Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorists patients

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Yes, I should have said that. As you both said, it's better to have them in front of you. I was trying to say that it's not always a great idea to try to facilitate an overtake by moving left in the lane. But you're right - the best thing to do is to pull over completely and let them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Good replies here, thank you and ride safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The word is "patience" not "patients".

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

That was flagged earlier, "your" too late lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you haven't passed an IBT never mind a bike test then kindly STFU.

Life ain't always empty.

I had a bad incident in the late 90s, I was on a GS500 (so well capable of keeping up with traffic on any road) coming back from a trip to a bike show in Belfast on the old N1. Not far south of the border there was a nasty S-bend, just before reaching it I was badly dazzled by an oncoming car (sunset was about an hour before). I literally could not see where I was going so I slowed down, the cnut who'd been tailgating me anyway took this as an opportunity to overtake and straightlined the S-bend, nearly ramming me off the road.

I was commanding my lane but a lot of advanced driving/riding theory assumes other drivers are rational actors, not psychos out to kill you to save a few seconds.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Moose1

Adding my two cents -
    If you are feeling intimidated by the cars behind, as others have suggested, pull over a little on a safe piece of road with good view and allow the cars to pass. You are riding to your ability and you do not need to be at the speed limit of the road but as we share the road with others it is a courteous move.

There are times to take the assertive line, commanding the road but as others have suggested this can irk a driver and make them make a more dangerous move.

The fact that you may have been constantly looking in mirror and getting more anxious (Nevermind starting a thread on the subject) can cause you to be more distracted at what is behind you rather than in front. You want to be able to concentrate on the road, ride to the conditions and your ability not have to be worried about what is behind you.

Most importantly enjoy the ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

I commute into work by car now not on my bike and I have noticed the amount of L or N bike riders literally can't drive, a danger to themselves and others. Weaving in and out of traffic without even checking their blindspots etc.

Is this because the IBT has become a money spinner and lads who can barely ride themselves are teaching these lads..

Standard of riding is definitely not what it was say 8 years ago even imo

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

UK motorcycle tuition videos, (there don't seem to be any Irish ones),on YouTube consistently recommend riding at an indicated 1-2 mph above the posted speed limit. This is to (theoretically) keep you travelling slightly faster than the maximum speed the following vehicle might be legally travelling at, while allowing for inaccuracies in your speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EU law requires your speedo to over read by between 2% and 10%. So if you are riding at an indicated 100km/h on an unmodified bike you will be doing between 90km/h and 98km/h.

As if someone who would tailgate a rider or otherwise drive dangerously, would balk at doing 33 in a 30! Touchingly naive.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Well that's what they say. They would be irresponsible if they advised people to ride illegally.

Advertisement