Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Wrighty 😭

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭squonk

Scott Mills doing Steve’s non stop hits hour now on BBC R2 but one song in foiled by dead air and a record not playing along with a shout out to the producer. It just shows what a pro Steve was.

I’d take Steve and Tony Blackburn’s style over most of the dross that passes for radio here. It might be my demographic in fairness but there is another thread in these parts on A252 with clips of the guys from there and it’s just great radio IMHO. The more of these characters are lost the more radio is just background noise. At a time when most people can bypass live radio in favour of podcasts and online music stations, it’s more important than ever to have these types of strong radio presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Stunned when I heard the news of Steve Wrights passing , BBC Radio 2 are planning specials over the weekend POTP , Pick of the Pops is still scheduled for this Saturday while Liza Tarbuck is to present a special tribute to Steve in what would have been his Sunday morning slot.

Steve Wright RIP

I was wondering if he had a few POTPs in the can for broadcast. Really I’d love a ‘best of’ show with some of his funny intros to songs from various years he’d done so far, although there aren’t many shows to choose from yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

We know Steve was found dead around 10.15am on Monday.

I assume the POTP repeat (1978) scheduled to air at 3am on Tuesday morning went out on R2, even though his death was not made public until 5pm that day?

• Advertisement

Some insights into Steve's final days and radio future from Gambo here on GB news:

'I was due to meet him tomorrow' | Emotional tribute paid to Steve Wright (youtube.com)

It doesn’t sound like he ever arrived at the point of thinking he was near retirement and started phoning it in. It’s also impressive how genuinely upset the Radio 2 crew were also. It sounds like he was very much liked there and was the positive person everyone who spoke about him has said.

Im not involved in radio but always had a feeling that, like any other career, it could be dog eat dog at times and maybe even more so given it was media. It just makes it even sadder.

Read this on the pop itch bailout just now.

Tributes to Steve Wright this week have been uniformly glowing, many making a point of the ease with which he conducted his big celebrity interviews. If you're curious to know how Steve managed to strike up such effortless repartee with the stars, we know his secret.

According to one loose-lipped contributor to the show, his technique was simple. Steve would simply slag off his previous guest in front of the current one, while flattering them to the hilt.

A system that worked perfectly – as guests didn't realise they too would be chucked under the bus shortly after leaving the studio.

One year, Children in Need wanted to do a live throw to Steve Wright's radio show. A request which resulted in Steve frantically having to round up staff to cram into his studio to whoop and applaud. All to maintain the illusion that the applause sound effect he played at the beginning of each show was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

7" vinyl copy from '93.

Last song he ever played alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

he was great no doubt about it. we listened to steve's shows very regular on the smart speaker we have, and others.

The bbc dj's and show formats are just heads above the likes of what we have here, their shows evenings over dinner and weekends pottering around the house. They are just better in every way, plus no annoying adds either.

RIP Steve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

She should do something different and replace Scott Mills (Steve's old slot) with some one more suitable. I know he is 50, though he still belongs at Radio 1, or Capital.

Scott has won me over. I was one of those deeply saddened by Steve’s show being pulled and was a bit biased towards Mills when he started but he’s won me over. He’s no Steve Wright for sure but he’s not doing a bad job IMHO.

Over tge past week they played a lot of Steve’s music in the afternoon slot and I did have to grudgingly admit that it was time to move on really. I’m the same age as Scott but I’d describe myself as having an older demographic taste in music than my age but it was time for a refresh. I didn’t see it at the time. I loved Steve’s show and was hoping it’d live again on the digital station but it’s sadly out of the question now.

Gary Davies doing POTP today with a tribute show. It’s funny POTP is a show I’d have thought they’d have done several at once so would have had shows in the can but it seems not. Then again it might be too painful to play out any Steve had prerecorded now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I read that Steve had one more show in the can. Not sure if it was POTP or lovesongs but apparently it will never be aired

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/16/steve-wrights-last-recorded-show-wont-aired-bbc-death-20293607/

Post edited by Red Fred on

I don't think Steve bulk pre-recorded his weekend shows, they were recorded during the week for broadcast that weekend

His BBC studio manager confirmed on a "Radio 1 memories" Facebook site that he was meant to be engineering tomorrows Sunday Love Songs on Thursday 16th Sept, though sadly this did not happen.

So despite recent speculation, it seems tomorrows Sunday love Songs was not "In the can"

It’s harder going listening to POTP this week than I expected. I like Gary Davies but he’s too laid back for POTP although maybe he’s being restrained in the current circumstances. Tge clips of Steve are great to hear. It’s funny I thought I’d come to terms with not hearing Wrighty on a daily basis after he was pulled from afternoons and it was a bonus to have him on POTP now. It’s so sad though that his mic is closed for good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Steve's last 3 songs on his afternoon show were

3.First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining

2.Quaterflash - Harded My Heart

1.Queen - Radio Ga Ga

Signed off with "remember the old closer. " An old jingle which he played for 30 seconds leading into the 5pm news headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Ah Liza, you’re setting me off here!

good to see that they kept Steve's name and normal Sunday Love Songs jingles in the show, as if Liza was just filling in for "the chief"

• Advertisement

BBC are vacating Wogan House tomorrow. One last show from Wogan tonight Paul Gambuccino from 8pm to 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Advertisement