Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Purely EV households

Options
  • 26-01-2024 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if there are many on here that are purely EV households.

If so, do you have 1 charger or 2?

Is it manageable with the 1 charger only?

I guess it all depends on your use case, one car may do all the long journeys and the other as a runaround, or maybe both cars are doing 150km per day etc

did anyone change to a purely EV household and then switch one of the cars back to petrol/diesel etc

any comments welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1 charger only. Pointless having 2 unless you have 3 phase as you’d have to daisy chain them or restrict them to 16a each anyway.

Charger every other day or when required.

Use one car with granny cable.

swap cables etc

Loads of ways to make it work unless you both have big battery cars and both need 100% of that battery to get out and get home every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

2 EV household here now! Won't be going back to ICE or PHEV.

No dedicated charger, just an outside socket for granny charging which never gets used, it did when had the PHEV but useless for the BEVs, especially the 95kwh car haha.

But will do all the charging in work for free on an 11kwh charger, I'll bring in whichever car needs it the most urgently. Have the etron in today, had the Born in yesterday. Herself is working from home so I doubt the Born even got used. The etron will take about 6 hours to go from 20% back to full and the born takes about 4 hours.

Will be at least Wednesday next week before either needs charging again I'd say.

Was charging once a week, will be up to twice a week in work now with the 2 cars. Cant foresee a situation both need charging the same day, if they do, its off to to the fast chargers we go.

If I was charging at home, no way would I have 2 chargers.

I know of a 3 x BEV household now, husband, wife, grown up daughter, 1 zappi 7kw charger does them fine.

All 77kwh VW cars in that household.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks, how do you use one with a 3 pin plug/granny cable? I suppose you have a type 2 charger. have you some adapter for the granny cablle? or do you just mean you use another standard 2.2 kwh socket

You plug the 3 pin plug into an external socket. Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

2 ev. main one does approx 1000k a week so it is charged most nights from 2 - 6 on the energia EV rate , leaf is connected to granny charger which has a home assistant compatible socket so it turns on from 2 - 6. Battery get 12kwh in over the 4 hours also so on most nights use close to 55KWH at the reduced rate.

Zappi - 28kwh, Granny Charger ~8kWh, Battery 12kWh, heatpump / hot water / dishwasher all run at ev rate

• Advertisement

right, so in your house, you essentially have 2 options available

• a standard 3.6/7.2 EV charger
    • an external socket

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Two evs. Just get a nice long charger cable circa 8 m so you can reach each car ,irrespective of which car is parked closer to the charger .

no messing moving cars later then .

measure it out in your driveway.

Currently on D/N plan . Using a single phase 7 kw standard charger.

charge each one twice a week or so , depending

no issues managing it .

Possibly worth looking at ev smart drive plan as others mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

We have two also, just one charger. Doesn’t really require much management.

I’ve only got a roughly 30kWh battery and don’t do much mileage so top it up once or twice a week overnight.

Herself has work charging (thankfully from a cost point of view) so her 80+kWh battery rarely gets filled at home. But she was off work over Christmas and driving all over the place so needed juice a few times, wasn’t a problem.

Yes. I’d assume that’s what would be available to any household.

Socket can be fitted easily.

Charger obviously depending.

• Advertisement

+1

I have a long enough cable that I can reverse in both cars and the one cable can reach both without moving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1 full EV

1 PHEV

1 charger

Manage fine with mix of home and work charging.

Edit: forgot to add, won't ever go back to a full petrol or diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

2 EVs here.

Leaf 24 & Model 3.

Leaf used as a run-around and short commutes. Charged mostly once per week.

Model 3 used for my work commute. Charged twice a week.

Type 2, 7kW charger and an outdoor socket in the front garden. Also have an adapter to use the charger on the Leaf. Upgraded from a 5m CABLE TO A 7.5m so both cars can be plugged in no matter where they are parked in the garden. The Leaf can granny charge from empty to full while the Model 3 iss plugged into the main charger.

