Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Michelle O'Neill be the first Catholic First Minister/PM of the north since partition

Options
  • 02-02-2024 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭

A woman on RTE this morning said she would be the first republican and first woman to hold the office.

That is obviously not correct, we all remember the delightful Arlene Foster.

But what she omitted to say was O'Neill would be the first Catholic. I'd be happy to stand corrected if there was a Catholic in the top job before, but I really don't think there was.

Sometimes RTE can be a bit tame about the north, but it is a huge moment if a Catholic can be leader, and I think they deliberately overlooked the significance of it on the radio.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think people now have started looking at NI as more than just Catholic or Protestant, and Catholic = Nationalist, Protestant = Unionists is an oversimplification.

O'Neill may be a Catholic but the policies her party support are ad odds with Catholic teachings.

Equally there are DUP members that have principles that closely adhere to Catholic teachings.

With the change in attitude to religion in both the north and south it's not as easy to put people in Catholic or Protestant boxes, even though religion is still a huge part of how the two communities developed and are identified.

Once again Rory McIllroy can be used as an example, brought up Catholic but you would struggle to describe him as a nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

She will have to get a much thicker skin going forward and not wasting time and money on frivilous lawsuits against journalists just because her poor little feelings were hurt on social media. If she isnt tough enough to take online abuse shes not up to the job. The Shinners seem to want total control of the media questions they are asked and how they are portrayed i wonder why..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's probably better to say she's the first nationalist in the top job...

• Registered Users Posts: 67,082 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's a massive day for all the Irish people who worked for it.

What was designed by skulduggery, subjugation and at times, force, to never happen has happened.

There will be much bitter raining on the parade but it will be water off backs. Another step on the road to equality and normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

And any sort of sensitive questioning as asked by the substitute host on today with Sarah mcinerney are just answered with a great big

DEFLECT

In this case a rather stupid question was put to to Pádraig about how the Jeffery Donaldson will feel now

And, predictably of course

Padraic simply

DEFLECTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Normal will include her using the name of the country she is the head of. Which seems not to be much of an issue for her? But her party hardliners from the Six Counties and the Twentysix Counties will probably never do it.

May 2022.

Sinn Féin vice-president Michelle O'Neill has said she does not get "too hung up" on what she calls Northern Ireland.

Ms O’Neill, who said she uses the term “North of Ireland” but referred to “Northern Ireland” in the Assembly earlier this month, said people should be “a bit relaxed about those things”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good take on these matters  & nail on the head.

It'll be a good photo op and bit of press for a few days. But really Francie, it would suit SF better to have a dysfunctional administration that they can point to as the failings of partition etc etc. I expect shenanigans to come and they'll be looking for another way to play the blame game and pin a walk out on the DUP.

The DUP will presumably be alive to this and try to avoid falling for it, if/ when Stormont falls again they'll be wanting to lay the blame firmly on SF.

So we may expect a lot of jockeying and maybe little enough being done after a while.

I don't and never have denied it is a failed statelet Furze. I don't expect it ever to be fixed so the sooner that is admitted and we look seriously at the fundamental cause - Partition, the better for all of us, here and in Britain and even further afield.

But that's not how it's going to pan out is it Francie? The unionist strategy now is to make sure that the people of NI feel that it is a good place to live, that there are benefits accruing to them from both London and Dublin, that they wouldn't get in any UI. The strategy will be to make the statelet as you put it, successful.

That's throwing down the gauntlet to SF - let's make this place work together etc will be the PR message.

And there are undeniable benefits to NI residents if they play the system smartly. Likewise partition may be odious down south here but the border also has it's practical benefits for us too. I saved €500 on coal this winter for example so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

When I arrived in the north in the 60s it was unthinkable that the place could be led by a Catholic. Things have come very far.

This is going to be a seriously bitter pill for many Protestants. The anti Catholic thing is bad enough, but O'Neill is also SF. The whole thing is genuinely devastating for lots of Protestants, but they've no option but to accept it.

Southerners might think it's a bit more evolved now, but basically Catholic does equal nationalist and Protestants are unionists. Of course there are exceptions but very few really. It's not like the FF-FG allegiances 30-40 years ago, it's way deeper.

In fairness to SF they haven't been crowing about breaking the sectarian ceiling, which is the right way for them to behave. There's no good in rubbing salt in the wounds.

I dunno how Donaldson can stomach going back to Stormont, I assumed they'd never go back prior to another election, and they'd at least have another go at finishing ahead of SF. It is going to be a seriously dark day for him. It's hard to see much point to Northern Ireland existing if the Taigs are going to be at the top table;) This is also very negative for dissident gobsh!tes, no one can realistically say Catholics are second class if a Catholic is first minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

This is probably better suited to the current affairs forum.

You mean Unionism have had a Paulian moment and will drop their blocking of agreed rights? Stop trying to get a return of their veto?

Really? You bought the 'let's make this place work all' line?

Ok. We'll see soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Couldn’t agree more, Bob. It’s a notable event but it’s just going to attract a certain “type” that would be better suited over there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It'd be better if everyone tried to make the place work. It's actually the best strategy for all sides. It's the only hope for unionists really, the numbers are not going in their direction. For SF etc, the opposition mightn't be as severe in 10-20 years if people can get on a bit.

SF will never admit it, but their glorious campaign only hardened attitudes, it really set Protestants against a united Ireland. I used to walk from the Falls to the Shankill before the Troubles with very few concerns. Afterwards there was real hatred of everything Catholic and Irish.

The 'one community was responsible for what happened in the north' theory is really worn out at this stage.

Also bizarre that you think 'real hatred of everything Catholic and Irish' only emerged AFTER the conflict/war. Go read up on why the conflict/war started in the first place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Online abuse is not acceptable for anyone in any profession, please don't normalize it.

It’s a worrying trait common with both the shinners and the far-right.

Both want to stifle the media, particularly RTÉ. They just want a curtailed news broadcast and a couple of shows like ‘Nationwide’ broadcast.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

That will be the unionist strategy, it's the best hope going forward to protect their interests. Make the place work, let people feel they have a good deal and benefiting from being in the UK (& EU by the back door). So that if any talk of a border poll emerges, the plain people will just go 'nah, we have it too good'!

The Shinners have a choice of either joining in the game and cultivating an image of success and power and 'sure, shouldn't you just join us across the border' or keeping NI a poxy place place to live with the message 'you'll be better off in a UI'.

Direct rule doesn't really suit either.

That will be the unionist strategy,

What you are announcing here is a complete volte face from how they have behaved over the last 100 years.

Can't wait to see it in action tbh.

Hah? I never said only one community was responsible for the conflict. But the IRA certainly played a major part in the whole thing, and it didn't help the campaign for ending partition.

No doubt there was some hatred of Catholics earlier, but it definitely went up several notches when the violence kicked off, that was my experience of Belfast in the 60s and 70s. I'd be very surprised if anyone of my age who was there disagreed.

• Advertisement

What do ya mean Francie? Unionism has always sought to make the six counties a comfortable place for themselves. This has previously been at the expense of others.

All they are adjusting to now, is the idea of making the six counties a comfortable place for themselves, whilst rubbing along with the neighbours.

Disaster for unionism would be having to join a UI and they have every right to be deeply suspicious of same given the evidence of the last 100 years.

Thank you for letting me live normally in my own city is it?

What you think enabled gerrymandering, and the deprivation of rights I shudder to think tbh.

So we'll see how they do that I suppose Furze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know you are a fanatical fan of Rome but NI has very little to do with religion these days. There are very few "staunch" Catholics in Ireland these days. Very few people that believe the bible or Rome's teaching or practice on a regular basis. Many people do see the damage that religion and the warped power associated with it caused on our island over the past few decades but thankfully we have moved past it although many survivors are still suffering.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

a puppet for the army council

neither she nor mlm can make a move or express an opinion with out checking with them first

have a look around the world and see what happens when terrorists and organized crime gangs get into government ...

The British played a major part in how the IRA conducted themselves. It’s estimated that half of the senior figures in the IRA were working for the Brits during the height of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

its the brits fault that the ira murdered and maimed so many innocents ?

keep pushing that emmet , its the attitude that will keep shinners out of government for another generation or two hopefully :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cnoc

What evidence do have about half of the senior IRA figures were working for the Brits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

She’s a bit of a tough old boot, but at least she’s not from the Adams, Kelly tradition. You can be sure the auld elder statesmen are still pulling the strings in the background though.

Advertisement