Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please regarding new handicap system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Brilliant thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I presume it is a general play score you are talking about?

Is the stableford competition run by a society?

I was talking more about any competition - I incorrectly thought that you would have to finish out a hole even if you weren’t going to score in stableford, which would be very annoying for playing partners and as a result I wouldn’t have done it. The upcoming Boards society prompted the question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessed Nine qualifying all the time folks even when its wet underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For the Boards outing, we'll be asking that everyone log their rounds as general play on the GI app.

So you'll be able to just play the round as a stableford round. Then use your card afterwards to fill in the score in the app. One of your playing partners will be able to attest the round for you

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When you say the system sorts the rest out, is it just treated the same as the net double bogey rule for bad holes?

So if it's a par 3 that I had 1 shot on and I pick up after 7 strokes to improve the pace of play, that's just counted as a 6 by the handicap system when I pick option 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Even if you finish out with a 10 the system will adjust that to a 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Starting to play golf again after 7 or 8 years not a member. I've just read a general email from the Club and they're saying I need 20 cards for a "fully developed handicap", without which I'm not entitles to play in club matchplay competitions, or win club competitions. And cards are only acceptable when winter rules lift. It could be 3 years or more before I get 20 rounds of 18 holes. Seems bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

That's very severe, I've never heard of a club doing that for ordinary club comps maybe with the exception of interclub and captains.

But also why are you joining a club if you're only going to play an average of 7 rounds per year. Do you realise casual golf can be counted in your 20 scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

My main takeaway here is to put in as many general play scores as possible when the season opens. Get out for 9 a couple of times a week where possible.

Our club has something like this in place too. I believe it's for majors (all prizes) and first prizes in normal comps. Didn't see anything about matchplay comps though. I think it's at least 20 scores and at least 5 must be competitions. No-one can get counting scores in winter golf on most courses. So it's very hard on new players or those who haven't played much.

The reason why these limitations have been brought in is understandable. Most regular competition players can't get a huge score as their ability and handicap are in a well-established sync. New players and those with a small number of cards will have a handicap that's in constant flux vs their ability. So it's easy for a huge score or two to appear.

Previously handicap secretaries would have put someone on a low handicap like 18 for a new player. It would take them time to learn before the index creeps up and ability improves so they are in sync. The current system means that same player could get a 36 handicap and have obvious potential to improve very fast in 3 months. Very likely that they will shoot a score well under their index and blow away the field in a competition as they start to reach their potential.

I suppose the committees are trying to look at it in two ways:

1. The long term members and regular comp entrants have a reasonable chance to win a comp each week without a cricket score.
    2. New members are encouraged to develop their game and handicap to be closer to their potential.

There are some lower/mid index players in my club who believe they have a divine right to win prizes in comps. New players, myself, regulars etc - none of us have the right to win a prize. No matter when WHS requirements or competition rules are in place, we'll never all be satisfied. WHS isn't perfect and is changing every year. It's hard to know what is the fairest way of dealing with this tbh as you'll always make it hard for some groups.

I was thinking rounds of 18. I'd be doing well to get out twice a month on a Saturday for 18 holes. And the window isn't that long for non winter rules.

Some good advice from coillcam about getting in as many 9 holes as possible. I need to check the "20 scores" assertion to see if that's 20 x 9 holes, if 9 holes only count towards half a score, or if they don't count at all.

Agree with how difficult it is to protect the field from newly handicapped bandits. In the old days they'd give you a severe reduction against your scores from 3 cards and let you work your way back up. In my club anyway. I'd even be happy to play off 8 or 9, which is where I was when I gave up. I'd be miles off that now, but at least I'd be "competing" and would get to my right handicap sooner than 20 x 18 holes.

I found this link: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/world-handicap-system/2024-revision/2024-treatment-of-9-hole-scores-FAQ.html

Seems like the new system adjusts 9 holes (can be casual golf) and counts them fully as one of the 20 required, so happy days. If I can get out once a week for 9 holes, and then a run of weekends, I might have my 20 before winter rules kick in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

I don't think it's fair to say newly handicapped bandits. Most new players haven't a notion about how handicaps work, they'd struggle to determine their stableford points correctly never mind trying to be a bandit. New players just want to play golf, have fun and get better. They're not thinking about how to sneakily pad their record to gain strokes.

The actual bandits have a huge number of scores on their record. They strategically pull the handbrake at the end of the majors and then as soon as the season opens. So they're always optimising to gain shots back for majors. The only thing you can do is to spread out majors at the beginning, middle and end of the season so they can't pad their record for half of the year.

Following your other post the system will now also process any number of holes between 9-18 to get a score differential. 10, 12,15 etc doesn't matter the system will give you a score and add it to the record. So more comps that are 12/15 holes will be included. Anything that puts more scores on people's records should in general be a positive as it's a better reflection of your current form and ability.

You could get a full handicap record in 6 weeks but if you have a significant other it might be a problem 😁. Midweek play 2x 9 holes general play and a comp at the weekend. That fulfills your requirements surely. 6x comps on that record must be enough. You just need to make sure someone can approve your rounds on the GI app for the 9 holes.

Thanks @coillcam - you're right, it's not fair/accurate to say newly handicapped members are bandits. And agreed, the new system where 9+ holes general play counts towards one of the twenty is very handy indeed. That said, I'm not sure I'd have a significant other if I got a 20 scores in 6 weeks.

On your last comment, what does "You just need to make sure someone can approve your rounds on the GI app for the 9 holes" mean. I think I need to register my intention before general play that I'll be submitting a card, right? And I need a marker. Is there an App I need to use? There's a computer in the club, my ingoing assumption was I'd use this, but maybe there's an easier way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

someone else might post Android app link

Advertisement