Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic train trips that you would recommend

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Munich to Venice via Brenner Pass is amazing. Takes about 6 hours. Last hour into Venice is flat apart from that incredible mountain views all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Munich to Venice by a direct train through the Brenner is stunning alright, especially the Innsbruck-Brenner section.

Far more scenic would be to leave Munich at 08.16, change in Villach, Jesenice and Nova Gorica and you'll arrive in Venice around 20.00. Incredible journey all round. The Austrian train should have a reataurant car. If you're in First Class then there's waiter service to your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Nova Gorica would involve a taxi to Gorizia Centrale. You can walk also, its about 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Caledonian Sleeper from London to Fort William, combine it with Carlisle to Skipton on the Settle-Carlisle line as part of the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bus was €1 or €1.50 last time I took it. Goes directly from one station to the other. A slight inconvenience for a great journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/series/rail-journey-of-the-month

Guardian have been running a "Rail journey of the month" series of articles for the last two years. All European so far as I remember. Makes interesting reading and a pleasent way to day-dream away a few spare hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We did the Coastal Pacific and Transalpine in New Zealand last week. I think the Transalpine was the more spectacular. My first time in New Zealand. Amazing place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Always good to check the weather though. When I was on an Interrail back in the day I thought that it would be nice to travel from Austria to Switzerland through Innsbruck. This was in the autumn, when fog is not unknown in Ireland and apparently there also as when I arrived in Innsbruck I could scarcely see the platform, never mind the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed it and hope the flights were too gruelling.

Have you stated saving for the return trip to experience The Northern Explorer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Flights weren’t too bad at all- travelling to San Francisco today for a few days before heading home. Northern Explorer on our next trip I hope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement