Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I buy Bottled water in Bulk and got stung for 6 euro charge today!! Deposit return Scheme- !!

Options
  • 12-02-2024 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭

Why am I penalised for doing my part for the environment? I buy in bulk every 2 weeks, 48 litres in 2l bottles! I have a blue bin so these get recycled as per normal. The machine in shop says not in service. And if I don't return them the shop keeps the money!! From here on in I have to keep 24 bottles, uncrushed and then fill up car. take them back to shop, machine probably wont be in service or if it is stand there and push in 24 bottles.

I feel scammed and winder why I bother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Should be in the gripe section as its not a CI issue

The shop does not keep the money

Re this

Why am I penalised for doing my part for the environment?

Do you not see the irony in this when followed by

every 2 weeks, 48 litres in 2l bottles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

Buy 5 litre bottles and pour it into smaller bottles as needed. No deposit needed for a bottle that size and you can continue to use your recycle bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SVI40

It was announced over 2 years ago. What I find surprising is how many people are only aware of it now.

One of the main reasons it was introduced was people not following the simple instructions for recycling. CLEAN and DRY before putting in the recycling bin. Bins were full of dirty bean cans, tomato ketchup bottles etc. contaminating the bin.

The big scam is there is no tax on these containers. Only soft drink and beer containers. Bit like sugar tax, only effected soft drinks, not cakes, confectionery, added sugar in cereals etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

stop buying water! Put the money you would buy in a tin, save it up and pretty soon you can buy a water filtration system for your house then you can drink all the water you like and never buy another plastic bottle. Its the best money I ever spent! Good for your hair and clothes washing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There would be no irony involved if the government did what it should and ensured that plastic, washed, seperated and sorted by the public at enormous collective cost in time and effort, and submitted for recycling, was actually fuc​king recycled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

When they tried to introduce water charges they clarified that you only need to rinse off the large particles off cans etc. and they dont need to be clean or fully Dry. this was repak explaining on TV to try and get people to believe in Water charges. Now I am hearing from recycling companies that it needs to be clean and dry. No drink cans are going to be "DRY" inside so that is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You aren't doing your part for the environment. You are wastefully using more plastic than you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There’s 2 good threads on this please don’t peddle this as the reason why it was introduced for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I'm not sure how buying 48 plastic bottles a month is doing anything for the environment...

Why not install a Brita P1000 filtering tap in the kitchen? The cartridges are about 50EUR/each and can filter 800 - 1200 litres of tap water. We've ditched bottled water for one of these and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're not being penalised.

The new system has two functions; to reduce purchasing of plastics in the first place and to increase the amount of recycling of that which is in circulation.

All you did was pay a deposit, which you'll get back in a fortnight when you bring your empties back and get your next 48 bottles.

With everything going on in the World, having your 6 quid tied up in a continuous cycle is of no consequence to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

Plus, hefting those 5 litre bottles to decant into smaller bottles will be a good upper body workout, helping maintain those guns that can be lost as we get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peacefullore

1. If you're buying bottled water you're not doing much for the environment if anything at all.

2. You can return the bottles to any machine and you are entitled to get your money back. Just return them when doing your weekly shop or when popping out for something you might have forgotten in the middle of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am , I have recycled all the plastic and everything else over the last 23 years. The tap water where I live is undrinkable and so bad I have an under sink filter and a Kettle filter. I get so called pure water ok for drinks but no good as ordinary drinking water.

I honestly thought this scheme was aimed at those who buy and sling bottles. It was the smug look on the shop assistants face that wound me up and then to find they have the returns machine signed as NOT IN SERVICE and the final straw was the bit " If you don't return we keep the deposit". I wouldn't mind but I have been shopping there for nigh on 16 years.

And the tip re the 5 litres is a definite goer so many thanks.

And by the way its not me that sells the water in plastic bottles, if it was glass I would still buy and recycle.

Thanks for all replies and I bet you will a gripe about the returns machines not working very soon.

Contaiminated? You know the recycling material is wash regardless and the most up to date advice was not to wash them as it wastes water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So every 2 weeks OP you buy 24 bottles of water. That's a lot of plastic bottles in a year. What's wrong with the water from the taps in your house? If its lime just buy a filter jug and you will save a fortune in not having to buy water. Then you could save the money you are no longer wasting on buying bottled water and buy a water filtration system for your house like a poster above said. Only people with more money than sense buy bottled water all the time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its a tax on people who already recycle.

I always properly split out recyclables in the household waste and put them in the proper recycling bins. Did it religiously for years.

But I know I'm never going to have time to repeatedly haul waste to a shop for the privilege of getting my money back in voucher form. So it is simply a price hike for me.

Fuck the lot of them. It can all go in the general waste bin from now on.

So you already recycle, but now you are going to just chuck it in the regular bin? Sounds like you don't really care about recycling.

Yeah, I've got one of those Brita taps. Great thing to have in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SVI40

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure who gave that advice but as I wash the dishes every night (those not destined for the dishwasher), I manage to was the recyclables before I pull out the plug so the advice is poorly conveyed.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Also if you are getting 48 2ltr bottles the drs levy on that would be €12(48*.25)

The retailer doesn't get to keep the deposit at all, the producers (Coke, Ballygowan etc) charge the retailer the 15/25c on every bottle and the retailer passes it on. It's the producers who pay the re-turn company to administer the scheme. Revenue collect the full drs charge from the retailer.

The only thing that retailers get out it is around 1c handling fee when accepting returns. If returns are not accepted then there is nothing in it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Doing your part for the environment, by consuming 624 plastic bottles a year, for water.

Well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

And you didn't know that this was happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Care? Not particularly and never claimed otherwise. I recycled at home because there was a logic to it that I was happy to engage with.

Now I am being taxed yet again, so there goes my engagement right out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Whats the scam here ?

It's not a tax...that's just what people opposed to the scheme are using to justify their objection to it.

If you continue to dump the bottles it will become an expensive and pyric stand. However, that's a choice that is entirely up to you, as is buying so many bottles of water.

Cool. You're not going to make much of a difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Looking at the size of those Return machines, I reckon you'd fill one up and it'd be out of service if you put 24, 2L bottles into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The big scam is there is no tax on these containers.

No the big scam is that most of the 'recycled' plastic is not actually being recycled, but ends up in incinerators or landfills 'out of the way', meaning in Asia or Africa. And that has nothing to do with contamination.

I think this system is meant to increase the percentage of truly recyclable plastic. At the moments its very poor I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

Advertisement