Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gen X Is The Best Generation

Options
  • 15-02-2024 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Lets Go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Site is crawling with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep, proud Gen Xer here (born in 1975). 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

That's because lots of people were born between 1964 and 1980.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'd reckon the average boards user was born during the early to mid-1980s, so older Millenial category - and hitting their 40s now.

But yes, Gen X are indeed cool.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No generation is better but wildly different challenges

The speed of social change now is incredibly fast now so I feel sorry for the younger generation. They are afraid of so much and they have so much info out there to be pulled up when they get older

I genuinely had a fear of quicksand and the Bermuda Triangle as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭thereiver

I feel sorry for Gen z facing climate change ,housing crisis , inflation ,paying high rents ,mediocre Public services lack of doctors .older generations had it easier in general .there's no such thing as a cool generation .every generation has its own music and favourite movies books Gen z is the first native internet generation eg they grew up using apps streaming music YouTube when I was a teen there was no internet or smartphones

Gen.z are too young to be in power or control political movements

Also their feelings are hurt too easily to be in power or control political movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Baba Yaga

jeez,ye are making me feel old... '59 vintage...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement

They spawned into the game on easy mode.

Gen z are just more aware of the rights of LGBT groups and not as sexist or racist as previous generations in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well they say they are and want everyone to know how aware they are, usually via "look at me" nonsense on "social" media. Should be re-named Generation Zzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Anyone who refers to themselves or others by generational names like boomers, gen z etc is a moron and easily influenced by American culture where all that crap started.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bacon?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bacon?

Just ain't cool being straight no more. At this rate, we'll all be LGBTQ+ in not time.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭foxsake

totally agree , its horseshit

that said the 1990 was the best time to be a teen and 2000 the best time to be 20

great times

Spoken from a point of view where you weren't about. The rights were fought by Gen X for the situation to get where it is now. I actually find a lot of Gen Z are quite intolerant of differing views and presume they are 100% correct without any discussion. Gen X challenged existing views where Gen Z seem to just shout down differing views.

Gen z simply means you are a young person now ,it's like shorthand for old person ,middle aged person , person who. Is over 60 .it's not a negative naming system .each generation has its own cultural outlook ,way of dressing .older generations are usually better off as they probably own property or maybe live in council social housing .most gen z are living at home or else renting .boomer is short for baby boomer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never used the term Gen X, Y, Z Boomers Karen's in a sentence, until today. They are terms not fully scorched into my vocab so when I see them here I have to google them to remind myself what exactly they mean. I think my brain is rejecting them like an implant.

If you asked me where they originate from I'd say they come from the Left, the same Left who say you shouldn't 'other' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whiteivy

You're like a fine wine, the older the better. 😊.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

If you want to avoid using Gen z you can simply say young people teens .people who are not middle aged .Gen z grew up using the web ,and social media meeting people on line using YouTube or other video streaming apps they tend to be more liberal or left wing than older generations

It's not just a label .it has effects on politics eg if Biden does not get alot of votes from Gen z. Trump will get elected and the world will become a more dangerous place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Peter The Hermit (Really? :) ) 1274:

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint ... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."

Aristotle:

They (Young people) have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else

Socrates (OK, he sounds like a tw4t - Despite hanging out with Bill & Ted):

The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.

Plato:

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the laws. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

So yeah, you can go right back. I'm sure, if you go back far enough you'll find that caveman kids think their folks are intolerant and ruined their future. and cavemen think their kids are lazy, entitled and also intolerant.

You have a bit of a delusion view of importance of Gen z. Gen X made the internet and apps to dumb down the complexity for consumers. Liberal views are certainly not the preserve of youth. Some of the "positives" of GenZ is removing and belittling of hard won rights by women and equality.

It appear that GenZ are actually more sexist now as they view woman as capable of everything and men restricting them and/or not as capable. We have lots of false flag claims about now. Look at the Lidl ad supporting female Gaelic sports. They want the public to join the fight for inequality in sport. It completely ignores the reality of what the men did for decades to get where they are now but now the women's teams want the exact same with a few years of effort. That is not equality and it isn't a fight it just support the teams

American politics has little too do with the discussion here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Everyone always forgets about us Xennials though personally, as a cynical barsteward, I've always felt I lean more towards Gen X than Millennials.

Gen Z no doubt learned their lack of tolerance for homophobia, sexism or racism from their Gen X parents but I'd agree with @Ray Palmer that they've been so conditioned that way that they can often be seen to be jumping at shadows and seeing red flags where no real malice exists. Being "on message" can often be more important to them than being right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This prick didn't help matters.

As for the quicksand, I think it was all the 1930's tarzan movies that were played on Sunday afternoons on RTE. Every single one someone dies in quicksand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think any guy out there is getting rogered because he thought it'd be cool.

There's a few guys I went to school with who are gay. None of them were gay in school in the 80's and 90's. They've come out since. And I'd say there are probably a few others who are still in the closet. It's like the way there's more left handed people since we stopped beating the **** out of kids who are left handed.

So I'm ok with a large number being LGBT. It's far far better than the world I grew up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Advertisement