Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More average speed cameras coming soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd actually like to see them in urban towns instead of those headwrecking speedbumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

its a joke, i counted 13 ppl on the m50 the other day on phones in the space of 10 mins without trying, driving cars, trucks, coaches with ppl on board. its amazing what you see on a motorbike. and the smell of ppl smoking blow in the city traffic and on the m50 is worse than ever. ph usage is off the charts and hasnt been addressed. the RSA is a clown shop imo, handy job for whoever needs a leg up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

This is good news, but what we really need is ANPR cameras at traffic lights. It would speed up traffic loads if people knew they would get done for breaking lights every time they did it, then we would not need the standard 4/5 second gap between one set going red and the others going green, which is currently in place to account for the few cars that are going to continue through red lights just after they have turned.

Still it is positive, if people know they will get nabbed for speeding they will stop speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d have no problem with average speed cameras if they adopted the same tolerances as the UK, 10% + 2mph.

So if the speed limit is 120kph you can do about 135kph with no consequence, and when you take into account that speedometers over read by about 5% you can do about 140kph on the speedometer and get away with it😃

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst speedos cannot under-state the speed, they don't always over-read or if they do, it may not be by much. To claim that you can get away with doing 140km/h on the speedo is misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

UK automated speed cameras, whether average or standard, do not have those tolerances where they are installed and operated by local or road authorities. The tolerance was an ACPO recommendation which applied to police enforcement.

All speedos are required to over read afaik? Obviously you need to have a GPS open such as Google Maps or Waze to verify actual GPS speed

Interesting, any time I’m in the UK people around me are always speeding in average speed camera zones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Great news, maybe it'll stop people treating the motorways as their own personal raceway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What's so bad with staying under the signed speed limit? Speeding does not get you there much faster.

A system with the tolerances you set out there defeats the purpose of monitoring compliance to speed restrictions.

• Advertisement

There'll always be some margin due to measurement errors. The 10%+2 rule isn't a rule first off, more of a rumour. It's there to account for any errors when measuring the speed of the target car, so that the police can minimise the risk of a legal challenge to the speeding offence

For the average speed cameras there'll still be some margin but it could be smaller given they're just measuring time

How much margin is debatable, but one way to get an idea would be to look up the speeding fines for the port tunnel and whatever the lowest one is probably close to the slowest speed they're giving fines for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That's why modern cars have cruise control. I'm on the birdhill stretch regularly and set it at 119kmh without issue

I have no reason to go any slower than the signed speed limit, I usually set the cruise control to 130kph which gives me a GPS speed of 122kph. Not exactly speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You can really see how the inhabitants of the motors forum have turned into their parents in threads like this where they're all campaigning for more enforcement now

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Quite the compliment but it's true, in life most of us do learn some sense along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GPoint

He particularly instanced Junction 13 on the M18 in Co Clare where he said a number of fatal crashes had taken place. He said the problem seemed to be because the junction was designed at a time when the road was a national road, with speed limit of 100km/h. The road had since been redesignated as a motorway, but he said there was “almost a 90 degree exit” from the motorway.

It was he said, one of a handful of “awful junctions” on the motorway network. Mr Crowe said the Athlone bypass was another example of a place where poor junctions were in place, and this appeared to have been addressed by having a lower speed limit.

He asked Mr Walsh to consider, as an interim measure, if the speed limit could be reduced around such junctions”.

So, instead of fixing road layoout and building proper exits, they will invest in speed cameras and start penalising people instead of fixing bad design of the roads.

OK, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Near me there is a mental piece of typical Irish road engineering stupidity. An R road has a long straight bit before it joins a former N road, so cars have been in constant motion at 80 kph since they first took it several km back.

Just before the ex N road is a bridge over a stream, which had stone walls to the sides. These walls had stones start falling off them and they repaired them a couple of times. Then the imbeciels in the penny pinching council decided that instead of rebuilding or fixing the bridge properly, they would just add huge concrete ramparts on either side, like overdone kerbs, making a two lane road one lane.

As if that wasn't bad anough, the idiots put a give way sign so as to stop the traffic which had been travelling at 80 kph for many km, the last bit a straight, instead of stopping the traffic that had just turned off the N road and had only just started accelerating.

I thought this idiocy was guaranteed to cause a head-on accident, and sure enough one time I came via the ex N road looking to turn off, but there was a diversion due to a head-on. Given how infrequently I use that road, I'd say it's an absolute certainty that wasn't the only head-on the council caused with their stupidity which likely happened when I wasn't around to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Once upon a time motors forum wasn't full of cyclists and other anti car people.

It was full of enthusiasts.

But today unless you're on a bike or ev, it's not cool.

Is it necessary to speed to be a car enthusiast?

But I agree, bikes and EVs are way cooler 😉

Interesting anecdote, earlier I was driving at 100km/h indicated and the GPS on the dashcam was saying 102, then 65 and then 7

So you can't always 100% rely on the GPS speed

• Advertisement

If you use a GPS app like Waze or Google Maps it will always be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know about this one. Yes it's not bad and it makes sense and after all it's only enforcing the law and road safety blabla. On the other hand I detest this tendency to over-control more and more aspects of civil life with technology. I mean where does it stop? Maybe I'm overdramatising but with the same argument you could demand seatbelt sensors directly connected to the pulse system or introduce mandatory weekly drug tests for everyone. And so on and so on. And it will all make sense and whats the harm. Until we're all good little worker bees never stepping out of line...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Sounds like a tax on not having cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Sounds like a tax on drivers breaking the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BornSkippy

As someone who doesn't speed on the Motorway, I don't really see it as a priority for enforcement.

The dangerous driving I see regularly concerns deliberate light breaking, tailgating, aggressive swerving into other's paths for petty advantage and zoned out mobile phone use.

People passing me on the motorway at 140 km/h or even 160 don't really bother me, as long as they don't tailgate me when I'm passing a truck. I'm happy to see them pass on ahead and leave me in peace.

As mentioned above, I'd rather see these cameras at junctions and in urban areas to enforce safe driving there.

I would agree that there is a major problem with bad driving in general, but if you look at accidents that result in a fatality they're often on major N roads and motorways, and often due to speeding

It's pretty simple math, the faster you're travelling the shorter your reaction times and the more kinetic energy you have in an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I generally do 128 (indicated) on the motorway, at that speed folks are passing me and I'm passing folks. Average speed cameras are a ridiculous idea and will encourage people to take non camera roads

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...which will take them much longer to travel so I'd dispute that suggestion.

Advertisement