Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a security code for an Astra H

Options
  • 29-01-2024 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions around this. it's a 2011 Astra H estate

From reading online, It seems like I can get a new security code (car pass?) from an Opel dealer, what do I need to provide to them? Any idea of a cost?

The car is an import, not imported by us, I'm not sure we have any documentation with the original reg. Does this complicate things? Car was brought in by the garage we bought it off, but it was 9 years ago or something like that.

The reason I want the code is to add cruise control to my wifes car which I will be shortly inheriting. I did this before on my own Astra H . But I was thinking about it today, if the dealer asks me why I want the code, something we haven't needed in the 9 years we've owned the car, I actually don't have a good reason to tell them! As I assume adding it myself with a cheap opcom device is some form of piracy!

Would appreciate any input!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Send me the VIN and I can try get it for you. I still have contacts in Opel but only if its an Opel - if its a Vauxhall its a lot more difficult to get these days but I can try for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It is a Vauxhall unfortunately! If you wouldn't mind trying that would be great! I'll pm you the vin shortly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If you are adding something on from a donor car Ill probably need the Vin from that one aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I feel like a bit of a dope :)

I went to get the VIN for Hellrazer and I went to the folder my wife keeps for her car to get it off something in there rather than looking in the car. And I see there is some documentation from the leasing company that owned it prior to us and I thought "oh great this will probably have the old UK reg on it if thats needed" and I read through it and there is a 4 digit "radio code". And sure enough I tried it with the knock-off opcom thing I have and it worked!

8 years we have gone without cruise control in that car, my wife was meant to get the code off the fella we bought the car from but it was put on the long finger and we never had the code as far as we were aware.

Successfully installed cruise control into this evening in about 20 mins or so. It has all the wiring and pedal switches etc, the only thing it needs is a new indicator stalk and to be told it has it in car computer. Even followed my guide from 11 years ago

Advertisement