Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question for Muslims?

Options
  • 19-02-2024 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Was looking at X this evening and a very good question came up. So there are 49 predominantly Muslim countries in the world okay. So if you practice Islam and want to live under Sharia law why in gods name would you want to come to live in Ireland or any other Western Christian country for that matter when there's 49 countries that support your ideology and way of life, why come and live in one that doesn't?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

I think, and I am not a muslim so feel free to ignore, that should you be a muslim with only a moderate following of your faith (such as 99% of Irish Catholics) and you are homosexual or against the right wing tendencies of your church or indeed one of a million different reasons then moving to another country that does not put the death penalty on your beliefs makes perfect sense.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe because Muslims can freely practice any religion in Ireland, while also getting to live in a peaceful, rich country with far more opportunities? Pretty obvious to me really.

I would imagine most Muslims aren't hardcore either. One Dutch/Moroccan friend of mine drinks and parties and acts like we do but still has some kind of Muslim faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

The same reason why Irish Christians go live in predominantly Muslim countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Okay fair enough but nearly every Christian I know doesn't practice yet every Muslim I've ever met tells me they go to the mosque every Friday, doesn't drink or eat pork, does Ramadan and reads the quran. Yet 90% of Irish people I know doesn't go to mass on Sunday, read or the bible or partake in Lent.

That doesn't make sense any sense to me if you're gay why would you practice a religion that clearly hates you. Is it even possible to be a gay Muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

My guess is the majority that come here would be moderate to maybe liberal, it’s some of the second generation that then get a bit radicalised.

• Advertisement

So read this a Tunisian iman living in France thinks is against the Tricolour. If he hates living in a non Muslim country so much why doesn't he just return to Tunisia where he'll never have to look at a Tricolour. https://twitter.com/RadioGenoa/status/1759224563198534001?t=6aJ_vqsuz7ePBasdkHLCxg&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Even moderate Muslim countries like the UAE are a lot more strict than Ireland…. In terms of freedoms we can do pretty much everything and anything here… so the appeal is natural I’d guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Something similar to Irish going to Britain to work and then donating to certain cultural organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

One bloke out of the probably millions of Muslims in France. Not quite sure what you want out this thread apart from getting your point across that they should f*ck off home.

Is your friend your aware that drinking alcohol is punishable by 40 lashes under Sharia law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep haha. I’m pretty sure he knew there’d be a tricolor there, before he got there…. Just stirring the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They simply don't mind the concept of separation of church and state. There's a myriad of reasons beyond that too I imagine. Feel like your mind will be blown that there are in fact LGBT Muslims as well. Plenty of people simply have a different attitudes to the strictness of religious practices etc and others end up with their own interpretation of their faith. Irish Catholics should be well aware of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,883 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Was looking at X this evening and a very good question came up."

It makes no sense to me that someone would follow a religion that wants them executed. If I was gay there's not a hope in hell I'd still follow Islam and call myself a Muslim.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Perhaps you need to get out a bit then and broaden your mind! You seem to think religion and sexual orientation dominates everyone’s life….. The simple answer is it doesn’t, people move to other countries for all sorts of reasons - family, opportunities, work, education and so on…. Things for some reason you can’t comprehend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Can we have a proper, mature, constructive discussion about this topic or will I just close it up now?

@mikeybhoy @Thelonious Monk looking in your direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,095 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So if you practice Islam and want to live under Sharia law why in gods name would you want to come to live in Ireland or any other Western Christian country

They don't - they tend to stay where they are. The ones who move to the west tend to be more relaxed about their religion, while still retaining their faith.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Islamists want to conquer, not coexist. Spreading Islam/conquering territory is part of their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

never mind

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

For a while canon law seemed predominant in Ireland, there must have been an exodus to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

A person can want to enjoy all the things Ireland offers and still practice their religion.

Lots of Catholics did this back when the church here was very dominant.

I.will be honest and say that I would like to see people, regardless of religion, integrate themselves when they arrive here. I don't mean change religion, just accept that you're in a different country now with different ways and fit in and accept that.

The idea of little versions of other countries springing up around the place doesn't appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

You have very little control over what you believe. Aside from choosing what information streams to expose yourself to, you're basically not in the driving seat at all I'm afraid.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not ever Muslim wants to live under Sharia law.

they can easily follow their faith and live in a western society

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course it is. There are LGBT Catholics and there are LGBT Muslims.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As I said you really need to get out more and open your eyes.... you'll be surprised at all those religions buildings peppered around the country.

So in other words it's just like all the other religions out there, or have you never met an evangelist of any type???? I went to a very unusual school back in the 60s - A mixed secondary school run by the Presentation Sisters and the Reverend Mother there believed it was important that we studied all seven religions - a dam pity there were not more like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not every Muslim country is a strict Islamic country.

Not every Muslim is a strict Muslim.

You would think you might know that, given the way Catholics practise their religion in this country. Or are Muslims just so different to every other person in the world?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement