Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a sense of humour here ?

Options
  • 15-02-2024 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I don't think boards is for me, I'm new to all this, just don't know where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't have a sense of humor but some other people here do. Usually you find them injecting comments into threads like 'Most welfare recipients are scamming the system for personal gain' just to get a rise out of their fellow boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whiteivy

Oh God, I'm going crazy now,

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I got on Boards hoping to chat to others, but the first question I answered was from 2017 !

I'm all over the place, and I'm not drunk, lI don't drink alcohol, I'm from the curragh area, just bored. And not very good with technology.

Thanks and absolutely no offence meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭thegame983

There are a lot of c#unts on boards.

• Advertisement

Alright here's a joke,

All I wanted was to be part of a chat group, to have a laugh, a chat, not easy it seems,

Not looking looking for sympathy, but over the last three years, I've lost my partner of sixteen years, I've had a major heart attack, I could go on but I won't, . So I decided maybe I'll sign in to boards, bound to be nice people there, ! I know not all are the same, so No offence to those people. Now I'm going to delete my account, because I can't take the backlash. THAT'S THE JOKE.

Thanks .

I was going to delete my account but have decided not to, just to see if there are any friendly people here. Or if by any chance I might have got things wrong. Thank you for replying.

So you're a mind reader, :)

No, Hi Stranger, Welcome to Boards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think you need to take a step back and understand what Boards is and what you expect from it.

There are various forums for discussing different topics. In general, people frequent a few forums and leave it at that. The Kildare forum is for discussing Kildare stuff. If you're out to make new friends, then Boards isn't like Facebook. That said, I'm met several boardsies in real life and they're decent people. I take it for granted that I haven't yet met all the nice people on here!

A thread stating that you're a bit lost has the potential to encourage a bit of a slagging but that's all it is. Bear in mind that there are folk out there who have such shallow meaningless lives that they will deliberatley create a new account simply to post something daft (and I'm not saying yours falls into this category). One a few days ago had the title "SKABABABBADIBIDIDY DAOOAOBBBAOOBO" and the content "I’M A SCATMAN!" - some eejit went to all the effort of registering simply to post that crap. So you can understand when people take a new poster's vague thread with an element of suspicion and mirth.

Anyhow, I'd not delete the account simply on that basis. For me boards has been a valuable avenue for the last 20 years (ok - I need a life 🤣). I don't like Facebook or Twitter - I enjoy the discussion and banter on here with other folk in topics that I like. You should to look around boards for subjects that you like.

Condolonces on your partner. That's a void that Boards will never fill. As for the major heart attack - been there done that so I know how that changes your life: but for me it changed it for the better.

As a starting point, here are some forums that might be of help:

Personal Issues - discuss how you feel regarding losing your partner

Long Term Illness - discuss your cardiac issues

Rock & Metal - I'm guessing this one and that you're a massive thrash metal fan

Lastly, remember that this place is anonymous - while you can ask for advice, don't tell people who you are - they don't need to know! Also remember that it's available to everyone who registers - experts and idiots - so anyone who replies to your post will be somewhere between one & the other!

Thank you so much for your reply,

I guess I'm inclined to talk first and think later. :)

You have been a great help to me honestly,

I will indeed stay now, and look up the forums you suggested, I have no interest in Facebook or twitter or should I say X. Whatever they call it now. Thank you on your condolences, Heart attack scared the life of me, ( stupid statement) seeing as I'm still alive, ! Glad you're doing well, it's a wake up call isn't it. I now think I was over thinking things , I'm no expert or idiot I hope :) , but am pretty good at slagging, and like a laugh 😂.

Again Thank you so much.

All the best.

• Advertisement

I have got you an exposure, haven't I? And you have got your welcome from the kind, caring Seth Brundle. But if you still harbor any hard feelings, you can either write about in After Hours, or leave the forum altogether.

Wow, who got out out on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I am truly sorry, Honestly. I have no interest in TikTok, Facebook, twitter or any of these. And no I won't be leaving either or having anything to do with after hours. Please calm down, I was having a very bad day, Sorry again.

My bark is worse than my bite. :)

To be honest, if a post rubs you the wrong way then just ignore it.

There is a feature to report a post under the flag button (lower right of each post) but in this case I'd say just don't engage.

Thank you , but I'm afraid it's too late, I did reply.

Now waiting on a death threat !

Ah well, takes all sorts. But thank you. I'll remember that, and also your kindness.

