Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

District heating standing charge when disconnection is impossible

Options
  • 04-02-2024 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I've just bought an apartment and I'm hoping someone could help me understand the legalities around district heating in particular.

In the case of my building, hot water (for taps and central heating) is boiled in the basement and pumped around to the apartments, each of which has their own heat meters. The heating system is technically owned by the property management company, and have a third-party company handling billing on their behalf. It's my understanding that it's not possible to disconnect individual apartments from the supply as the only cut-off points are on the riser between floors.

I was reading through the district heating supplier contract and noticed that while I'm allowed to cancel the contract at any time, the daily standing charge remains liable to the apartment owner regardless, perhaps because disconnection is impossible.

Could someone help me understand how that compulsory standing charge works from a legal perspective, if no contract is present? Is it enforceable via leasehold, or could it something else?

District heating is currently unregulated, so as far as I can see there's nothing in law from that perspective.

For a practical example, if whoever sets the standing charge decided to increase it to something crazy like €1000 per day, would each owner actually be legally liable for that amount, and be unable to avoid it via cancellation of the contract?

Comments

Advertisement