I just saw who the OP is after writing this 😁. I'll leave it here for anyone elses benefit 🙈

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Two EV household here for the last 2 years.

No issues for us, we each charge our car about once a week, so just take turns using the one charger as needed.

A small bit of thought for scenarios like "I need a full charge on Friday night so you charge Thursday night" kinda situations, but that's pretty rare.

We've done a combined 70,000 kms in that time with no issues. It works for us at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭fafy

We have 2 EV’s, one 40kw(my one), one 66kw, herself has the bigger one. And she charges 95 % at work, but even if that was not the case, one Home charger is more than enough, the only ultra rare exception, would be where both have very high mileage daily commutes, which does not apply, to the vast majority of people.

In summer, i only charge once every 10days, in winter about weekly, due to the cold temperture range drop, but my annual mileage is lowish, at about 8,500 kms annually.

We do most of the long journeys in the bigger EV.

We hardly ever use public charging, maybe 3 or 4 times per annum.

I’d recommend a tethered charger, and i use a 5 metre cable, and the 7kw wall charger, is positioned centrally , so it can charge either EV, as parked both side by side in driveway, that was only achievable, by routing the ev cable from consumer unit, (located at rear of house) in through the dowstairs toilet.

Think about the location of the charger carefully, to facilitate as much flexibility as possible, so you minimise having to move cars etc. if you can’t park side by side, then it might be better for flexibility - if 2 EV’s, to go for a longer cable.

Adding:

i also have an external weatherproof domestic socket, located close to the EV charger, but have never in 2.5 years of having 2 EV’s, used it for charging one of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

3 EVs here, Model 3, Funky Cat, leaf 24. The leaf is my daily local car so that's plugged in on a dedicated 10a 3 pin outside plug, and with its limited range it's always plugged in. During the summer it charges on solar and in winter it is on a timer to charge overnight only.

I then have a 32A Tesla Wallbox, a 32A CEE plug with a type2 cable attached, and a 16A CEE cable with a Tesla UMC permanently plugged in. The garage has a 60A fuse and is on a separate main consumer unit from the house, so the 2 CEE plugs are on a different circuit than the Tesla wallbox and the 10A outside plug. I can plug 2 cars in at once, as long as if the 2 32A are in use, that neither of the others are. Despite having a 12kva connection we have an 80A main fuse separated into 2 63a consumer units (legacy was 2 separate supplies) .

The tesla is smart that, if the voltage drops due to high load, it derates to 24A, so I never go above the max anyway.

I'm hoping to add a fourth EV soon.

The house we bought had this setup (with the exception of the Tesla wallbox) already wired in, it has a large garage and was used for industrial use, but it's proven absolutely perfect for multiple EVS!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tesla Model y and Leaf here.

Leaf is used for school runs, local runs etc.

Tesla is used for work when I have to go in c. 300km round trip and assuming I dont have any outside meetings is usually good for up and down on 95% motor way.

Charing hasnt been an issue yet. One plug and just have the manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭oinkely

Two evs and a small driveway. Can just squeeze the two on the driveway at the same time as one is a citroen c zero and very narrow. leaf charges from ev charger every night cause we use most of its 24 kw every day. The c zero charges from an outside socket with granny charger, probably every other night. No hassle at all, other than the car dance if the c zero is on the drive and I need to get it out with the leaf there as i have to move the leaf first. First world problems for sure. Having 40kw split over tow vehicles suits us really well with all the running around after the kids. We do have a diesel car for caravan towing duties etc but that sits outside the house for weeks at a time during school terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Pure EV 1 car house here with a tethered home charger, not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭tlaavtech

One Leaf 24kW (daughters short daily commute) and 33kW BMW i3 for the last year. One Zappi with 7m cable. Both cars fit in the driveway side by side. Plug-in usually on a first come, first charged basis. We both usually plug in a day earlier than necessary. If there is a clash we discuss. Have the option to granny charge at the same time but never needed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Two EVs.

Wife has an ID4.

I had an i4 and now a Byd Seal.

Zero issues with both charging.

I charge once a week in winter, surplus solar via Zappi in summer.

Wife has access to 11kw charger in work as well so that helps.

Ignore all the FUD. Research the options that match your requirements and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

Also a two EV household, about 15k+ each per year. One charger, not a problem. The missus normally leaves very early so on the very odd occasion she can plug me in for a few hours at the cheap 9 hour night rate when she leaves house. But very rare, once or twice charging each car per week normally suffices.

We also get a little into either car via solar for about 9 months of year.

Everyones position is different, but we find driving EVs very convenient.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Two EVs since 2020 with big batteries too (124kWh+). One charge point, never an issue, maybe 3/4 occasions when we used Granny Cable at same time as charge point. Above average mileage too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When I was living with the ex-wife we were a two EV household, she was driving the Ioniq and myself an original e-Up! no worries keeping the two cars topped up. Shared the charge point between the two cars, very occasionally would need to put hers on for a couple of hours before switching them over.

The e-up! needed a charge every other day and the Ioniq every 4 with normal usage. We'd use the Ioniq for longer drives when we were together.

THANK YOU for all the replies and the detailed information, greatly appreciated.

shows that a 2 x EV Household is easily doable with one charger.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Two EVs charging one night on and one night off. I'm a long distance commuter 3 days per week and my wife works locally but travels around Leinster for her job a few times per week. No problems to date and we charge one of the cars every night between 11pm and 8am on a night rate. Neither of us uses fast chargers.

In my opinion it's what every household will be doing in 10 years but convincing people to get there is a big issue as it requires a new way of thinking. We need more information out there about charging from home and how easy and seamless it is, even with two EVs.

There's a guy on Instagram at the moment who owns a Dublin based hair extension clinic going after Audi Sandyford because they apparently sold him a car with 350km range and he's only achieving 250km on 100%. The guy clearly bought the wrong car and didn't do his homework and you've got the usual people telling him how great he is going after Audi. It's all about educating the public. It's very easy to run one or two EVs if you buy the right cars with enough range for your families driving habits. One home charger is essential with a timer either on the car or the charger itself.

In my opinion we are at a point now where families are buying one or two electric cars and getting on great with them and then you have everyone else who thinks they are a government led conspiracy and will refuse to buy one until some day by complete fluke they drive one a d realise they aren't all that bad. There's very few people sitting in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭fafy

Yes, education very important. But it is a “change” issue too, and many are totally incapable of any change whatsoever., even those whose lifestyle and driving distances, are perfectly suited to an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Reading through this thread I'm wondering what a video titled "2 cars one charger" could possibly be about.

Seriously though, we've 1 ev and 1 ice at the min. Next purchase in a couple more years will see the ice replaced. Will never go back after.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

In 2022 we had 2 ICE. Then an EV and an ICE. Then an EV and a PHEV. Now 2 EV.

2014 Audi A6 diesel and 2016 VW golf petrol.

2022 Cupra Born and vw golf.

Cupra born and 2018 530e.

Cupra born and Etron.

Did very well on the sales of the A6, Golf and 530e losing quite little. Overpaid for Born based on today's prices but got great deal from my dad on the Etron.

Cannot see it changing for at least 3 years now, both EVs coming out of general warranty in 2025 but don't think it will be a reason to change. No charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't understand why EV owners get so uptight about predicted ranges.

They are exactly the same as the predicted mpg the ICE owners were told for decades, a load of lies when it coked down to it.

"You'll get 75mpg off this new Bluemotion diesel", yet you got 55 or 60.

They just have to learn to take them with a pinch of salt. If you're told the ev you're interested in can do 500km, it can probably do 400km. But owners will moan, despite driving 40km per day.

Advertisement