If I'm murdered, my email is here, so you know who done it. Thanks :)

Thank you for helping me out.

If I get a reply from them, this time I won't reply.

Thanks again.

Now waiting on a death threat !

That's the spirit 😂

I can't believe you are a newbie. You are as big a drama queen as some long term posters here. Death threats? Pshh, please, you display absolutely no significance to deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Check out if there are discussion groups for whatever interests/hobbies you might have even if only to check new TV programs. Once you see something suitable check the flag at right hand top of first page of posts to 'follow' that topic. Then when you log in again you will see any new posts to that group listed in the 'notification' symbol ... top right hands side of main page see bell sign and maybe a number highlighted in red which shows how many posts you have to read that have been posted since you last logged on.

Welcome by the way....😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yes, except in the Tennis forum

• Advertisement

Thank you so much, that's very kind and helpful,especially as I haven't a clue. :)

I'm interested in art, just a hobby, Thank you again. And I appreciate your help, also thank you for the welcome :) nice to be here. I'll eventually get the hang of it, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

You will see a category Arts and a then a sub category under that for "Arts and Crafts". It is more of a hobby section and covers crochet to art supply shops so somewhere to browse. If you like a particular post you can send a 'thanks' by clicking an option at bottom of that post without having to write a reply. The TV section breaks down into subforums also you can keep up with Netflix or other streaming services as well as regular TV.

Thanks for that, I'm going to have a look now,

Nice to have people who are kind enough to help. Thank you so much. :) can't find emojis !

Enjoy your day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If you don't want/need on going circular arguments stay away from the politics/current affairs thread. If you feel you are able for such things go ahead. It was populated by a lot of zealots (no grey just black and white) , but a lot have been banned. There is a large obsession with all things American on that poltics/current affairs thread. Not in a good way. Definitely no craic. There is poltical memes thread with cartoons I suppose. But few would have you actually laughing

There are people who seem to think they are great craic in the radio forum, but unfortunately their type of craic is mostly constantly denigrating, demeaning and dismantling presenters/callers to programmes. Very cliquey in nature.

Most of the sports forums are not much fun, the localised GAA threads prefer to be kept local outsiders are not really welcome, and the national ones particularly soccer (where you have to have to ask for access) particularly the ROI thread are ruled with an iron fist. So not much craic there either.

If you ventured into the vegan thread/christian thread/agnostic thread/EV thread etc you will be met with zealots zero craic there.Probably a minus craic number if I am honest.

Unless you wanted to view the way those communities think. Basically any thread that is based on a crusade or cause, or lifestyle avoid those.

There is a humour forum - with memes/cartoons and one liners. It is alright to dip into now and again.

But oddly some of the funniest stuff on this site in my view is "the trivial things that annoy you thread" and "the trivial things that make you happy thread". However annoyingly the thread titles do not spell trivially correctly. As I assume this is mean to indicate great craic and light heartedness.

It is in the "after hours" forum where the moderation is more free and loose than many of the tightly controlled threads. As long as it does not venture into the political/current affairs realm. I think this is your best bet for some form of amusement. Either to amuse yourself about things that annoy you or annoy others - or see things that make you smile and cheer others up.

As I said it is hard to search for due the titles so I will post them here -

The Trivial things that annoy you thread -

The Trivial things that make you happy thread -

The fact I am amused by both probably says more about me, but there is some funny ones in both of those threads. More observational humour if anything else.

There are also threads like bad parking threads which show photos, they could also amuse or annoy you depending on your personality.

There was a youtube video thread of videos you keep going back to, however due to the poor search function of this site, almost impossible to find.

I suppose from a Kildare point of view the nearest thing I can think of when discussing humour is the following -

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Oh Thank you, Christy Moore is a howl , good laugh 😂, thank you so much for your help, I'm so glad I didn't delete my account now. I've had lots of replies and all so helpful and all very nice people. One thing (well two actually) that I won't get involved in are politics & religion. Thanks again, can't wait to look these up. You're one in a million, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If you actually want the friendliest corner of boards, come play stupid games in forum games 😉

It died a bit of a death after boards changed it interface a couple of years ago but it's reawakening...

It may not be obvious what's going on but I guarantee you a welcoming response if you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaysus - are they worse than the Chess lot?

@OP - I'm a bundle of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

well the usually best place to start is at the beginning

• Advertisement
Advertisement