Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping a car theft leads to manslaughter conviction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's like a Daily Tabloid title. Had me thinking the person convicted was the car owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’m afraid, what is painfully obvious to some will be a revelation to others.

People do leave their cars running unattended and expect them not to be stolen so it is a fair comment to point out that this is not wise.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another guy hitting 170km/h, this time going the wrong way on a road, and killing someone.

4 years detention.

But God love him, can't be named cos he's 17.

Time to change some laws in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Scumbags have the run of this country and have done for decades.

Glazers Out!

so you explicitly had to point it out or else no one would gather the potential implications had they not pondered them already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's a Garda in trouble for chasing 3 burglars, returning from a crime spree, who decided to try to escape by driving against the traffic at high speed and died when they crashed. If he didn't try to apprehend them he'd be in trouble too. Madness what's happening.

You couldn't make up some of the decisions being made by the law makers and judges in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

If we want change in this country , to stem the regression of civilization in the world right now all you need is the will to do it and i can not think of a leader in the world who does .

If people who are willing to buy into being part of a society and move forward with civilization want to succeed it needs to eliminate or over come those who dont otherwise we really are screwed as a species never mind a nation.

ya i know ....

Yes.

This is a free and open forum for discussion and the exchange of ideas, thoughts, fun, advice and much more. Within reason we are free to post and discuss what we want.

This is an emotive topic with much nuance. There are no right or wrong answers. But it is one that merits discussion about human behaviour and criminal justice and much else.

I did not come on here to troll or be insensitive. I had some thoughts and wanted to know who else felt that way. I won’t lie, I learned a lot tonight and have much to think about. In real life or online, I am not afraid to stick my head above the parapet and this is one case where I am glad that I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The theft of one vehicle and the unlawful killing should have been dealt with separately.

Personally I think it is serious enough to warrant a murder charge. It's not like he lost control of the vehicle and hit the poor man by "accident".

The DPP settled on man slaughter, it should have been at the very high end though, headline sentence of at least 20 years. 20% reduction for his guilty plea but nothing else given his criminal history.

The other dozen or so crimes he plead guilty to should have been dealt with separately, it seems to have been included because a "crime spree" is more serious, but obviously that is not reflected in sentencing. He basically didn't get sanctioned for them.

The 12 year driving ban is ludicrous, should have been 40 with the option to appeal after 20 years. He was banned from driving at the time, so no mitigation there.

His partner in crime getting 2 years custodial and 7 year driving ban given his previous is also generous given his past convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

i find more and more are locked into binary thinking in the past 10-15 years - I think a lot is to do with the adversarial nature of social media and the polarisation of media/politics - what I mean is - if you don't agree you are a bad person with a label.

The idea that we can't discuss a persons actions - the rights or wrongs of them without automatically being accused of (the pathetic attack) "victim blaming" in affront to normal human curiosity and conversation.

A normal discourse should accept that while a victim of crime deserves our sympathy and concerns , not all their actions may have been in their best interests. It should be possible to discuss this without saying the guy deserved his faith. Which nobody even hinted at yet the accusations of "victim blaming " flow.

It a sad state that people think and react like this - its almost like that either cant read and process what is actually written but instead jump off into a fantasy of what they think was written.

Post edited by foxsake on

Jumping on the bonnet of a moving car is even more dangerous than riding a motorbike with no helmet.

What makes you think he had a choice?

IF you are standing in front of your car and the person driving accelerates leaving you no time to get out of the way, you have 2 options, get on the bonnet or get ran over.

You seem to think he ran to the car and jumped on the bonnet to save his vehicle, the article says nothing of the sort.

Comparisons with riding a motorcycle are beyond non sensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Spot on.

It also doesn’t help that sensitivities have replaced reason to a large degree. Even if someone did something incredibly stupid, and caused their own demise you will be attacked for pointing it out because people will inevitably feel offended. It’s a curious trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We all have animal caveman instincts that come out in times of danger, who knows how we'll react when family/property is threatened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

This is a shocking story, it reminds me of a Facebook post of a friend who was living in the States, his car was robbed and he reported it etc, later that day he meets his car while he is heading to work in his wife's car and posts a pic on his story. My initial reaction was why didn't you follow them etc, his post was he does nothing calls the police as there was an assumption the robber would be armed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭TokTik

My fathers car was being robbed a few years ago. I ran downstairs and out the front door after them, they ran and jumped into an awaiting car and drove off

Got a huge lecture when the Gardai eventually turned up because apparently I should have just let them take it. My reaction “F off, ya useless shower of c#*ts” almost led to me getting a charge. The police in this country are a joke.

A chap I know disturbed a car theft , and they calmly advised him to go back inside and leave them at it

So you were crying wambulance that no one would debate with you and once someone does you respond with absolute nonsense.

Do you ever think the problem may be yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This country is a joke

"Murphy has 27 previous convictions, all from the District Court, which include road traffic offences, drug possession, arson and public order offences. He was also disqualified from driving at the time of this offence.

McCormick Smith has 16 previous convictions, all from the District Court, including the unauthorised taking of a vehicle, theft, public order, criminal damage and possession of knives."

We can kinda see where the idea for The Purge films came from.

Unfortunately it's the scum with the weapons and attitude nowadays, so all the good people would end up getting killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It looks like they cashed in all their other crimes to get concurrent sentences as well:

"He further pleaded guilty to two counts of attempting to take a vehicle, three counts of stealing three vehicles, one count of attempting to steal property from a vehicle and one count of stealing a push bike at various locations throughout Dublin on the same date."

It does sound like a very special push bike given that he went after it multiple times.

Your post my nonsense, my friend. And that’s as much of your bait that’ll I’ll take.

If you have something constructive to add, I’m happy to read it.

This is an emotive topic with much nuance. There are no right or wrong answers. But it is one that merits discussion about human behaviour and criminal justice and much else.

🤷‍♀️

Advertisement