Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Wrighty 😭

Options
  • 13-02-2024 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭

Steve Wright has passed away. Aged 69. Gone too soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Fcuk! He was only mentioned last week as being lined up for a new R2 spin off station!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah and I loved his new take on pick of the pops on Saturday afternoons. Christ I never imagined last Saturday was the last time I’d hear him on air. That’s another pillar of the radio I remember gone.

Seems really sudden and has caught the R2 people by surprise. Poor Bobby trying to make it through her traffic update just now. I loved the on air banter between herself and Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Very emotional on R2 at the moment. They are all in shock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Shocking news. Extremely popular for decades on UK radio. The king of afternoons.

A proper DJ. A radio anorak. Passes away on World Radio Day.

Tribute currently on BBC Radio 2, they played Christy Moore Ride On just before 6pm one of his favourite songs.

Ironic how BBC Radio 2 are moving out of Wogan House this week, to be beside his former home Radio 1 in Broadcasting House

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

I found his radio show on BBC 2 during lock down 2021. Listened to his shows Monday - Friday. I lived for every Friday @ 4:15pm when DJ Silly Boi would get on the decks with serious jockin'....loved it. Some of the the jingles on serious jockin' were great, I'd audio recorded a load of em and I still play them on a Saturday night when I'm having a kitchen disco with the family. I think Harden My Heart by Quaterflash was 1 of his favourite songs, played 2nd last before he ended with Radio Ga Ga on his last shop. RIP Silly Boi Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Aw, that news hit me hard. RIP Steve.

I grew up through the 80's listening to him. I was surprised when visiting UK a couple of years ago to hear him on air, sounding as fresh as ever. It was like I'd never left. Didn't expect him to still be on prime time, the amount of energy he put in to his shows must have been exhausting.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Loved the show Steve!

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Didn’t Gareth O’Callaghan base his entire career on Steve Wright? Wonder where he will seek inspiration from now……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

We need someone like him in Ireland. The non-stop oldies and fun chat inbetween, along with actually interesting interviews. Would be a better afternoon show than Ray f** D’Arcy.

RIP

He did and growing up in RTELand Gareth was my first introduction to what Steve did so well. I liked Gareth back in the 90s but I caught up with Wrighty in the afternoons on BBCR2 around 2018 and it was great to hear the master do his thing. Great presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Radiomeister

One of the great music radio broadcasters.It's hard to imagine just how innovative he was.When he appeared on Radio Luxembourg,he really lit up the airwaves.The persona,the energy,the seamlessness of his links.The voices,the characters,the preparation.There was so much to learn from him,' not a lot of people know that!

Later,on BBC Radio 1/2 he continued to evolve.Perhaps,nearer the end of his career he was less ' edgy' but that impish sparkle was never too far away.

A consumate and innovative radio dj whose creativity was a joy to listen to.

Post edited by Radiomeister on

"Later,on BBC Radio 1/2 he continued to evolve.Perhaps,nearer the end of his career he was less ' edgy' but that impish sparkle was never too far away.

Sadly society and being PC meant his characters and content had to be cancelled or dumbed down.

Why do you say the end of his career ? He was on BBC R2 a few days ago ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Radiomeister

Apologies ford fiesta if I wrote that phrase awkwardly, I meant in the latter part of his career.

Steve’s final Pick Of The Pops show from last Saturday I was sorry to see Gambacini move but delighted his replacement was Steve and he was fantastic in the slot

I was delighted a proper DJ was taking over POTP.

I was really looking forward to continue listening to Steve for the next 5 years at least on Radio 2 on FM (and the planned new digital station).

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Regarding Gareth O'Callaghan.

Actually Gareth and Steve were good friends and they learned from each other. Steve was VERY aware of who was good on air in Dublin at Radio Nova, Sunshine 101 and later on at Atlantic 252. He was an anorak who loved great tight and slick radio from all over the world. Gareth paid a wonderful personal tribute to Steve this evening on his Facebook page. Their paths first crossed in 1985 when Gareth worked in the UK and was introduced to Steve by Gavin McCoy (Sid The Manager, Mr. Angry, Jervaise and more as well as VO of Steve Wright in The Afternoon).

Steve acknowledged the pirates and had such guests on his show as Jono Coleman, Charlie Wolf, Mark Wesley and Tony Prince. He acknowledged radio stations like Caroline, Laser 558, Atlantic 252 and more "anorakky" topics on his show - an action that never alienated his mammoth audiences on Radio 1 and Radio 2 over the years. He picked his own music for his shows. PD's in Ireland and the UK would more than likely fire someone for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Last few moments of his final 'The Big Show'

https://youtu.be/FmZwuKNZX30?si=daNrO-Xd-4rTkLmT

• Advertisement

It’s interesting hearing Tony Blackburn mentioning how he’d show up at 9 to prep for a 2PM slot! Despite his awesome talent he still put in the legwork. I only wish more of the current batch had that kind of work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Like the way Tubs, D'Arcy, Duffy do/did at rte?

Only joking. I think Tubs used to roll in 5min before the show started, as it was obvious he was reading a lot of the cue cards for the 1st time.

Don't think Duffy puts in much prep either. No need for that mess of a show.

And as for Darcy, if he put in 12hrs prep, he'd still make a balls of something.

It shows though. I’d say nobody in the BBC Radio 2 daytime lineup is rolling in 5 minutes before air and winging it. You could say the difference is stark and there’s really no danger of any of the RTE daytime lineup even getting a start on BBC Radio Bristol let alone R2.

It’s strange there hasn’t been a mention of his passing on radio this side of the Irish Sea. Not that I’ve heard anyway. I know he’s not Graham Norton level of recognition but still known as a TOTP presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I always assumed that Terry Wogan came in around 2 am to get ready for 7.30. But Bob Sheenan, the Controller of Radio 2 at the time tells a very different story.

"He described him as a natural when it came to radio, and recalled fellow presenter Jeremy Vine's shock when Sir Terry turned up five minutes before a show one day having done no preparation.

Mr Shennan said: "The thing about Terry was that he really didn't go into a lot of preparation for his programme. He fed off the audience. He didn't pre-judge what it would be about that day.

"Jeremy said to Terry 'How are you going to prepare for everything, have you done all your prep for that?' And Terry said 'No, I'll just get out of the lift and I'll wander into the studio. I'll open the microphone and we'll see what people have got to say.'

"And that was how he did it. And it was why he was so good."

“No, I'll just get out of the lift and I'll wander into the studio. I'll open the microphone and we'll see what people have got to say”

sounds like Joe Duffy’s motto!

It's very strange to listen back to Steve's shows (Pick of the pops and Sunday love songs) from just last weekend

Jeremy Vine opening the phone lines now to fans of Wrighty

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Vine is another one who wings it. He is on Channel 5 TV, and then cycles over to Radio 2. I expect he has people to do the prepartion, just like Wogan would have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

"We need someone like him in Ireland"

Where? Steve Wrights style would be shunned by Dan Healy, Scott Williams, Liam Thompson, Phil Manzor and the rest of them. What PD would allow Wrightey to be himself and on what radio station?

Maybe RTE Radio 1 or 2fm would change format and go HotAC/Gold for an afternoon ending with a little "Serious Jockin' " ?

The majority of PD's and MD's in Ireland today would verbally dismiss Steve as "old hat", "cheesey" and not as good as their current lineups 'Jesus'.

Steve had, on a normal day larger audiences than there are people on the island of Ireland. Mavericks tend to get pariah'd here, they will talk behind your back and undermine your ability and skill and put out the word "he's mad" or "he's too hot" or "American / UK sounding" or do some other such character and professional assassination on the jock. What happened to 'The Boy Jase' for example? or 'Dusty Rhodes'?

"That style doesn't work here"

Unfortunately there is more chance of resurrecting the Titanic.

• Advertisement

As well as the UK population being 10x / 11x more than Ireland - UK are more a dedicated and sensitive audience than those here...in an anorak sort of way.

A Steve Wright sort of presenter here would be lambasted - who would come close in an old school sense ?

Pat Courtenay ??

Advertisement