Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Michelle O'Neill be the first Catholic First Minister/PM of the north since partition

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so the brits were fighting themselves - they never squared that corner with the above theory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don’t see how it’s a wonderful country tbh. Obviously everyone has fondness for their home place, but the most remarkable thing about the north is how divided it is. It really is incredible.

It is very different to anywhere else in the UK or the Republic.

I dunno if anyone can say there won’t be a United Ireland. I think it’s very likely there will be a referendum within 20 years. It won’t become apparent until the closing weeks of the campaign how that will go. I’d agree that if it were held this year it’d probably fail, but again, I don’t think anyone could say for certain without observing how the campaign goes.

But anyway, it’s a huge moment that a Catholic is first minister, given NI was established to have a Protestant majority. If NI is to continue it’ll only be with Catholic approval given how the demographics have turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Your Catholic fanaticism has you all warped. Get over it. Religion has very very very little to do with NI politics now. Most people have moved on from fairy stories and are much more concerned with the cost of living and public services.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Hey, if you don’t think politics in NI (and much of life) is dominated by a Catholic-Protestant divide no one or nothing will convince you.

Im not a Catholic fanatic btw, only Christmas, weddings and funerals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Maybe in the 70s and 80s but it's just 2 tribes now - nationalist and unionist. I doubt many would even know the fundamental differences between Catholicism and Protestantism apart from not liking the pope.

For a non fanatic, you sure love defending the Roman church when it comes to their child abuse atrocities.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A quick drive up north - once you cross the border and hit the flags around the place (which doesn't take long) - that's when you kind of see the place is sort of warped and very different from here. It's moved on a bit but it's still very noticeable when I go there with the painted kerb stones, murals and stuff. Tribal I would say.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I can’t ever remember being in any debates about the Church.

It was always two tribes, of course. That hasn’t changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was there and it was there before you were born and back and back.

A reading of the history of Belfast would show that, one could even argue that the visceral hatred of the past was never exceeded during the worst of the 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

Religion definitely factors into the communities folk live in, and the school they attend. Even if they don't say the prayers every sunday they're still going to St. Josephs' Boys School.

Advertisement