Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming expenses for attending work funeral

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

It kind of depends on the people and situation. Have experienced this myself. I was working remotely in a corner of the country but the company is near Dublin. A parent passed away very suddenly and my boss drove around a 6 hour round trip to shake my hand.

It wasn’t expected on my end and I said it to him both at the time and later. I thought really highly of it though. He had only been my boss for a few months but we knew each other a bit longer and we were both in the organisation a few years. We got on and continue to get on even though I’ve since moved roles.

Also received flowers from the company and multiple co-workers left a condolence on RIP with some others saying them in person at a later stage. Presume the flowers were expensed but wouldn’t be as sure on the mileage.

I am just about to buy a new home myself so appreciate tight budgets but to be frank, you might not be close enough to the person if claiming mileage is a factor between going or not. Others have pointed out some good ways of supporting from afar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As you say you are new to the company, so check with your boss before doing anything - it's 100 Euro plus your day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

We had a few down-the-country family bereavements at my last org. Nobody ever went in-person, but the manager would send a message to the team and a link to the deceased RIP.ie link for us to leave a note. It still shows you are thinking of them.

As a line manager, be ready to give them some leeway when they're back at work if you can and if they need it. Once you get guidance from HR regarding the travel part, you could consider calling her or sending a card to express condolences.

I remember being away with a colleague in Germany 20~ years ago when he was told that his mum died back home in Scotland. In that situation, the local HR manager flew over to represent the company at the funeral. I suspect sending someone is less likely to happen nowadays, especially as more people work some distance away from their home places etc.

Advertisement