Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More average speed cameras coming soon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So if speeding on motorways is common, speeding doesn't lead to higher accident rates. Your claim is wrong, by the way.

Inattention is the leading cause of accidents, by a huge margin.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think some James Bond style number plate blockers for passing the cameras will be needed!

Already looked into that. The answer seems to be E-ink number plates. We will have to wait for the Chinese to make ones you can configure on the fly as the other ones look to be more or less fixed.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah that article is from 2004, can we get some more recent data?

I do agree that inattention is a major problem, and is getting worse. Unfortunately there isn't a roadside camera which can accurately detect someone not looking at the road, so can't really enforce that

This is partly why new cars are being fitted with assistants to prevent lane departure, collision avoidance and detect driver inattention. The regulators can't count on drivers paying as much attention to the road as they should

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Went through the port tunnel yesterday. Half way through i realized i was doing 100kmh. Slowed down to 50 for the rest of the way. People started overtaking me :)

• Advertisement

Don't really need more recent data, as it's a known fact for every country and it has always been universally the case. Here's probably the best you will get from the RSA:

Motorway Driving Every day in Ireland thousands of commuters are using our growing motorway network. All major cities in Ireland are now connected by motorway. Although motorways are statistically the safest way of moving large volumes of traffic, there are still risks to drivers who use them.

Germany has no speed restrictions on parts of it's motorway network, there are literally cars doing close to 300 kph. If speed on motorways was dangerous then you might expect them to have a high fatality rate on motorways, but the opposite is the case.

Ireland has single digit fatalities on motorways, speeding is not a problem and doesn't cause accidents, tryng to argue for anti speeding measures on motorways is completely pointles when 95% of accidents and fatalities are not on motorways.

Ireland will never address it's real problem, and it's not speeding, it's that rural roads are poor quality and way too narrow for the 21st century and trucks are just too big and are over the line into the oncoming lane most of the time, along with a lot of drivers who seem to straddle the centreline as a habit and cut corners. Then you have those in rural areas who believe it's their civic duty to slow down 'speeding' motorists, by pulling out of junctions in front of oncoming traffic and then accelerate slowly so as to take 1-2 km or more to reach the posted speed limit. I'd say double or tripple digits of such heroic speed enforcers have died on that hill.

I'll bet that most of the speed cameras will be on motorways to address that 5% non-problem.

I for one don't need artificial aids to make up for inattention. I have managed without them just fine for more than 40 years of attentive motoring. Such aids will make already lazy drivers even worse, I suspect.

Want to see a video of a 170Kg American wearing an Apple Vision pro while relying on his Tesla cybertrucks non-FSD to drive while he plays with his new headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ah. The pithy thought-terminator.

The reality is, nobody setting CC at 120 has to worry about average speed cameras. Therefore, those most likely to be fined are those without cruise control. Ergo - tax on not having cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

What about those who have cruise control but like to speed?

A tax on those who speed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any increase in speed will make the outcome of any collision worse. Whilst motorways are safer for travelling at higher speeds, they are so because they're designed for it (segregated from oncoming traffic, no obstacles or street furniture or parked vehicles, no pedestrians, animals, cyclists, etc.).

That said, the post you replied to also referred to major N roads which would not be designed for the same kind of driving speeds as on a motorway.

I would however, correct you on your use of the word accident. They very rarely are accidents but are the result of a decision made by the driver. They may not have been intentional but that doesn't make it a mistake!

Ireland will never address it's real problem, and it's not speeding, it's that rural roads are poor quality and way too narrow for the 21st century and trucks are just too big and are over the line into the oncoming lane most of the time, along with a lot of drivers who seem to straddle the centreline as a habit and cut corners. Then you have those in rural areas who believe it's their civic duty to slow down 'speeding' motorists, by pulling out of junctions in front of oncoming traffic and then accelerate slowly so as to take 1-2 km or more to reach the posted speed limit. I'd say double or tripple digits of such heroic speed enforcers have died on that hill.

Roads do not cause collisions, drivers do! People are meant to drive at a safe speed in which they can react. Also your claim that the width of rural roads is partly responsible is rubbish. People are making the choice to buy a big fat car can't suddenly expect that the road doesn't automatically widen to suit their purchase. Our roads are not a cause - people's stupid expectations are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ireland's rural roads are totally fit for purpose of driving at a certain speed. The problem is that those speed limits are too high, and even with those high limits speeding still occurs and is a factor in those collisions.

Now if only there was a way to deter speeding on those problem stretches of rural roads....

• Advertisement
Advertisement