Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installing Cruise Control in an Astra H

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

So I am about to get a 08 1.3 Diesel Astra H. And I've been doing some reading up about adding cruise control to it, seems like it is quite easy/cheap.

Crappy music, but it basically explains it:

Seems like all the diesels anyways have all the wiring required (including brake and clutch switches) so literally all there is to do is change the indicator stalk to the one that has cruise control (about €40 on ebay.)

After the stalk is added you need to enable the cruise control via the diagnostic interface. This is where I am a bit confused. Im not sure exactly what sort of reader I should be getting. Tech2 and OB2 are mentioned but any ones i see on ebay are only good for up to 2004 models. Does anyone know what reader I should be buying?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ok so i think (hope) i figured it out, you need to get a reader than supports "CAN-BUS" based diagnostics (whatever that means)

So I pulled the trigger on this one, hopefully its the right one!

I ordered that Cruise control stalk too, so I'll update again once all arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have a Zafira B, hoping i can add this, so following how you get on, does that Diagnostic Scanner read codes as well and clear them? interested to see also if that's any good, thanks?

I believe so... I've never used one before so im not exactly sure what it can and cant do.

One thing i do know is to enable the cruise control you will need to have the cars security code. It can be found on a credit card sized Opel/Vauxall Id card (or something)

vauxhallcarpass2.jpg

That is not one from an astra by the looks of things (i think the security codes are only 4 digits) but the layout of the card looks similar to that

EDIT:

I assume the Zafira can have this added too, the stalk is the same anyways. I guess one thing to figure out is do you have the clutch switch (All diesel astras apparently have it, I assume its the same for Zafira. Google it and see what pops up.

I'll post back here once I get the stuff, the OpCom is coming from China so I dont expect to see that for a while!

The stalk can be installed without enabling the cruise control, but the cruise control just wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have op-com and find it very good....never installed c/control but it is possible to do....here are a few manuals...;)
    http://opcomforum.yolasite.com/guides-and-info.php

Thanks! That is much handier than trying to make out a shaky youtube video of someone filming their laptop! Really looking forward to giving it a go now!

• Advertisement

Ok I got that indicator stalk I linked to earlier in the thread.

I replaced that very easily actually. I didnt even have to unscrew the surround. just dislodge the rubber, fold it back over the indicator. at the bottom of the stalk there is a plastic track, stick a small long object along that track (needs to be about 2-3 inches, i used a tiny allen key), it takes a bit of effort to dislodge the clip, but you'll know by the allen key when you have gotten under it. Just pull it out then.

Pop in the other one and fit back in the rubber casing stuff, easy peasy :)

OP-com is on the slow boat from China so isnt here yet, so I have not actaully enabled the cruise control, but the stalk works fine :)

Ok so my opcom reader came today.

First struggle was to install the drivers, the main opcom driver installed fine from the disc, but an additional device, usb to serial, didnt seem to want to install. After searching around I just said I'd chance it that the main one would be enough.

The version of opcom on the disk worked without much hassle. Although the "Chinese Clone" heading on the top of it was a bit suspicious!

To enable the cruise control I did the following:

Edit: I'm not sure what stage it is but when it gets to the port selection page select CAM

Click Diagnostics

Select the year

Select the Model

Select "Engine" (Im going to call this part selection screen)

Select your engine version

It should show some diagnostic info. If it doesnt make sure your key is in (I had mine turned to last step before turning on the engine)

Click "Programming"

Click "Programming Variant Configuration"

Change the 'not present' cruise control to 'present' then press 'Perform coding'

Close the windows to you are back to the part selection window

Select "Body"

Select "IPC ECU"

Click "Programming"

Enter the 4 digit security code.

keep pressing next until you come to the option 'cruise control' and change 'not' present to present.

Click program and answer yes.

Close the windows to you are back to the part selection window

Select "Body"

Select "CIM"

Click "Programming"

Enter the 4 digit security code.

keep pressing next until you come to the option 'cruise control' and change 'not' present to present.

press next until you get to 'Country Code' Select Great Britain. (Not sure if this part is essential)

Click program and answer yes.

That should be it, to test go back to part selection menu.

Select "Engine" and then your engine code.

I cant exactly remember this one, but it think its measuring block or output test.

Go to "Additional sensors 1" I think. Click next block until you see cruise control

Click your cruise control button, if its working it will display on screen.

And thats it! There seems to be some sort of minimum speed to enable cruise control so you wont be able to test it in the driveway or anything :)

A green light will turn on your dash when CC is on

EDIT: I know that seems like a lot of steps, but it only takes about 5 mins to do

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sweet, perfect write up!

CC often won't work under 30mph as they're intended for motorways and such and not slow city driving.

Cheers.

I might tidy it up a bit and throw it into a blog with some screen shots, but it was very cold last night and I didnt want to go back to the car :)

If anyone has any questions about any of it give me a shout and I'll do my best to help.

Once you have all the parts its a 10 minute job and it cost less than €60 for the opcom and the stalk. Plus the opcom should be useful to have lieing around.

After a couple of weeks of enjoying cruise control it wouldnt turn on this morning. So need to do some investigating this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

After a couple of weeks of enjoying cruise control it wouldnt turn on this morning. So need to do some investigating this evening

Had you the car in the main dealers for a service...?
    If so then they may have preformed an engine download which may have reset the config back to its default settings.
    If not then it maybe a clutch/brake switch or abs sensor problem.

Well I did have in shortly after I installed it as I got a "voucher" for a second key, but it has been working since.

Oddly enough I went out for lunch there and it was working again, so im not sure what was up with it this morning. There was no warning lights or anything.

Maybe it was just a bit cold and the cruise control didnt feel like getting up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

When I installed it in my Astra h it would have the odd moody as well. Turn off and on the car and it usually sorted.
    It also won't work if you haven't used the brake since starting the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6 genyass

Well I did have in shortly after I installed it as I got a "voucher" for a second key, but it has been working since.

Oddly enough I went out for lunch there and it was working again, so im not sure what was up with it this morning. There was no warning lights or anything.

Maybe it was just a bit cold and the cruise control didnt feel like getting up :)

Hey...thinking of fitting cruise control to my own 08 Astra 1.7cdti (diesel). Been following the thread - great advice. Anything you would recommend or do differently since completing the job?

also - here's the parts i'm thinking -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRA-H-ZAFIRA-B-CRUISE-CONTROL-STALK-VXR-CDTI-SRI-/370639938791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall&hash=item564bdca4e7

&

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350926966840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

any thoughts?

Advertisement