Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weatherspoons Sold

Options
  • 02-02-2024 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

So Weatherspoons has been bought by an un-named buyer, thoughts are its causeway group, all staff are being kept on and it will continue to operate under a new name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I hope that news is correct

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It's not and it wasnt at the time the OP posted this either, he jumped the gun....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

It has been, the papers just need to be signed but its sold, same as if i buy a house its off the market but wont go through till my solicitor gets his end sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

Brexit the gift that just keeps giving.

It is

Sorry, just so i dont pish on anyones chips here, its been sold and an agreed sale is in place, and was when i wrote my initial post, subject to checks etc etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

It is not sold.

Why do you say that? It was a blessing to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes and no, yes it created jobs both directly and directly, but no, its a business model that operates on feeding and escalating societal dysfunctions....

Weatherspoons represent fairly much everything that's bad about the pub trade. It sells cheap beer to the point that it attracts a very low class of punter. In England at many of their outlets they only sell beer in skiffs for fear of glass fights. That's what happens when you sell to people who judge a pub on the price of beer.

It treats it's staff like ****, and it promoted a policy (Brexit) which was guaranteed to kill its trade.

As i said an agreement is in place, until the solicitors receive their cheque or keys are handed over its not sold but its sold pending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Your last statement there is complete nonsense, the first words are entirely wrong and the second words are an opinion.

Read all about your first words here https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/investors-home/bsr/people

There are plenty pubs, clubs restaurants and other establishments that treat their staff terrible, unless you have first hand experience of Wetherspoons then your statement is just your opinion rather than a statement of fact. My son worked in Wetherspoons in town for a year before moving over to the UK to University, he loved the place along with all the staff and management, that management have since left are are now running the spoons in Blanchardstown. He is currently working in another spoons part time in the UK and like the Waterford one, he loves it there too.

This rhetoric about them treating their staff terrible is more often than not pushed by other pubs who are generally put out when a Wetherspoons opens up in an area. Prior to working in Spoon in Waterford he worked in a well established hotel in the city centre and I can assure you, he was treated much worse in there and paid a lot less too. so I think you need to do a bit more research before mouthing off.

Its funny because you criticized the poster for saying they are terrible to work for and went on to criticize a well established city centre Hotel by saying they were much worse to work for and worse paid.(admittedly you did say in your sons experience)

I happen to agree with you on it as Hotels in general are very difficult places to work in, however overall I think it comes down to individuals who are in supervising positions Duty Managers and maybe dare I say General Managers who happen to be the nightmare to work for, so therefore its subjective and maybe just luck or bad luck depending on how you look at it.

I mean, a red flag should be an Employer led great place to work scheme, here fill out that form and give it back to me and tell me how great our company is to work for, that's wrong and shouldn't be allowed on ethical grounds. No one wants to write what they really think on those forms

I write of my experience of weatherspoons. Dirt cheap beer makes for a not very classy establishment with not very classy customers.

Glass fights happen because those not very classy customers end up blind drunk and have violent fights on the premises and outside it - hence real ale in flimsy plastic skiffs. Classy.

The owner is not very classy either as he campaigned for a policy that is slowly destroying his business and hence the sell off of the not very classy Irish weatherspoons.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I was only in wetherspoons a few times but i never got a plastic glass for my drink. Although it's not a patch on a decent irish pub they have a good selection of draught and bottled beer better than most pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Same here. There were a lot of students the last time. Lively but controlled.No fights or any antiscoial behaviour. Maybe the poster is writing of a UK experience.

Exactly, I was giving an example of my son’s experience with both, it wasn’t a statement of fact.

There’s a big difference in sale agreed and sold, anything can happen when it’s in a sale agreed state. When you posted that it was sold, that was factually incorrect. It’s is much closer now to be sold that it was when an initial bid was submitted now. As you are already probably aware, it should be finalised in the coming weeks, and then it will officially be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Any word on who bought ( or in the process of buying) it and what’s the plan for it

• Advertisement

Word on the street is it's the Causeway Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A tragedy if that happens. Everything they own is poorly maintained or in dismal condition. Just look at the Factory or that Pinks Cantina. A shambles, unpainted, unloved, dingy. Wetherspoons spent a fortune on two lovely listed buildings. Vey sad.😥

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Exactly! All those Wetherspoon's bashers be careful what you wish for.

Whether you like it or not, the reason Wetherspoons exists allows Students, people on limited incomes, families etc... to get out for a few drinks and some food. The reason it's so cheap is that it's massive, that's their business model. That's the reason there's always a good crowd in there.

Do you think when the Causeway group or whoever takes over the drinks and food are going to remain the same price? Obviously not because they don't have the buying power or economies of scale that having 800+ pubs has. Once the cheap drink goes what reason would anyone have to drink in there.

I think the place will be closed or vastly scaled back within 12 months of anyone taking it over.

Guinness taps have already been put in ready for the new owners, not flowing yet till new owner is in place officially, its causeway group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well said.

I never could understand the Wetherspoon's bashing, live and let live, those who do not like it just go elsewhere.

The job that Wetherspoons did to transform 2 old shopfronts was impressive.

I can't see the scale of the building being sustained charging normal prices although Geoffs is quite large aswell so maybe it would, just thinking it may end up getting carved into 3 different bars/restaurants/cafes.

It is a huge place, and i have to say the finish they did on the place was some job, It does sometimes feel like a bit of a land of the doomed when you go in and see some of the punters so i know wat some of the other posters meant, the guards are called quite often too

The personal views of the owner has no bearing on anything. There is nothing wrong with drinking. I dont believe in low class kinds of people. I visit them in UK and Ireland have never ever experienced anything you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Do the Causeway group own anything that is a decent business?

That Pinks went rapidly downhill, there was a right buzz around the place when it first opened but it's got a bad reputation for food and cheap cocktails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shame it's sold, best range of beer in town along side Tullys and Revolution. Way cheaper as well, always found up stairs grand for a few quiet ones and a chat.

Advertisement