gate, and the other after I've landed. It's saved me $$$ over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wish people would stop thinking that a processed sandwich and a big of crisps is an actual meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

I went through Brussels airport in May last year. Didn't have time to get something local before we went to the airport, so I checked out the food hall when we arrived. For me and the missus and the wee fella, three burger meals consisting of burger, chips drink and a fruit/granola cup thingy would have cost..........€99.90!

Seriously €33.30 for a burger meal each. Think I've a photo somewhere......

• Advertisement

Advertisement