Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for first licence in Ireland, advice much appreciated.

Options
  • 27-01-2024 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello guys. I'm looking at getting a licence here in Ireland.

I've a few question's.

Where can I do the firearms safety course. I'm based in the North of Donegal?

Are there any shops you recommend in buying from?

Can I apply for a semi auto .22, such as the Ruger 10/22 on my first application?

Are lever action rifles and pump action rifles legal here to own?

Are pump, lever and semi shot guns ok to apply for?

If I'm granted a licence do I need to put a crossbow on the licence?

I've held licences in Australia, so I apologise for all the questions. I've tried to search for these answers but It's only confused me.

I've permission from my uncle, for using his land for target shooting, plinking and having fun.

Any advice is much appreciated. Hope ur all having a good weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

For the firearms safety course I would recommend joining the NARGC via a local gun club (their website will have a list of clubs near you) and doing one of the safety courses run my them. However if you've held licenses in Australia then you probably don't need to do the safety course once you show the Garda a copy of your old licence.

I'm based in Munster so can't comment on shops in Ulster I'm afraid.

Yes you can apply for everything you have listed up above. Only things you can't get anymore are centerfire pistols (rimfire pistols can still be licensed) or semi auto centerfire rifles (semi auto rimfires like the Ruger can also still be licensed with no issues).

You need a license for each individual firearm with a good reason for each one. You will not be granted a license for plinking on your uncles land. Licenses for target shooting will only be granted to members of target shooting clubs so you'll have to join one and show proof to the Garda again. You will however be granted a license for hunting small game on your uncles land, or better yet being a member of a gun club (gun club in this context means a hunting club).

Crossbows are legally a firearm so you'd need a good reason again to apply for one. The only thing I can think of would be membership of an archery club but I don't know of anyone who has a crossbow so I can't comment really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Crossbows are legally a firearm so you'd need a good reason again to apply for one. The only thing I can think of would be membership of an archery club but I don't know of anyone who has a crossbow so I can't comment really.

Courtesy of another "whoopsie" of Irish firearms legislation they are in the "Restricted category" of firearms. Same as our "weapons mountable" night vision devices. So you need a very good reason to own one and get the chief superintendent to sign off on your license. So if you are going to go to the bother of owning some medieval technology that costs as much as a good multi-shot pump or semi auto shotgun with the same, and even more restriction on usage here. As you can't hunt with one here, archery clubs that use Xbows are very few and far between. Unless you are into medieval reenactment perhaps it's a not very useful device to have here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daveluzbo

Cheers mate, for taking the time to reply. I guess I'll state vermin control, then. I do enjoy eating rabbit😅

So a licence for every gun and not a gun added to the licence. I guess that means more taxes towards the gov. Haha

I take it I'm best to apply for either a shot gun or .22 first. Then add to that.

I'll look into a club and doing the course. I don't have an aussie license anymore. I just wanted to say, so no one thinks I'm a newbie.

Cheers again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

Plinking and having fun are not allowed in this country 😂

Haha, yeah I gathered that now.

Can I not just state, I love guns. I love how they work, smell and work. Can I identify as one? 😅

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Apply for whatever you want once you can justify it. The first gun I bought was a .308 for deer hunting. I had my good reason for wanting that type of gun and the Garda duly granted the license with no trouble once I had all my paperwork in order.

For vermin shooting a shotgun would probably be the most versatile. You'll be able to get a double barrel or a pump action/ semi auto (pumps and semis are limited to 3 shots on normal licenses).

If you want to shoot foxes then a bolt action .22 Hornet or .223 would be the best tool.

If it's mostly rabbits with the occasional fox then a .22lr or .22 Magnum in either a manual action or semi auto would be a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

That'll probably get your application declined.. even though it's true for most licence holders. 🙄😔

Join the appropriate club, get a gun safe, apply for both a 22 and 12g at the same time. As long as neither is a restricted firearm, you should be fine.

Depending on the size of your uncle's farm you may not even need to join a club, as there may be adequate land (size of farm, can be a factor), and reason for requiring both firearms, there.

However, anyone with an intetest, and who is new to the location, might like to meet a few fellow licence holders, so clubs do bring benefits, like networking, not just the facilities provide.

You'll pick up a safe for reasonable money, they are also sold second hand, so keep an eye on this website, amongst other places.

There's a buy & sell section here, if you haven't seen it, already:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/shooting-for-sale-wanted

Welcome on board 👍

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Alway buy a deep safe, 30cm/12 inches deep. For a rifle with a scope mounted on it. Otherwise the safe will only hold half the amount of guns they say it can.

So a 4 gun small safe will just take a scoped rifle diagonally in it, and maybe a shotgun as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Buy a safe, buy a bigger safe than you think you need, if you want 3 guns, buy a 5 gun safe!

I'm kicking myself now that I've only a 3 gun safe, its tight!

Thanks lads for the replies. I was expecting to get roasted for not searching for the answers before posting. But ur not a bad bunch after all, haha. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

This link on you tube shows how to fill the document digitally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's a long read and an old post but here and here are two threads with plenty of info to help you get started on filling out the FCA1 and how to include the additional information needed.

If you need help with any part just come back here and ask. Someone will help you out.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement