Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAA hiring Airport Police Officers 👮‍♂️

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 db3799

I have experience in policing, an airport-based role and am educated up to Master's level, overqualified for a role of this nature if anything and still have 'under review' on my app, which I'm going to withdraw today anyway as I simply can't afford the massive pay cut if I were to get in, silly of me to apply to begin with in all honesty.

Some people on this thread appear to be under the impression that the airport police are similar in status to the Gardaí, which of course is not true. The power of 'arrest' is simply a detention until the Gardaí arrive, very similar to what a private or store security guard would do. There is zero ability to prosecute. They are a visible 'police' presence at the airport but if any real law enforcement needs to happen, it is the guards who will handle that. They have a set of rigid cuffs but no pepper spray, baton or any self-defence equipment to my knowledge.

There are only 20 positions available and the majority will go to current DAA staff members, relatives of higher-ups in the DAA/Airport Police (internal or external - the nepotism in Dublin Airport is very, very real) and then I believe a small percentage of external candidates might get in purely on their own merit - I tip my hat to anybody who does so off their own bat. Good luck to those of you still in the running.

Post edited by db3799 on

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Veey true, sorry I dint mean anything by it... It was just my won personal thoughts.... I am.peobably wrong anyway from the information in the above 2 comments.

Does anyone know after all interviews are complete, will there be one panel with everyone or one Internal and one external panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 natalu

any news anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Drealmc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 i85

News are out already. Best of luck to the ones who passed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BB58

Just recieved an email to say that I'll be soon invited to the next stage which involves a physical assessment and an observation test.

Congratulations

• Advertisement

It’s a no for me. Best of luck for all who passed to the next stages :)

Does anyone know what was the starting salary? Was it worth the hassle?

42K starting.

I posted a breakdown of salary a couple of posts back. If you are new to the company and not already on the pay scale, it will equate to about €550 a week after deductions - possibly ever so slightly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

What is the max pay scale for this job?

starting on just over 43k, max out just over 74k after 18yrs service

From my previous post. This is from the revised scale that comes into effect April 2024. 100% reliable.

"Also, for those interested/asking, the starting salary is just over €40,000. It’s a 15 year pay scale, rising to approx €70,000.

The annual increments vary in amounts, from approx 1600 to 2500 per annum.

In real world terms, the starting salary would mean a fortnightly pay cheque (minus PAYE, PRSI and USC) of about €1,150. This does not include further deductions for pension contributions and union fees.

Not great, but not terrible given it’s an 'unskilled' job. If you’re considering changing from a career you’ve been in for a while, be mindful of the drop in money."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

The big advantage Garda pay has is the education allowances. Depending on your level of education, it can be worth five grand a year for a bachelors degree and up to ten grand a year for a Master’s, immediately from the day you join. The DAA don’t pay any education allowances. It’s a very handy gig no doubt though, which a lot of people would like. I’m told the new roster is almost 50% nights which seems to be a bone of contention on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Just out of interest who recruits for Airport Police for Cork? A job that has always interested me but I have never seen it advertised.

They’re currently advertising for Airport Police in Cork. Remember that the fire service and police are still a combined service in Cork, so you would be rotating between both.

https://www.daa.ie/job-listings/airport-police-and-fire-officers/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrRigsby

Not sure why you applied for a role you seem to think is beneath you in the first place . A lot of your remarks sound like sour grapes because they didn’t hire you . In relation to your comparison of the “status” of the two police forces I have a few observations to make . Firstly the Airport seem to have hundreds of applicants beating down their door for every position while the Gardai have dropped standards because they can’t get enough suitable applicants. The Airport doesn’t expect new recruits to live on a pittance during training like AGS does and the standard of uniform etc they have is light years above the day glow tracksuits AGS have . Airport police get all the perks of the DAA such as free air travel and discounts on shopping , free parking etc . Personally , given the choice, I’d prefer to stroll around a nice warm terminal looking for pickpockets than to stand outside a refugee centre in the pissing rain for 12 hours listening to abuse being hurled at me . I know a couple of people in both organisations. The guards treat their staff like **** a lot of the time . The airport police is a very handy number. Loads of people leave the guards , hardly anyone leaves the airport police hence the rarity of a recruitment campaign. I was told by someone in there that the last internal campaign was around 2016 and the last open recruitment was 2009 . You are correct about the nepotism in the airport but as you know it exists everywhere in Ireland unchecked . It exists in the guards too . Not in terms of recruiting as it’s very easy to get in but in terms of postings , overtime or getting on good courses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

That is incorrect. You have to go through two years of probation before you can apply for your increments from having an external degree. It also does not matter your level of degree whether it is a bachelors degree or masters degree,you will jump 3 points on the increment scale equating to approx 10k.

Advertisement