Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping a car theft leads to manslaughter conviction

Options
  • 12-02-2024 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/adam-murphy-car-robbery-manslaughter-court-6297606-Feb2024/

Saw this story on The Journal earlier. It was tragic that this man was killed and I was glad justice was served and that perpetrators plead guilty to save the family (and themselves) the stress and upset of trial.

I couldn’t help but think ‘Why did you leave your car running in a public place? And why did you try to stop them once they had it?’.

I can’t be the only person thinking this?

These f***ers are usually so high they wouldn’t remember yesterday. In that moment they have no empathy and they’ll do anything to get away. This man lost his life because of it. 

It’s a bit of metal and plastic. Let them take it. Your life is so much more valuable.

I regularly see cars left running at petrols stations etc.  in my local area. It’s a big town of 8,000 but with a big rural hinterland. It just boggles me. What possible benefit is there to doing that? Not wearing out the starter? You’re not driving some British Leyland dustbin that you were lucky to get going and now can’t risk switching it off. 

Insurance won’t cover you if your car is stolen in these circumstances which is probably why this poor man went after them. But why risk it? I can’t understand it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

I suppose it’s hard to know how you would react in that moment. Instinct would take over, not always the wise choice of options

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sentencing is still a JOKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know why people leave their car running, but I don't judge the man at all for tying to stop the scumbags. The little **** get to do what they want precisely because people don't try to stop them, fair play to him for not being a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fight or flight response I guess kicks in. Maybe through this poor man’s experience (RIP) he’s saved others from serious injury or death by giving them the chance to think in advance of what they might do.

Ive seen a number of car jacking stories in the papers over the last few years so I’m assuming such incidents are more common than before (but still relatively rare hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought you meant the owner killed the scumbag not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I meant to put my OP some advice I got years ago that stuck with me. South African guy told me their attitude (South Africans) is that it is up to you to protect your property, lock your garage, have alarms etc etc. ‘The cops ain’t gonna get your stuff back for you. It’s gone and someone else is enjoying it now’

I just don’t think we have that attitude here because historically we didn’t need it. Times have changed (for decades) now but that hasn’t registered with a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and victim blaming is a disgusting thing.

Upon reading the link it gives a different picture of the one you painted in your post.

Mr. McDonnell parked his car in the forecourt outside his own business, he was entitled to feel it was a safe place.

His actions of trying to prevent his car from being stolen was obviously instinctive, I'm sure lots of people in the same circumstances would have reacted in the same way when seeing something they worked hard for being stolen from them in front of their eyes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Even though I heard Paul Williams talking about it on the radio this morning, the topic headline does sound like the owner killed the scumbag.

I also heard Williams say, that after leaving the dying man on the road, they they went on to steal 6 more cars. One of the defendants had 25 previous convictions, the other had 65 previous convictions.

Sentencing still an absolute joke in this country. 3 years with the final year suspended for accidentally killing someone while trying to steal the victims car.

It's been that way for decades.

The Legislature has the power to write harsher sentencing guidelines that the Judiciary must follow

They also have the capability to sign off on building more prison capacity.

Neither has happened. Decades of this. Decades.

• Advertisement

The electorate is apparently not fed up of it yet!

banned for 12 years from todays date, but committed to prison for 9 and a half years?

make it make sense. 🤣

Nothing is going to bring this man back. Parking on an open forecourt, no gates, on a busy road is not a safe place to leave a car running.

Jumping on the bonnet of a moving car is even more dangerous than riding a motorbike with no helmet.

These guys shouldn’t have stolen his car. His property should have been left unmolested.

If you don’t take measures to protect yourself and your property I think it is fair to say so and that isn’t victim blaming.

If your pocket was picked or your handbag snatched off your shoulder, I wouldn’t be saying ‘you should’ve worn a money belt or walked down a different street’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm sure the young man has the moral fibre to recognize the ban for 12 years after his release.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I saw a WhatsApp this week that made me think the same, navan I think

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a killing in Navan this week?

Media didn't report that.

Dublin 15 I think it was, would be thief is meant to be in intensive care with amongst other things a fractured skull.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You are absolutely "victim blaming" in your opening post.

Disgusting carry on, and I just hope none of the deceased mans family or friends have the misfortune to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think it's hard to understand to be honest.

He may have had an issue with the car.

His mind may have been preoccupied.

It's hard to know how you react to a situation until your in that situation.

It's a bit like drink to much or walking down a dark alley at night time at getting attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

The reality of the world as we have let it evolve is that there is an expectation that scumbags should be allowed to do as they please and its up to the police to try to bring them to "justice" later before the courts.

The odds of police coming across a crime as its happening are tiny even then a criminal who uses enough violence (or threat of same ) recklessness ( wrong way on the motorway etc) wil be allowed to get away as thats the policy imposed on police.

Standing around watching scum steal attack generally be allowed to continue their feral lives is the standard we have sunk to.

Protect yourself or expect to be seen as a easy consequence free victim to feed the hunger of the scum culture we have created.

little cnut still all about himself too

McCormick-Smith said they "set out" that day "to rob a car", and "didn’t set out to kill anyone".

"I might seem like a scumbag, but I have emotions," he said before he lied to the court about not seeing the man on the bonnet of his car

He was already in a stolen car that day with 27 previous and already banned from driving

what is the benefit to Ireland of ever leaving this creature out of jail ? ,although if he went in today he should be out in 5 years handy ,

I personally meet a fella in the street the other day who got 36 months for various robbery, assault and theft charges in November 2023 but was out because he went on on remand .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You have put up three posts now and the penny hasn't dropped with you.

You are victim blaming.

You aren't giving him advice because his pocket was picked or his bag snatched.

He is dead because of the callous actions of the two perpetrators, end of.

I get it now. Black or white. Right or wrong. No examination allowed. No mature discussion. To suggest there is any nuance to this situation or anything to learn from it is victim blaming.

They were wrong for stealing his car. End of. Glad we cleared that up. And in under 2 hours.

The ban starts now. Do it’ll be 2.5 yr left after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No you still don't get it.

Stealing the car was only the start of it.

They killed the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't really get what discussion you want.

Man leaves keys in his car for whatever reason.

A yob kills the man.

You could apply the same principle to somebody whenever they've an accident/ get attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Completely misleading thread titel. Should be instead:

"Car theft leads to manslaughter conviction"

He won’t of course at least 25% remission as standard.. in any case the point I’m making is how absolutely absurd it is to ban someone for driving for a period which they’ll spend the majority in prison for!! 🤣

doesn’t make any sense as a punishment only goes to sound tough. Really his driving ban is 3 years you’d say.

• Advertisement

I’m not being funny but what can we learn from this situation?

it’s not a good idea to leave your engine running with the car unattended or to jump on the bonnet of a moving vehicle?

or that stealing a car and driving with someone hanging off the bonnet is wrong and dangerous?

i think these lessons are well established within civilised society so I am sorry but you are absolutely just victim blaming at best and pointing out the painfully obvious as though to rub salt in the wounds.

Don’t you think the victim had all these thoughts running through their head before they died? We need to learn nothing here and we certainly don’t require it to be pointed out. To suggest otherwise is to suggest the readers here don’t possess basic common sense.

However when faced with a situation like this you don’t always react smart. Sometimes you just react.

Advertisement