Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida to ban under 16 yr olds from social media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I have no real issue with adjusting rules on social media tbh. But you're equally right that there's far more serious issues that directly affect youths in the US, this is just low hanging fruit at best.

Also their terror about children or teens reading any books that they don't agree is batshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Are there far more serious issues affecting teenagers? Like what?

There were about 7200 teen suicides in 2022 compared to 1300 gun murders. Suicide is a huge issue and social media drives a large part of it. Suicide is the second leading cause of death behind

I didn't actually thing people would argue against protecting children from social media during their forming years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What proof do you have that social media is responsible for this alleged number?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I already said I have no real issue with it. Although I'm not sure if you can definitively say social media is the driving force and the research says similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Re: Enforcement, as it was mentioned in the OP.

The social media company get fined if there are underage people on the platform. Like now when there are u13s on it.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. It will also help against online groomers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Haha good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is a great move. I would be very surprised if anyone who works with children aged under 16 does not think social media is bad for children's health. Of course social media is still fairly new, but society should have started moving towards greater regulation by now. This is an important move in the right direction.

I would like to think our own leaders would prioritise youth mental health, but they have no spine, wouldn't want to upset tech companies, and won't follow suit. I'd love to be proved wrong of course.

None. In the last 20 years, both male and female suicide rates among young adults have increased significantly, 60%.

Studies show that social media has a negative impact on the mental health of teenagers. There isn't enough data yet to show the full effect of social media on teenagers. But then the question is do you take actions to prevent that rate of suicide increasing or do you wait for the data and then take action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Correlation is not causation.

Republicans have been shutting down attempts to stop school shootings for decades. This is from the same script as the pro-life nonsense. It's about culture war and nothing else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Is that because you yourself base your vote on what you read on social media or are you basing your believe that over 66 year olds base their vote on what they read on social media because of what you read on social media? Or is just that you think everyone over 66 is stupid?

• Advertisement

I didn't say that it was down to social media. I even stated that we don't yet have the data to show it is. But social media does lead to poorer mental health in teenagers. And I propose doing something to stop the increase in teenage suicides and removing something shown to affect their mental health is a good step.

This bill has huge cross party support. But you continue lying about who supports the bill and arguing against points that no-one made.

So you support a completely pointless measure in a country with virtually no social supports, widespread availability of firearms and a toxic culture based on materialism.

We're done here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Hmmm, just around the time that social media exploded, the rates of depression amongst teens also began to explode.

This seems like a good measure to me. There are far to many feckless parents that not only don't actively parent or monitor their children's social media usage, but far too many that are not even aware of it. I wish I could say I was shocked and supprised at the number of 8-10yr old with their heads burried in phones for hours a day on social media, but sadly, I'm not.

Once again, correlation does not equal causation.

H. H. Asquith

I don't think its a completely pointless measure as I think social media is harmful to teenagers.

Id also love to see gun controls brought in and proper social supports put in place. But since they have absolutely nothing to do with this thread I'm not sure why you are brining them up.

It comes across as a cynical attempt to control what younger people can access while ignoring actual problems. Social media should be regulated but this should be done at a federal level.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why don't they introduce a social media license.

To obtain one you'd have to do a test to show you can tell the difference between real and fake news.

As much as they care.

I can't see them doing this.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Why bring it up, then? What's the point of raising the subject if it has no relevance to the topic? If someone said the number of sexual assaults had trebled since the year X and I then chimed in with stats about the number of red haired children born since then, people would want to know what point I'm trying to make.

Nice graph. Has there been anything else occurring over the past number of years that might have affected kids' mental health negatively? No, nothing comes to mind? Must be social media, then. Couldn't possibly be the fact that the world is burning, we're poisoning the planet, the pandemic, the realistic chances of owning your own home disappearing and a whole host of other independent yet related issues, no? Must be tiktok, so.

This Maude Flanders, hand-wringing hyperbole does nobody any favours. I'm shocked that you're so familiar with the phone habits of so many 8-10 year olds. How many do you hang around with all day and how do you know it's social media they're watching? Are you looking over their shoulders? And how do you know their parents aren't monitoring their usage? What's that? You don't know? You're just making up soundbites out of thin air to dress up your authoritarian stance to make it seem more palatable? I mean, who'd argue against kids

Bingo.

They like 'em dumb, over in 'Merica. And in Florida, they like 'em even dumber and Republican. Social Media is left-leaning for the most part. They don't want no more lefties, in their ideal world women would be barefoot and chained to the stove/bed, pumping out enough cross-eyed crotch goblins so they can join the military and invade [insert land full of brown people here] under some false pretense. Fattening the pockets of themselves, their family/friends and their benefactors is all they care about.

It's also about control. Land of the free, my hole. I break my bollocks laughing every time I hear someone say it. "We gots 45 different types of milk, and only two political parties. I can pick from two hunnert and fifty brands of 'tater chips, but I hafta use that horspital over there because my health insurance says so. All the fast food you can shake a stick at, but if you ain't no god-fearing bible basher, you cain't hold public office in 7 states".

• Advertisement

Bingo.

They like 'em dumb, over in 'Merica. And in Florida, they like 'em even dumber and Republican. Social Media is left-leaning for the most part. They don't want no more lefties, in their ideal world women would be barefoot and chained to the stove/bed, pumping out enough cross-eyed crotch goblins so they can join the military and invade [insert land full of brown people here] under some false pretense. Fattening the pockets of themselves, their family/friends and their benefactors is all they care about.

Do you have any proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

If you had to pay for an account like a subscription per year, would that deter people a bit?

Sorry but the idea that social media is left leaning is absurd. Feel free to provide some proof.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably the people who make the laws. So, we know how'd it go.

I said mostly left leaning.

Sure, there are pockets of right-wing friendly spaces, but the vast majority do not allow or accept anything like hate speech, xenophobia, sexism, racism, or any of the other crap that is allowed in these pockets. They're almost all about being inclusive and acceptance of people for who they are.

Take a look at their logos during pride week for a start. Twitter has done a complete 180 in recent years after space Karen bought them but he's bearing the brunt of that decision every day. Hell, take a look around Boards, ffs. You think Boards is anti-abortion? Anti-gay marriage? Anti-government?

Doesn't matter, it's still a ridiculous statement. Since you've no evidence, we're done.

H. H. Asquith

If you can't prove it then why bring it into the thread. That's your standard so apply it to yourself.

But I can prove it's my opinion ....here you go: "This is my opinion"

• Advertisement

Way to refute the points made, ignore the evidence submitted and dismiss the topic altogether. Reeeeal mature discussion tactic, lemme know how that works out for you. Or don't. Yeah, maybe don't.

Since you haven't been able to do anything other than say it's ridiculous, you are indeed done.

Advertisement