Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most dangerous destination by Ryanair

Options
  • 26-01-2024 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

So what's the most dangerous location I can get to, by budget airline, which has a direct connection to Ireland?

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Tel aviv?

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Madeira, rated in the top ten I believe, was there, sharp turn shortly before landing on a short enough landing strip, thankfully it was a calm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I thought they flew there, my mistake.

How about Rome? Just walk into a Lazio neighbourhood wearing a Roma jersey when you get there

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Terminal 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭nachouser

Blackpool. Fly into Manchester and get a train. 679 violent crimes per 10k. Get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Doctor: So it appears you're suffering from Dublin Airportitis.

Patient: What? That doesn't seem like a serious diagnosis!

Doctor: No, I'm afraid it's a terminal one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chisinau, if you'll fly on another low cost carrier than Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Naples is a dangerous kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

London

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭taratee

Naples if you are going with Ryanair. Marrakesh isn't overly dangerous but the local scammers there are on another level. It feels very dodgy at times. Chisinau is a really good shout. Tel Aviv is one of the safest cities you'll ever visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've already been there and it felt very safe.

🙈🙉🙊

In all fairness, the US Department of State issue a "Security Alert" every time someone farts in a foreign city.

Here's one for London in December because (checks notes) it was Christmas.

In October, they issued one for the entire world

They should probably pay a bit more attention to their domestic crime situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

If "danger" was defined as "injuries sustained while at destination" Madeira is likely the top spot, given all of the mountain biking tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you been there in the last 3 months and 19 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Going to Marrakesh in 3 weeks with Ryanair. Good shout. Any tips to deal with the filth welcome. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's hard, but ignoring people you don't want to interact with is key. They're all trying to get you into their shop and can be really persistent and in some cases aggressive. If you're good at ignoring them they'll just move on to the next person that isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

El Al had direct flights from Dublin to Tel Aviv last year. 3 a week.

But it's one of the safest cities I know of. Pricey these days though.

Naples is as sketchy as hell... but fantastic too.

I was considering Chisinau for a cheap city break... might reconsider now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Did a quick google but couldn't find any direct flights to Chisinau from Ireland.

🙈🙉🙊

I was in Agadir about 20 years ago. The lengths they will go to to get you to buy something small are unbelievable. Do not believe a word anyone says to you.

Got a taxi at the hotel one evening and asked to be brought to the local souk. Taxi driver told us is was closing in a few minutes, but there was another that was open later a bit outside town. So we said ok. 20 minutes later, sure enough we arrive at this souk. He says he’ll wait outside for us.

we head in and are looking around and no-one is bothering us at all, which feels suspicious in itself. We’re the only westerners in the place. Next thing this guy comes up and asks if we’re Irish. We say we are. He asked if we speak Irish. We do, a bit. What luck, he exclaims! He used to live in Tallaght, he mentions the street address (a valid one), says he stayed there for months with a lovely family, and he’s always wanted to write them a letter in Irish, and asks can we help him. So we say ok, and he leads us over to his stall and into a room at the back. He offers us tea, gives us a pen and paper and starts dictating this letter to Mary and Michael, about how much he enjoyed staying with them, and how he misses them.

As soon as we’re done, we go to get up, but five guys come into the room carrying various items. They lay my them all out on the table, and basically “invite” us to purchase whatever we want. We say we’re grand, but while they’re not intimidating or forcing us there, they’re making it physically difficult to leave simply by crowding the small room. So I pick up a bag of tea and buy it for maybe two quid. Next thing, as if by magic, the taxi driver appears at the door. He “somehow” knew exactly where we were, and that we had bought all we were going to. “Come, time to go”, he says, and we’re ushered out.

I look back and see the guy crumple up the letter we wrote for him while tidying up the table. On the drive back to the hotel, we pass the local souk we wanted to go to, and it’s still bustling with life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah, looking there now and it's not up. Pretty sure it was on last year.

Iasi in the east of the country is on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Carcassonne. The location of the airport is never the same from one day to the next, since they take up all the landscape tiles at the end of the day and lay them out again randomly the next day. Sometimes there isn't even a meeple in the control tower, so the pilots have to keep an eye out for other planes while landing.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Incredible!

I have a 6 day trip with a triangle of Marrakech, Agadir and Essouira in February. This is making me sound a bit aprehensive. Maybe I shouldn't bring anything valuable, like my camera...

I even found the ones in Rome to be intolerable but this sounds like it's on another level.

It was over 20 years ago, but I never felt unsafe there at all. It was back in the film days, but I took my camera everywhere and got some great photos. Just that they’re out for a quick buck at absolutely every opportunity. But it’s business, not crime.

For some reason (and I can’t for the life of me remember why) we had to visit the British Honorary Consulate in Agadir. He told us that he didn’t smoke, but he always had packets of cigarettes on him, because in any interaction, they expected some kind of token “gift” to be handed over.

The only place I was ever robbed was Berlin. Had 4 grand worth of cameras, lenses and laptop stolen from a locked 4th floor apartment while we ate at a restaurant right across the road. Our Irish home insurance covered it.

got followed by an obvious thief in Barcelona. He was about 30 feet away, but clearly following us. I had a film camera with a long lens at the time. I made it very obvious that I was taking pictures of him, and then very blatantly removed the film, held it up to show him, and put it in my inside jacket pocket - basically to say “I see you, and I can identify you”. He shrugged and walked off.

my wife had a point-and-shoot camera stolen from literally in front of her face in Havana, Cuba. She was in the middle of taking a photo, and had the strap around her wrist. 2 guys on a moped sped by, cut the strap with a knife and snatched the camera without even stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Barcelona? I know more people who have been robbed there than those who haven't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's like six a week. HiSky is the main airline, also FlyOne

• Advertisement
Advertisement