Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"They don't have the facilities"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, they don't generally like the flowery pattern on the duvets, so they choose to sleep in tents or doorways in freezing temperatures instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Or they don't like the drugs or general atmosphere or they want privacy or don't want support workers.

There was a really interesting documentary on the Gunness trust and the last bit was about the hostal they run, the number one thing the residents wanted was privacy and to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

That's a pretty childish comment to be making, you're essentially mocking that other poster for suggesting there are people sleeping rough who might not have to when this is clearly true. There are loads of rough sleepers who don't go near hostels for a vast myriad of reasons. Anyone who has volunteered or lived near these places will tell you the same......

Not allowed in if on drink or drugs, which rules out a huge percentage from the get go

Some sneak drink/drugs in and others don't want to be near that scene

The threat of violence

The threat of sexual assault

The threat of being robbed

The threat of sharing with a mentally unwell person

The fact that you have to check in fairly early in the evening, which means you can't be out begging during the hours where you're most likely to get a few bob and when the soup runs take place etc.

That's just a selection off the top of my head, but sure yeah, it's because of the patterns on the bedspread or some other snide BS you can come up with 🙄. There are countless other reasons. Didn't that guy who died in the Phoenix park have a rake of money in the bank and at least one property, if not multiple properties?

What was his opinion of the duvets, seeing as you're doing your best sneering Micheál Martin impression?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Speaking as somebody living in Dublin…. There are facilities everywhere.

Multiple sports clubs…soccer, GAA, Tennis, Golf, Pitch n Putt, swimming, athletics, snooker / pool, basketball, cycling, wall climbing, martial arts, cricket…. Yes, There is even a cricket club in Finglas now…! plus Clontarf

no facilities ? Maybe true 20/25 years ago, certainly not true now.

ok, for a person not sports oriented ? Maybe take up or take an interest in Art, cinema / acting, photography, woodworking/ furniture restoration,

literally not enough hours of free time to indulge probably in a quarter of those options….

Mon : free night, or do some art perhaps ?

Tue : swimming

Wed : soccer / GAA training

Thur : cinema

Fri : Art class

Sat : soccer / GAA match

Sun : free day or go play tennis ? Kick about in park ?

Up to parents to parent…. In tandem with one another… give lifts, other supports etc, take turns..

as with the above dummy scenario… it’s doable, yes, effort is required but I’m sitting here without a criminal record I can say that much…I had a busy, active, constructive childhood, thankfully….encouraged, brought places, introduced to stuff like sports, scouting, art etc… I couldn’t paint my way out of a dulux factory but it was fun trying, good craic with other kids and a great teacher…

id blame parents before I’d blame no facilities, because there ARE both, the effort does have to be made, organise, enquire, communicate and parent ..,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You seem to have misinterpreted my angle, but regardless, you're absolutely correct on the reasons why some people don't use hostels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is like asking why there is less violence at a GAA match than a soccer match. A big part of it is community - everyone knows everyone and they know what is going on and who the likely lads are when things go wrong. And certainly in the countryside we had problem kids in my time, which is about fifty years ago. We had the countryside to play in not a concrete jungle plus plenty of little jobs to do on the far to keep us out of trouble.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Almost every single activity you have suggested there costs money plus giving lifts = having a car. Not every household has the money for activities 6-7 days a week plus the money to run a car, never mind own one and pay the insurance on it. Nice ideas but you are assuming a certain level of disposable income not available to all parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

true.

but very little in life is free. For anyone of any age.

im not suggesting that everything everyday in that scenario would be attainable.

but there are options for parents….as outlined…. The vast vast majority or urban and suburban areas have facilities…

Advertisement