Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida to ban under 16 yr olds from social media

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You presented no evidence though. You're entitled to you opinion but all I see is the usual rightist victimhood narrative.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Ah here. You're all over the shop. You actually haven't a clue what you're talking about. You think I'm COMPLAINING that they're left-leaning? 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆 We're on the same side you wingnut. What was that about victimhood again?

I am in no way a right-winger. Not even slightly. It's ironic in the extreme to accuse someone of playing the victim as you yourself get the wrong end of the stick and try to play the victim card yourself. Nothing I have said is pro- right or left. I just said they all change their logos (and provided pictures as EVIDENCE) when the time comes. I also pointed to their Ts &Cs and put Boards forward as an example, but you've gone and ignored all of that and claimed I never provided it. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

If Social Media sites were filled with the right-wing hatemongers and MAGA crowd, they'd crumble as people leave in droves when this logo change happens. Like what happened with Musk, when he allowed the Xenophobes to proliferate. Tumblr, Reddit, Insta, Facebook etc..... all have policies forbidding the sorta shite that is synonymous with the right. Have look through my posts, I was advocating for union membership recently on a thread, the complete antithesis of right wing ideology.

That's pretty embarrassing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6278213/

Yes, social media use is linked to increased depression, self harm and suicidal thoughts in children. That anyone would argue against this because Republicans is pathetic. You can find any number of articles about teens who killed themselves after being bullied on social media. Keeping as many younger teens off this as possible is a good thing, and many parents and people who work with kids would agree. Maybe 14 or 15 is a more reasonable age though. Not that they won't just open accounts anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

It feels a little weird to me that the two things are being brought up in the same thread. But I guess a lot of threads on an Irish chat forum involve American political talking points.

I myself do not have strong feelings either way on either guns or social media. My philosphy on life and parenting is I will put things in the hands of my kids that I feel they will benefit or learn from.

So while I am not against social media per se I simply have seen no reason or benefit for putting a phone in my kids hands just yet, or to sign them up to any social media or communications platforms. I am not in the "If I give them this they will have more chance of depression or suicide". I am just "I see no reason to give them this stuff".

But I have put a gun in my kids hands. My son is 9 and I just started him. And my daugther is 13 and she has been using rifles since she was 9. I see a benefit in this on a few levels. I am not "pro" or "anti" gun. I am just in the "Here is a hobby they might enjoy and learn from and benefit from".

I can't get myself into this strong "pro" and "anti" head space on most things. I generally just look at things on the level of "Is there an overall benefit of this that would accrue if I introduce it into my kids lives?".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kids will just put in different date of births or ages when they sign up. I doubt ‘e-vetting’ is possible

no facial recognition will be able to 100% know a persons age. Some 18 year olds look younger and lots of 16 year olds look older.

Tiktok is now in the last year or so is full of kids from id guess 14-17…. I’ve been using the app since around 2019….

its not unusual as you scroll through to see the odd kid in their live wearing their school uniforms even.

with the young wans wearing about 4 kilograms of makeup, caterpillar eyebrows…talking to some dude on the African subcontinent around 25 who asked to join the live…. Kids only too delighted with the bit of attention…

It’s dangerous , but Tiktok can’t be responsible, parents are ultimately but we know how unfashionable parenting is these days here…. And if something dodgy happens… society points the finger at TikTok, Facebook , twitter…. instead of the parents..Which is bölllocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Why do you have to say 'we're done' to anyone who doesn't conform to your opinions, or bend to your will? Do you realise the way you come across by saying that, regardless of whether you're right or wrong? Do you think you're special or something?

No need to answer, I won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you seen the people that those 66 year olds have been electing, based on how they have been mal-informed on social media?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am so glad that the internet and social media wasn't around in my childhood.

I would also agree that social media should be restricted to over 16s and for sure it needs far tighter regulation. Parents are also need to set a good example for their children and posting selfies and inane musings on FB all day long is not being a good role model.

Many people of all ages are now addicted to FB, TikTok etc. these days and it is not a good thing in any way- it's further isolating people and another driver of the loss of community and the atomisation of society.

The USA and UK are a bit further down the road in this respect than Ireland, and it's a very sad - and concerning - state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Strange country is america.

No social media. No beer until 21.

