Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic train trips that you would recommend

Options
  • 23-02-2024 11:28am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I was listening to a sleep story last night about the Orient Express and it got me thinking (yes instead of getting me to sleep). I enjoy travelling by train and would love to do an iconic/scenic train journey in Europe or UK. FYI, I cannot afford the Orient Express 😂

I know I can google a few lists and will get tons of articles and travel influencers etc. but I'm looking for real world recommendations as well. Have you been on any scenic train trips that you would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

There is a TV programme on one of the cable channels called "Great British Railway Journeys", presented by Michael Portillo. If you can find it online or on your TV, there are lots of good episodes and should give you some ideas. Even though its called Great British railway journeys, he goes all over Europe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I did Zurich to Munich before, was lovely. 4 hours or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Oslo to Bergen in Norway has some spectacular scenery. Takes about 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

The Orient Express is in my bucket list - maybe when I have a lotto win! We've booked the Transalpine in the south Island of New Zealand in April and also the Coastal Pacific in NZ also. I believe they're amazing. Can hardly wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I would definitely recommend the West Highland Railway in Scotland, did it a few years ago in November, weather was dry, clear skies, was fantastic. Went the full way to Mallaig, next time i'll branch off to Oban. A few months ago i did Vienna-Ljubljana-Trieste as recommended here. Stopped for two nights in Ljubljana, lovely small city. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/jan/04/rail-route-of-the-month-alps-to-adriatic-vienna-ljubljana-trieste-austria-italy

This monthly Guardian feature is brilliant for rail trip ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This - we did the trip the other way, on the Flam railway - it's quite a touristy thing, but utterly spectacular (as is Bergen, so if you're there make time to enjoy it as well!)

Also, we took the train across the Scottish Highlands to get back from Oban to Glasgow or Edinburgh (can't remember now which it was) - it was just the regular Scotrail train, I'm sure there's other lines that are equally fabulous.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/inspiration-hub/great-places-to-visit/highlands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Le Train Jaune, France

Edinburgh - Inverness - Kyle of Lochlash

Glasgow - Mallaig

Zurich to Graz

Oslo to Stavanger

Bergen to Oslo

Tirano - St. Moritz - Zermatt

Milan - Sicily by sleeper

Nova Goricia - Jesenice (Slovenia)

Split - Zagreb

Ferrol - San Sebastian via the coast on the small gauge train (2 days)

Budapest - Prague - Berlin

Bratislava - Kosice

Sofia - Pleven

Anywhere in the Carpathians in Romania

Any of these below in the 'Grand Tour of Switzerland'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If you're taking Interrail then it's worth every extra cent to get a 1st Class ticket. Beats the crowds and a much better chance of getting a window seat.

Use Google Maps 'Terrain' feature to work out in advance which side of the train to sit on. Get a reservation where needed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ooh Norway is on my 'Would love to visit' list so I will have to keep note of this one for sure, thank you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've been on the Transalpine in NZ from Christchurch, it was absolutely stunning! In fact all of the South Island of NZ is pretty spectacular, I'm jealous 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭myfreespirit

The mountain rack railway to Val de Nuria in Catalonia is pretty spectacular and well worth a visit.

Also, the narrow gauge SNCF railway in the Chamonix valley, from Saint Gervais-les-Bains to Le Tour and then on into Switzerland is gorgeous.

If you're in Majorca, the journey from Soller to Palma de Marjorca which runs through the mountainous interior of the island shouldn't be missed.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got the train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch in Switzerland. Beautiful. Trains along the Côte d'Azur in the south of France are lovely too.

I lived in the Canadian Rockies for a time. The Rocky Mountaineer used to pass through the area. It's quite pricey but the views would be amazing.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

One that I'm interested in is the Bernina Express.

It's a 4-hour journey (140km) between Switzerland & Italy and goes through 55 tunnels and 196 bridges and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Trans Canadian was pretty amazing. Took it for 2 days from Vancouver to Winnipeg. Went through the Rockies the first day/night and then through plans that stretched on beyond anything I had ever seen. Got plenty of those nice bubble roof carriages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Coleraine to Derry would be easily achievable, along the North Coast, described by Palin as “one of the most beautiful rail journeys in the world”, journey lasts an hour.

Also pretty much anywhere in the Bernese Oberland is spectacular, the trip to the Jungfrau is iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How did I forget to mention that?!? I've dont that a few times and its gorgeous! (The West Highland Railway)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I did the Jacobite Steam Train from Fort William to Mallaig in Scotland and it was fantastic. It’s also known as the Hogwarts Express because it crossed the Glenfinnan Viaduct that was used in the Harry Potter films. The scenery is absolutely incredible and because it was a steam train and there was a lot of Harry Potter references, my kids had an absolute ball on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Nice to Rome to Naples.

Dublin to Wexford is fabulous, if anyone hasn’t done it. Way under exploited as a tourist revenue source, could run special first class carriage with morning coffee/afternoon tea etc.

The Cambrian Coast railway in Wales is lovely.

Many Scottish routes very scenic and interesting. Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh, West Highland as mentioned a few times above, Edinburgh to Inverness is very pleasant, Inverness to Thurso is a slow train that goes through a wilderness. Any line in Switzerland, Flåm in Norway in my bucket list.

The Queen of all scenic rail trips is through Western Canada, British Columbia & Alberta. A magnificent area.

Some shots from the Wexford train:

• Advertisement

Re Western Canada, we are talking about this type of scenery, though I did the trip by road, the train travels through these beautiful mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I hope to travel from Vienna to Graz to Maribor to Ljubljana to Trieste....stopping in each town for two nights on the way. Just putting the finishing touches to Trieste......did you stay overnight?

Norway is FABULOUS. I’ve done the Hurtigruten voyage several times, summer & winter. It used to be an extremely expensive country, but now that Ireland is so costly it’s beginning to look like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve done the Paris —> Nice trip a couple of times. First class too, it’s a recommend way to travel.

Get an upstairs window seat on one of the TGV Duplex trains…. for the best panoramic views…

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Direct flights to Bergen now as well with Widerøe airlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I took that flight last year. It was a lovely flight and Widerøe were great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As mentioned above, Wexford to Bray is one of the most beautiful rail journeys in Europe. Sadly a few estates in random places are taking from it over the last few years but it is still highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We took The Transalpine in 2005 and as @miamee said it is utterly amazing. And a few years back took The Costal Pacific from Christchurch, then the Interislander and overnighted in Wellington and finally The Northern Explorer to Auckland. The three train journeys are all very different and spectacular in their own way. I still root out the pictures and videos from time to time.

Take plenty of layers on the trips as you will probably want to spend time in the open sided Observation Cars, especially if you want to take pictures and videos, and you will be quite exposed to the elements; April can be cool and windy. And I'd suggest thinking about bringing your own food as the selection on the trains is limited, expensive and they are prone to running out.

Hoping to return for the summer and spend Christmas there again, sooner rather than later.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement