Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Purely EV households

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Two EVs, classic Ioniq and Model 3

Each of us does about 30 km per day, so the Ioniq is charged every 3-4 days, Tesla every 6-7, always on night-rate electricity.

If I'm down around 50%, I'll ask my wife if she wants the charger that night, since I can wait to use it the next night.

If we mess up or someone goes on an unexpected longer journey, then we can always charge during the evening up to bedtime, which is usually enough, then plug the other car in.

No need to move cars about, as the cable can reach both.

Fast charging only on longer journeys, and only as needed to ensure getting home with a bit of a buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

58 kW id3 and (30 - 3 kW leaf): one zappi and one eternal socket beside it, charge as required, mainly at night rate, 40k km pa 1 charger never an issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ioniq (28kw) and EV6 here. OH does most driving in the EV6, he commutes to work and tends to do 1-2 long journeys a week outside of work whereas I work from home so the Ioniq is more of a runaround for shops, classes, gym, etc. We have one 7kw home charger which is more than enough, on the rare occasion I am going on a longer journey I will make sure to plugin for an overnight charge on night rate the night before. Other than that I can charge from solar during the day when possible. EV6 gets charged for a few hours over night a few times a week depending on extra curricular trips. It works absolutely fine for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

Model y and model 3. 50km / day some longer journeys. 1 hypervolt 7kw. 2 hour electric ireland night time charge at 11 cents. I plug in 2 nights in a row for 2 hours, she plugs in 2 nights 2 hours. If long journey, i can extend charging time on charger app for another couple of hours at slightly higher rate to fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

I normally just charge using my 7.2kw dedicated Ev charger
    tonight I will most likely need to use the 7.2 charger and also my external 3 pin socket - which is on its own dedicated 20 amp fuse

I presume there is no issue with this, like the max load will be 10kw etc and limited use otherwise (fridge etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭fafy

i3 & E Niro here.Luckily herself charges the Niro at work around 95 % of time. I only charge every 7 to 10 days, as low annual mileage. Currently on d/n tarriff, so all ev charging, heat pump water heating, appliances, are done up to 8am.

Am getting 15kw batteries installed soon, so that may change things slightly, as they DC charge at 5kw, allthough they won’t always be empty, EV charging is 7kw, Heat pump water heating is about 2.5kw, other appliances vary. However, am also moving smart meter tariff to either Pinergy EV Drivetime, 3 hours per night (2 to 5am)at 5.45 cent inc vat, or Energia Smart Drive, 4 hours per night(2 to 6am) at 7.54 cent inc vat.

My A2 EV charger will load balance automatically, when the demand is high, so don’t see any issues here, as it reduces down the EV charging slightly, when total demand exceeds around 10 kw. This will mean i may have to charge EV from empty to full over 2 nights, to maximise the low night rates, but not an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

Should be no problem, as posted earlier, kona on Zappi @ 7kw, Leaf on socket at 2ish, battery on charge at 3kw and heat pump for heating / hotwater and dishwasher all in the 2 - 6 cheap EV rate. Just above 13kwh per hour between 2 and 6 ( total 50kWh for the 4 hours). ( 11kWh exported so far today so today will end up being a credit day :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I draw just over 15kW for 3 hours constantly every single night between 2AM and 5AM. On a 12kVA MIC. No problem. It helps if you have the myenergi eco system, as it will automatically load balance and make sure you buy the maximum of super cheap electricity every night. In my case I pay just 5c / kWh and dump it back into the grid straight after and they pay me 25c / kWh 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Two EV household.

2022 Fiat 500E, 2024 Volvo EX30

One charger (EO Mini)

Have cheap rate with Bord Gais 2am to 5am and that looks after all our charging needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

3 EV household BTW. Tesla Model S, BMW i3 and an old Leaf, bought for my daughters to learn to drive in and keep, but they think it is too big, so that's for sale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement