Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle club or Gun Club

Options
  • 27-01-2024 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm in the process of applying for a gun licence for a rifle, on the application it want me to state my membership of a rifle/pistol club. I looked about online at memberships for rifle club and there fair pricey if I was only interested in target shooting only I'd go for it but I'm looking to do some vermin control so I don't really want to join a rifle club for €600 Plus and only use it the odd time . What I'm asking is would a local gun club do or and I forced to join the rifle/ pistol club.

Thanks

Answers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you marked the application (FCA1) with your intent to target shoot then you MUST be a member of an authorised range. It's a prerequisite and as target shooting may only be done on an authorised range your "dead ended" there.

However if you want the firearm for hunting or vermin you need not be a member of a range. You would provide land permissions you have or alternatively you can provide proof of membership to a gun club.

Gum clubs differ from ranges in that a range is for target shooting and is governed by a specific set of laws and must pay a yearly fee for its license and be open to inspection. A gun club is a group of people that have access to common ground/lands for the purpose of hunting or vermin control. They don't have license fees attached to their being, and don't have the same set of laws and rules to follow as a range.

The caveat being no target shooting in a gun club and no hunting on a range.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dm1234

Thanks a million for getting back to me , great help

Advertisement