Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I buy Bottled water in Bulk and got stung for 6 euro charge today!! Deposit return Scheme- !!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

People are too fussy. Buy a filter. Problem solved.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've (unusually) had to buy some bottles of soft drinks recently. The shops weren't taking the deposit yet because they were still trying to sell their old stock.

I'd say some people are just putting them in their recycle bin and not bothering collecting their deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep my local Tesco have 2x large cardboard recycling boxes for anything that isn't accepted. I want to say the ones on the continent I used ~8yrs ago would just shred a can/bottle if it could scan but wasn't part of the scheme (some beers for ex). Once it knew what it was it'd crush it and just give you 0c for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

So anything that hasn't the correct barcode is rejected, FFS!

We have about 100 bottles and cans at and I was going to give the kids a job to separate the old ones from the new ones by scanning the barcode however I just saw on the reuse website that you have to type in the barcode number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

100 undamaged bottles and cans!?

Someone posted a link to a website what uses your phone camera to check the barcode, in think it's in the thread somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Nope.

The LOGO is not yet a reliable way to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Here is the link with camera operated scanner. Credit to a boardsie for creating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

It might be a coincidence but the only people I've seen use the new machines in Ireland are those in wheelchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Franto10

My friend got a water test. We first test tap water. Absolutely unfit to drink. Then we want to test the bottle water and surprisingly found out that the rayn water is miles away the healthy one to drink. No fluoride added. We have a distiller so when tap water is used on it when it finishes, the bottom of the filter looks absolutely disgusting! Imagine all this to be processed by your body. I avoid fluoride added water after watching many documentaries what it can causes to your health.Noawdays, I'm happy to use whenever I can, just rain water. The kettle never ever needs recalling. There are also cheap ceramic filters with 2 clay elements doing excellent job for ages. But agai, best results - confirmed by water test is to use wherever filter with rain water. Then, use any bottle water you please. Cheap, healthy, no deposit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Do what a friend of mine did. Just get a water fountain from ballygowan or whoever. Use the huge bottles, they take them away and deliver new ones each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If you think thats bad. 4 of us dropped into a place for sandwiches on a walk. The bottles and cans the drinks came in we got charged 15c each for.

No problem just hand them back after and get your money back - you would think.

We had to argue for them to take them back and then eventually they would only give us a voucher to use there on our next visit. We will never be passing there again. Ended up carrying the empties with us for the next couple of days.

Royal PITH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Just leave it as a tip.

Dont worry. It wont be long before you have to scan the leftover food on your plate to see if you can put it in the bin or have to return it to the shop for your deposit. If only there was a way to just pop cans and bottles into some sort of bin that gets recycled and save your kids some work and you a drive.

I like your thinking. But i would rather leave a negative tip for this carry on.

Friend suggested that every time someone hands you something in a can or a bottle now that you ask them to pour it into a cup. And then if they try to charge for the bottle or can tell them you didnt get one.

This is putting me right of recycling altogether. What was wrong with just putting recyclables in the fukin green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

no people in carvans, they opening burn rubbish

very few people are burning plastic, if it was even 1 in 10 in 2000, its way less now with everyone having access to bins and basically being forced into it, its not even worth it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't believe this thread is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Well you will be pleased to know I have given up on the bottled water and trialing an under sink system. The fiasco of taking the bottles back did me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Likewise, I resent the scheme when I used to recycle with my Green bin at home. In my defiance Ive bought a sodastream and got a large CO2 cylinder from Ecogas. No more plastic and cheapish fizzy water. The Germans are mad for the sodastreams. I think they will make a comeback here soon. Just don't get mugged for the refills!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did the same with Sodastream back in 2021, other half was buying lots of plastic bottles as she wanted fizzy water and we wanted to cut them out. It did the trick.

Now only plastic bottles we tend to buy are miwadi now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What if you buy a bottle of water at a corner shop which has no machine to return it. Where do you go? I thought you could only spend the receipt in the shop you bought the water from originally?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can return the bottle to any machine anywhere.

The voucher from that machine has to be used in the shop its in or, sometimes, another in the chain - just assume it has to be used in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

that will probably to be shipped to asia for burning, like all the other plastic

No time to waste. But mine. Walking with a massive bag of empty cans in storm Kathleen to find this. Im pro this system in general but we shouldnt have it in Ireland. We were always gonna **** it up.

Advertisement