Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age requirement

Options
  • 27-01-2024 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

What is the age your allowed to bring a child to a shooting range like the Midlands National Shooting Center of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I'm not sure about minimum age, but you can apply for a training licence from Age 14, so they must be able to cater for 14 year olds.

I'd like to think that there is some sort of arrangement at all clubs for young people to come along and observe, in a controlled and safe environment, but I'm certainly not seeing it at my own club, and think it's very bad for the future of the sport.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no legal minimum age for ranges, afaik.

Some ranges may place restrictions on the age of children on a range and even if they allow children they may impose age restrictions with regard to where children can go (for example prohibiting children from being on the full bore range) or apply conditions such as ear buds AND defenders for any children on any range.

Children, I believe, are more susceptible to hearing damage than adults plus most hearing damage is irreversible so to have hearing damage at a young age is a life sentence so ranges do this for safety and protective reasons.

It goes without saying no unsupervised children and anyone under a certain age may not be allowed in on their own. For example if a 12 year rocked up without a parent or guardian they may be refused entry.

The law allows for young people (as well as anyone of any age) to be able to shoot on a range, under supervision, because without the ability for ranges to be able to accommodate youngsters the sport would stall. I mean it someone had to be 16 or older and be licensed on a firearm just to try out the sport many would not attempt it. Section 2(4)(d) allows for people to shoot, under supervision, using a non restricted firearm on a range (and only on a range).

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 6.5x55 seller ammo

Harbour House banned under 16s a year or so ago. Midlands seemed to have no issue with my nephew (15 at the time) coming along to shoot under my supervision.

Youngsters between 14 and 16 that could be licensed under a training license and legally allowed to shoot, what do they do if they attend HH?

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Was in harbour house over the weekend and they said its for 14 and over.

That would make more sense.

I think it's really important that every club / range be able to accommodate anyone from 14 years of age.

In fact, I'd go a step further, and say that every club, and every range, should be going out of their way, to try and attract young people into the sport - be it via dedicated training days, subsidised lessons, clays, ammo etc.

Everyone needs to be investing in the future of the sport, and what better way, than by investing in the next generation?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

To accomadate underage members of any sporting organisation where an individual is under the age of 18 there has to be a framework for child protection, thats the law.

To stop issues arrising some clubs set a minimum age limit as they are unwilling to accomadate juniors or the clubs / ranges are unable to to fulfill their legal obligations & requirements.

BTW this applys to game clubs aswell as ranges.

Post edited by LIFFY FISHING on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I understand why that framework needs to be there. But do you know what defines a “sporting organisation” for that purpose?

I mean, If somebody was to being their two nephews bowling. I imagine that go, pay a fee, and bowl a few games.

obviously bowling doesn’t require licensing, membership, etc. I’m not suggesting it’s the same. I just wonder if there’s a solution that affords youths protection, but doesn’t prevent then from taking part.

• Advertisement

This is not in any way exclusive to any sporting group or organisation, it is the legal requirement under the supervision of minors, all groups, ie sports, drama, music, arts etc are all required to have reporting proceedures ,appointed DLP persons and Garda vetting specific to that club, group or organisation.

Tusla have very specific requirements in place regarding this matter. Sadly it is mostly ignored with our sport, I know first hand of one county sporting council who wont discuss this matter tru ignorance and been afraid of what it entails...this matter will come to the fore sooner than later.. it's a pity that our sport will not endevour to follow legal legislation to protect minors..

IMO precluding under 18's from our sporting ranges, both target & clay grounds by clubs is a cop out by operators

Post edited by LIFFY FISHING on

That's a very good point.

That's where the likes of the NARGC, the NASRPC etc. need to play their part. They could provide training, expertise and other shared resources, with all of their members chipping in to cover costs.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I in no way suggested it was exclusive to shooting. I'm aware of the set up in other large sports. I'm simply asking (as you seem to be familiar with the legislation) at which point does it kick in. As obviously it's not doing any sport what so ever. as Bowling, going to the driving range, all golfing actually, etc, are all sports, that occur with minors relatively unsupervised. I'm sure there are other. And I highly doubt the GUI are breaching the law on the matter (I imagine it apples for any Golf academy or the like)

Might interest you to know ( if you are in the Kildare area) , after many many years of the position not ben filled , I read the other day that a lad from the Hunting podcast, Anthony ? has taken on the position of " Youth developement officer " for the Kildare NARGC region. No doubt he would have all the uptodate legislation / knowledg regarding Garda vetting and child protection legislation requirements for clubs as part of his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

Thanks everyone for their comments and interesting discussions

Advertisement