Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to move seats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Kurooi

Good pair of noise cancelling headphones would do the trick. That type likes the drama, a little grudge or an argument. Don't engage and they will find themselves a new target and move on to "more interesting" people on their own.

Well, bit too late for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

Noise cancelling headphones, good ones pricey but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Obviously people think you should be allowed to do what you like in a professional office environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah sure, there's someone in my office who occasionally sings at their desk. I'm a good 20 feet way but I can still hear it. I think covid and lockdown broke some people. But yeah, headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP what is the outcome you actually want from this? You've asked to move desks & they've said no. While there might not be anyone sitting in them at the moment, if they're earmarked for other teams, then there could well be someone there in the future. Most offices try to keep teams together for ease. So I think you have to accept that a desk move isn't going to happen.

You told your boss & were allowed to wfh - this is not the boss saying you're the problem. If you were the problem, I wouldn't be having you wfh but would be keeping an eye. I would have thought offering you that was a nice thing to do considering they couldn't accommodate your desk move request.

As for the person gossiping or giving you stink eye - look you knew that she could take offence and she did. Course she's going to complain about that if she's feeling offended. Management can't give out to her for not liking you now just like they couldn't give out to you for saying no to her requests for friendship. They aren't there to get involved in the interpersonal relationships of the employees unless it's actually affecting work.

I don't understand the last point in your OP about how they knew she was like this before they hired you. Did you expect them to give you some kind of heads up that someone else (who was new enough themselves per your other post) was a bit over friendly at times? They may not have fully seen this. And would have thought a grown adult could just say no. A manager being sympathetic is not the same as a guarantee they'll bend to whatever you want.

Look we've all worked beside people we didn't like for varying reasons. Get some headphones, stick them in (even with nothing on) & get on with your work. Ignore this person & their former manager etc. Nothing to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If the behaviour isn't bullying or harrassment or in breach of another policy then not much you can do

if it is, then make a complaint. Tbh the other person may think the same about you (not saying you are) depending how interactions have been - Everyone has a different lens of perspective.

Advertisement