No hassle getting high powered guns though.

I think their priorites are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very sensible decision by the those politicians. Nice to see a positive news story come out of Florida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've got a small selection of young relatives in Florida, one Irish parent. They range in age from 9 to 16, and so this is a pertinent issue for them.

And I can tell you that the only thing that concerns the parents, is guns, not social media, which they are easily able to control on the devices with which they have provided the kids.

In fact, the DeSantis administration, in interfering with social media access, is the most UNrepublican, BIG-government thing they could be doing!

Meanwhile, my family are paying 30k in fees every year to send the kids to private day-school, to lessen the chance of their being murdered with a legally circulating gun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

It’s impractical to enforce. Smart under 16 years old kids will easily circumvent these laws. Such artificial barriers will be a challenge that may encourage them to find work arounds. Bragging rights? Efforts to be adult? Feelings that their rights are being blocked by old folks? Or by politicians who are just point scoring for the next election?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Is there a relationship between Florida anti woke interests and age restrictions for social media access?

Many Irish posters on this thread are unfamiliar with the thousands of banned books in K-12 libraries in Florida and mostly red states dominated by Republican and those of a particular religious orientation. In Florida it’s a large part of their anti woke crusade led by Governor Ron DeSantis and related lobbyists.

Florida is also the same state where DeSantis has been at war with Mickey Mouse and his magic kingdom. The same state that just recently removed sociology from the core Gen Ed curriculum in their public universities. All a part of the anti woke movement in Florida (whatever woke is).

Ironically, if you ask many of these anti woke folks to define woke, they often come up with many different answers. And most are clueless as to the origin of the word. There was a scholarly study that investigated this, but I don’t have time now to search for it.

Contrary to this Florida anti woke trend, our California town has a banned books section that’s open to all in the public library. Of course, this may be cause for California to sink into the sea like many Republicans would hope for. 🙀🙀

Hope your town has a drag queen story hour for full effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What's a banned book section? books banned by who?

It never going to happen because the kids will find a way around it and it would be impossible to do.

reading culture is very interesting: Disney World has a TV ad at the moment that implies that if you bring your pre-teen and teens to Disney they will magically return to childhood, they will put their devices away, wear matching t-shirts in family photos. The implication is that childhood is a time of pure innocence that is destroyed by becoming a teenager and social media and Disney can bring it back.

Disney marketing is playing into the zeitgeist of the moment.

Today had various CEOs being grilled by US senators. Would seem to be quite a bit of scrutiny at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Just because a school doesn’t want a book in their library doesn’t mean their banning it, sure you can bring up the whole school board trying to moralize etc. but calling it banning is a bit much. If someone wanted to open a Jordan Peterson section at a Californian school I’m sure you would have many critics of the Florida policy getting hot and bothered.

On the contrary, all Peterson books are on our California town public library shelves, including the chapter one pseudoscientific lobster informing human behavior metaphor.

Peterson books don’t qualify for the psychology stacks, rather in self-help. From an etic perspective, it’s worthwhile to have such books available to critique, whether you agree or not with all or portions of Peterson. Book bans don’t help.

This raises the question if such books should be available for discussion on social media? For example, to what extent would a highly critical review of Peterson’s content and context adversely affect the self-help needs of under 16 males; or for that matter those over 16 well into adulthood?

There’s a Peterson Philosophy forum thread that ran for awhile on boards (that some would label a social media platform), that tended to be highly critical.

Post edited by Fathom on

Regarding book bans, see Miami New Times, Education, 17 October 2023: “Updated List: Every Known Florida School District Book Ban.” Accordingly, Florida was the number one leader of school libraries book banning of the 50 states.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, you wouldn't. This insistence on rightthink and censorship is solely the preserve of the right.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

The banning of JK Rowlings books from certain sellers is clearly the right at work. Most be nice to have such a dogmatic view of things.

H. H. Asquith

True, banned from the bookshelf but still available to order. They also did similar with the works of Robert Galbrait unsurprisingly.

H. H. Asquith

Marvelous, we can agree on that. Don't forget, Correlation is not causation.

Well, no. You made an absurd claim with no source. The books weren't banned in any way.

As I said, we're done.

H. H. Asquith

Correlation is a necessary but insufficient condition for causation.

Advertisement