Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gen X Is The Best Generation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Peter the Hermit must have got loads of likes tweeting about Aristotle and Socrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thereiver

I'd prefer people to be oversensitive than to be sexist or racist .every generation has rude ignorant people violent people and criminals .I think previous generations had it easier to some degree eg lower average rents lower house prices .a lot of company's

are laying people off even tech company's that are making billions in profits .Ai could potentially replace millions of jobs , eg one person using ai prompts can make a short video Ad or video game trailer .voice over actors can be replaced by ai programs

AI is booming partly because company's expect it could replace the work being presently done by many office workers

.there has also been gay people in every generation it's just that now they can be more open about it without being bullied .women are free to play Gaa football or other sports but they probably won't get the same support I'm terms of tickets sold from the public .

Gen Z will be left to deal with the effects of climate change when boomers and Gen x are retired

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Gen X is more conservative not the racist homophobic type of conservative, social liberal but supports marriage, community that sort of thing.

That is according to those who follow social media trends.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Musk renamed Twitter after this generation, surely that is a good enough reason not to be the "best"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Why do you ignore responses to your comments?

Overly sensitive is one thing but shouting down people with differing view and not listening is a problem. The reality is people with well thought out reasoning becomes sound bites and any idiot can repeat them and not understand what is being said because they aren't listening. It is just a different form of bigotry and ignorance.

The older GenZ are 27 and youngest 12. That is a lot of people without any political power or responsibility. House prices now are only catching up with Celtic Tiger year so we didn't have cheaper house prices nor rent. There was also stamp duty on those houses making them more expensive. Gen X lived through recessions more than the generation before.

I can accept your ignorance because you weren't about but you could read more information on the subjects you re talking about rather than make statements with a lack of knowledge.

We were about when computers made many a job obsolete and AI will do similar but we ended up doing more work with better tools. AI is just another tool.

People are and were openly gay my entire life. Women were allowed play GAA all my life too.

Every generation deals with the good and bad results of the generation before. So climate change and improved rights come hand in hand.

Leo Varadkar and openly gay half Indian man was made Taoiseach when the oldest GenZ was 20 and gay marriage game in when GenZ's eldest were 18. You guys didn't have the political power to do those things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s a cohort of men born between say 1975 and 1985 who grew up without the internet, but who were probably early adopters. It seems to have impacted some of them very badly. Angry, belligerent, jealous, mean spirited, reactionary sorts.

They seem to spend an inordinate amount of their time online giving out about women, immigrants, wokeness, the government, modern music, people on the radio, people on the television, societal change.

They aren’t even what you’d term as conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The most important thing: What comes AFTER Gen Z? We start with "A" again?

That is such a weird view. It seems like much younger people are the issue with abuse on the net. Most people in the age group you are talking about are much more likely to be at work with families and not have the time.

Online bullying peers is much more of a problem and often perpetrates by females from studies I see.

Empty vessels make the loudest noise but it doesn't make them the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Definitely not suggesting that everyone born during that time range is like that. There’s lot of lads who are working away, raising a family, taking up cycling, looking for the best price for Rogaine, looking forward to the Pearl Jam gig, listening to the Rest is History, and generally moving through life.

There’s a small cohort of men from that era who appear to have been destroyed by the internet though. You see a load of them on twitter. Boring middle-aged men with anger issues who appear to have problems with everyone who isn’t exactly like them. Pathetic beta sorts. The most tragic generation we’ve seen. None of the stoicism of the earlier generations and none of the enthusiasm and optimism of the newer generations.

• Advertisement

I think you are seeing things. I see a lot more misandry. The fact you use a term like "beta" suggests you are buying into extremely sexist and made up beliefs. There has always been angry people and when being by virtue of your age and sex you are called names and insulted regularly it will make people angrier.

Not uncommon for modern women to say they don't need men and nobody bats an eyelid. Do you not see how sexist that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thereiver

The world is better in regard we have access to the web apps YouTube streaming TV almost anyone can afford to buy a laptop or a smartphone the next gen is gen A. People under the age of 17

Gen are facing a housing crisis and having to pay extremely high rents

I think the world is a more dangerous place with the rise of right wing politicians Putin could win the war in Ukraine because American politicians won't pass a bill in Congress to send aid to Ukraine Iran is supplying advanced drones and missiles to any proxy group that wants to attack Israel or ships going through the red sea

We were able to get information before the web and had many ways to get it. Just a bit slower and harder to do.

Housing is cheaper than it was during the Celtic Tiger days as is rent. The prices are just catching up but that is ignoring inflation and the reduced government charges

What you think doesn't make it so. There was a genuine fear of nuclear war and there were a few terrorist around. Max you were was 1 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed. So depending where you lived in Ireland it was pretty dangerous

The Middle East has had a lot of ongoing issues way before I was born but I remember where the Taliban were allies even helping out James Bond in the movies.

Your problem is that you don't have any memory reference to say things are "more dangerous"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

In theory we all have miniature Libraries of Alexandria in our pocket, in reality we have the only porta potty at Glastonbury that's starting to back up.

Advertisement