Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended a 3/4 day break?

Options
  • 04-02-2024 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

I'll have a week off either end of February/start of March.

Could anyone recommend a nice 3/4 day break this time of year?

I'm open to any type of holiday/city break

I'm living in Cork so if from Cork airport great but not essential.

There is nothing essential I want such as activities, etc so any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Basque country or Andalucia in Spain.

Cheap, plenty to do, nice climate, food, culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you've never been, Venice.

You'll be there before it gets really busy.

Stay in the city walk and use the water bus.

It'll blow your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dubrovnik is perfect for a short stay/long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Valencia, Seville, Malaga all great cities and at least 2 possible from Cork airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Great spot, you won't go far wrong there either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'm planning to go to Tromsø this time next year

No, just checked and it'd have to be from Dublin. Still worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭cute geoge

London ,could do it in about 4 hours door to door

• Advertisement

I just might consider it then... Dublin airport gives me the shivers though, ugh! Thank you!

I know what you mean - I absolutely HATE the place, but live in Dublin so no option really.

I've heard fantastic things about Seville and Lisbon and Porto, if any of those were options direct from Cork? Never been to any of them, though - but people whose opinions I would rate have raved about them.

I was going to suggest Ibiza, which you can get super-cheap flights to and from if you're flexible - but it's deadsville until Easter so unless you want a really, really quite time of it, maybe not this early in the year.

I have to agree Venice is brilliant in March. It’s lovely and quiet, not thronged out by tourists.

Seville is great too, and you can visit the Doñana national park and the extraordinary “wild-west”’ town of El Rocio by bus, and try and spot Lynx.

I've been to Lisbon before, LOVED it, I'd recommend (bring sensible shoes)!

I'm heading to Amsterdam in two weeks time for two nights, brilliant city... my first time out of this country since pre-COVID times.. can't wait! 😊

Yeah I love London but been 3 or 4 times recently enough so was thinking about some place new

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Albufiera or vilamoura are nice too. Lovely weather and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Carcassonne, flights from Cork and it's the perfect 3/4 day break. You could get the train to Collioure one of the days also. I spent a week in Toulouse and got the train to Carcassonne one of the days and it was the highlight of the trip.

Lyon is another place I loved, I haven't been there for years, but it's lovely to wander around, with great food and wine.

Or Prague.

But Dubrovnik, if you haven't been there, is just amazing, and would be quieter this time of year - I believe it's absolutely heaving during the summer months these days which would put me right off. A nice airbnb somewhere near, or even in, the old town, and just soak it all up, walk the walls, a day trip into Bosnia to see Mostar and that bridge if that would interest you, a boat taxi down to Cavtat nearby, a spin out to any of the nearby islands - God, I want to go back now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

somebody mentions Carcassone above, I can vouch for it.

But for me, a 3/4 day break I’d opt for Porto or Lisbon. Only downer is I think You have to get to DUB.

Some great suggestions there, thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

What exactly is so bad about Dublin Airport? It's not the best airport in the world but it's perfectly fine. I've been to a lot of airports in Europe and Dublin is definitely above average. Most British airports are very unpleasant places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Gdansk is a beautiful city and is perfect for about 3 days. You can fly there from Cork. The Solidarity Museum is excellent and is well worth a visit if you have any interest in that period of history. I didn't have time to go but the WWII museum there is also supposed to be very good. We did a trip on the Black Pearl pirate ship to Westerplatte and back which was very enjoyable. There's a great selection of cafes and restaurants and it's cheap.

Gdansk is definitely one of the nicest small European cities I've visited (along with Ljubljana, Tallinn and Salzburg to name a few).

It's more the extra travel and the expense of possibly staying in a hotel or waiting for hours in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Discod

Rome, Florence,

Valencia, Seville, Malaga

Nice, Cannes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭pavb2

Another vote for Florence I also enjoyed Biarritz and Santander or Bilbao

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Lille is an often overlooked city. Great connections by TGV from Paris and Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Any good accommodation recommendations for Dubrovnik ?.. or any of the others?

it’s getting good accommodation that is the killer for me as my wife doesn’t like to ‘rough it’!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭pavb2

We stayed in the Radisson Blu resort about 20 minutes outside Dubrovnik right on the coast with about 3 pools couldn’t ask for better the hotel offers a shuttle bus into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

We stayed in an AirBNB overlooking the sea about 2 mins away from the Pile Gate right beside Dubrovnik old town and castle walls. Trying to remember what hotels were nearby but that location was fantastic for 3-4 days and sounds of the sea and proximity to everything in walking distance.

Also recommend Dubrovnik, as well as Valencia, Madrid and Porto as great city breaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Stayed in the Boutique Hotel Porto in Dubrovnik in 2022. It's near the harbour where the cruise ships come in, and about 10 mins by bus to the old town.

A lovely modern hotel, staff were excellent (I was ill while there and they arranged for a doctor to visit me).

You can read more about it on booking.com

Advertisement